Help to find a burial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to find a burial

I have just received the death certificate for my 2 x great grandfather George Chipperfield. He died 26th January 1894 in the registration district of Greenwich, sub district of Deptford North, county of London.
    A couple of years ago I went to Woolwich. as he had lived there, and searched some burial registers but could not find him. Now I have the certificate can anyone point me in the right direction to find the burial. I no longer live in the area and am in sheltered housing, so any help is gratefully received
    Thank you
    Ann

It's not on FMP or Ancestry, Ann. Will look elsewhere.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Not on FreeReg and Family Search either.
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Katarzyna
        Thank you for looking
        Ann

Comment

not on the NBI either that I could see, what it might need to be is that you contact all the cemeteries near to the address on the cert, which would be a long process but you might be lucky.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

That seems to be my best option thank you
            Ann

Comment

Might he have been taken to Brookwood (near Woking) on the necropolis train?

Unfortunately, Brookwood is privately owned and I think there is a charge for looks ups. Perhaps there might have been an obituary/notice of funeral arrangements in a contemporary local newspaper.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                Might he have been taken to Brookwood (near Woking) on the necropolis train?

Unfortunately, Brookwood is privately owned and I think there is a charge for looks ups. Perhaps there might have been an obituary/notice of funeral arrangements in a contemporary local newspaper.

Jay
                that's a good idea about the obit Jay, that might be an easier route to go down first.
                Julie

Comment

Another thing to consider is WHERE he died -was it at his home address, in a hospital/workhouse, at the home of a relative? People were not always buried in the same area as the district where the death was registered.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Another thing that you may have to take into account is that this is only five years after Greenwich was transferred from Kent to Greater London, and there may have been some old cUstoms (with regard to burial places) that were still followed.

You could try http://www.findagrave.com/ - but Janet's suggestion of local newspapers is probably the best one.

I only know that I have a Grandfather in Brookwood because my Aunt told me as we were driving past on our way from Kent to Wiltshire.

Geoff

Comment

Thank you all for your help. He died at his daughters address. What is worrying me is that it is probably a paupers funeral as was his wifes in Woolwich/Plumstead, I doubt if there was any notice in the papers. I found his wifes burial in a book held by the council in Woolwich, and it told me the cemetery and plot number. If there is the same for the area where he died I just don't know where to look, as he was definitely not in Woolwich.
                      Yours gratefully
                      Ann

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Oldie View Post
                        Thank you all for your help. He died at his daughters address. What is worrying me is that it is probably a paupers funeral as was his wifes in Woolwich/Plumstead, I doubt if there was any notice in the papers. I found his wifes burial in a book held by the council in Woolwich, and it told me the cemetery and plot number. If there is the same for the area where he died I just don't know where to look, as he was definitely not in Woolwich.
                        Yours gratefully
                        Ann
                        maybe the library would help? [near to the address of the daughter] if there is a local studies section they might have the parish records of the cemeteries on fiche that you can access and find the information that way. I know that I have had some success doing this, Also the local council for that area may have their burial records online and are often searchable and free for all to look at.
                        Julie

Comment

What about www.deceasedonline.com - I finally found a cremation after years of looking in a private crematorium.

It's not complete by any means but is adding info all the time.
                          Last edited by JBee; 15-09-14, 12:03.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
                          X