Searching for a man!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
    this is how I would [did] fill it in.. I also added Philips parents names in the box where you put the 'Title of Record or book' I copied and pasted the book title then added the parents names after; Parents: Peter Dolan & Louisa. [but all you can see is the first part of the title when you put it in]

I am sure that if there is a problem that they would get in touch, I do know that there is a phone number as some of our members have actually telephoned them, but I don't know the number.
    The 'Item or Call Number' can be found at the bottom of baptism page [in which case it's this I think!] MM9.1.1/J3NS-95N

you will need to add this in that box.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I have a laptop and will try using that.

In the meantime I have found a record of Francis King's marriage to Louisa Bamford ( yes! It does say Louisa Bamford) on the 17 th March 1845 at Bakewell, Derbyshire. Francis is said to be widowed! FHL File number 1041681 Can a copy of the marriage cert be got from GRO?

So, it would seem that Louisa had Philip by Peter Dolan then a few years later married Francis King. What happened to her relationship with Philip's father? Did he die? Did they get married? Did he just dump her when he found out she was pregnant? Was he already married?

Oh, so many questions and so few answers.

Kev

Comment

The 'Item or Call Number' can be found at the bottom of baptism page [in which case it's this I think!] MM9.1.1/J3NS-95N

you will need to add this in that box.
        Success!!! I used my laptop, filled in the details and after a few seconds, the message "Your request has been submitted" hurray!

Hope I get an email now

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by Thetallone View Post
          I have a laptop and will try using that.

In the meantime I have found a record of Francis King's marriage to Louisa Bamford ( yes! It does say Louisa Bamford) on the 17 th March 1845 at Bakewell, Derbyshire. Francis is said to be widowed! FHL File number 1041681 Can a copy of the marriage cert be got from GRO?

So, it would seem that Louisa had Philip by Peter Dolan then a few years later married Francis King. What happened to her relationship with Philip's father? Did he die? Did they get married? Did he just dump her when he found out she was pregnant? Was he already married?

Oh, so many questions and so few answers.

Kev
          yes you can order from GRO the Bamford/King marriage Jackie posted the ref for it upthread. [post #22]

I had been looking at the Kings in the census and it seemed to me that Francis had been married before, as the children on the census were being born around when Louisa was having Philip. On later census it shows that there are at least 3 children that are born to Louisa & Francis, therefore Philips half siblings.

Also upthread, I did spot that a Peter Dolan was married and living in the Sheffield area [Brightside Brierlow] I think says he was b. about 1810 in Ireland [if my memory serves me right].
          Julie

Comment

Success!!! I used my laptop, filled in the details and after a few seconds, the message "Your request has been submitted" hurray!

Hope I get an email now

Kev
            they won't send you a confirmation email about it, you will just receive a zipped file that you have to download, you can also do the same thing with the marriage if you find it on Familysearch, and it'll save you £9.25 [but, if you want the cert for your own records then you can apply to the GRO]
            Last edited by Darksecretz; 16-05-14, 12:27. Reason: nevermind!
            Julie

Comment

Peter Dolan & wife Ann

1861: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=5

1871:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=8767

1881: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=7619

1891:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=7572

will have a look to see what else I can spot.. this might or might not be relevant IF it is the right Peter of course!

marriage:
              Name: Peter Dolan
              Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1843
              Registration district: Sheffield
              Inferred County: Yorkshire West Riding
              Volume Number: 22
              Page Number: 431

these are the list of potential wives:

Ann Dunn
              Margaret Golligby
              Mary Hill
              Ellen Roche

and a sheffield death

Name: Peter Dolan
              Estimated Birth Year: abt 1818
              Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1891
              Age at Death: 73
              Registration district: Sheffield
              Inferred County: Yorkshire West Riding
              Volume: 9c
              Page: 228
              Last edited by Darksecretz; 16-05-14, 12:44. Reason: adding
              Julie

Comment

It was the iPad that was the problem. They are sending me an email about iy. I'll pass it on when I get it as other members may find the information useful.

Do you know how long it will be before I get the answer to the request? As long as a piece of string??

Comment

not sure now about the above, the eldest child is Francis he was b. 1844 Ireland [so it says on the census] I can't spot the family at the moment in the 1841/1851 cens to say whether it is them or not!..
                  Julie

Comment

yes you can order from GRO the Bamford/King marriage Jackie posted the ref for it upthread. [post #22]

I had been looking at the Kings in the census and it seemed to me that Francis had been married before, as the children on the census were being born around when Louisa was having Philip. On later census it shows that there are at least 3 children that are born to Louisa & Francis, therefore Philips half siblings.

Also upthread, I did spot that a Peter Dolan was married and living in the Sheffield area [Brightside Brierlow] I think says he was b. about 1810 in Ireland [if my memory serves me right].
                    Post#22 is a record of entry in a census. It's the one that shows Mary Bamford as a servant girl. I find this very interesting! Is she another relation or just by coincidence has the same name as Louisa before her marriage to Francis?

I'd rather pay GRO! It's a damned sight easier than the other place but don't GRO want vol and page number? I only have the HHL number.

Comment

Sorry it should say FHL number.

Comment

It was the iPad that was the problem. They are sending me an email about iy. I'll pass it on when I get it as other members may find the information useful.

Do you know how long it will be before I get the answer to the request? As long as a piece of string??
                        they say between 6-8 weeks.. but some have had replies within days of requests, I think it just varies really. [and for a free service you can't really moan ;) ]

I look at it this way, they have been waiting there for lord knows how long, so a little while longer won't hurt..
                        Julie

Comment

Post#22 is a record of entry in a census. It's the one that shows Mary Bamford as a servant girl. I find this very interesting! Is she another relation or just by coincidence has the same name as Louisa before her marriage to Francis?

I'd rather pay GRO! It's a damned sight easier than the other place but don't GRO want vol and page number? I only have the HHL number.
                          at the top it has the King marriage, hang on i'll get the ref for you
                          Julie

Comment

ta-da!

Name: Louisa Bamford
                            Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1845
                            Registration district: Bakewell
                            Inferred County: Derbyshire
                            Volume Number: 19
                            Page Number: 316

Julie

Comment

ta-da!

Name: Louisa Bamford
                              Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1845
                              Registration district: Bakewell
                              Inferred County:  Derbyshire
                              Volume Number: 19
                              Page Number: 316

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...=3+4&ml_rpos=1
                              Ordered! Delivery date not until 9th June though.
                              Last edited by Thetallone; 16-05-14, 13:42. Reason: Additional info

Comment

so, we have Philip whose parents appear to be Peter Dolan & Louisa Bamford, her mother is possibly Hannah Bamford. I'll have a look to see if I can spot a death for Hannah.
                                Julie

Comment

GOT IT!

1841: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=8912
                                  Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1325; Book: 16; Civil Parish: Tankersley; County: Yorkshire; Enumeration District: 4; Folio: 7; Page: 6; Line: 23; GSU roll: 464275.

Philip DOLAN aged 1 living with Hannah BAMFORD aged 60

that is the connection I'll bet she was his grandma!
                                  this might be Hannah in 1851; http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...v=1&ml_rpos=16
                                  Julie

Comment

This does look like her BUT on the 1841 census she was aged 60 and Philip was with her. Now there is no Philip and she has aged 15 years in 10 years! I notice too that she is a widow so presumably there was a Mr. Bamford at some point.
                                    Last edited by Thetallone; 16-05-14, 15:29. Reason: Extra note

Comment

This does look like her BUT on the 1841 census she was aged 60 and Philip was with her. Now there is no Philip and she has aged 15 years in 10 years! I notice too that she is a widow so presumably there was a Mr. Bamford at some point.
                                      yes, but you have to remember that on the 1841 census ages were rounded down so ages can and often do appear 'out' on other census.

*The ages of people over 15 years old were usually rounded down to the nearest 5 years. For example, someone who was actually 24 years would have their age listed as 20, and someone who was actually 27 years old would have their age listed as 25.
                                      source: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/...bid=8978&enc=1

though I have seen 1841 census with peoples actual ages on.
                                      Last edited by Darksecretz; 16-05-14, 15:33.
                                      Julie

Comment

yes, but you have to remember that on the 1841 census ages were rounded down so ages can and often do appear 'out' on other census.

source: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/...bid=8978&enc=1

though I have seen 1841 census with peoples actual ages on.
                                        Ah. I didn't know that. It seems very likely that this Hannah is Philp's grandmother, after all, how many Hannah Bamfords would there have been born in Wortley which is quite a small place. What concerns me is where was Philip?

Comment

When the 1841 census was carried out, how was it done? Did the enumerator visit houses or did people in the village go to meet him somewhere and give their details? I ask because on th 1841 census if I remember correctly the "place" at the side of Hannah says "forge" Is this where the census was carried out,ie the forge, or did people actually live at the forge as was the case at Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet in Sheffield? Perhaps we'll never know.

Comment

Working...
                                          X