Help please re sending e-mails-SOLVED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please re sending e-mails-SOLVED

Can anyone talk me through this in layman's terms please?

I have recently taken over my husbands computer (from XP on old to Win 7 on this one) and he thought that he had transferred everything over ok. However, after he had removed everything from my old one I first of all discovered that, although I am receiving my e-mails ok on Windows Live Mail (I was previously on Outlook Express), my contact list had vanished. NOW though, the main problem is that I have discovered that I cannot SEND e-mails. I get this sign come up, which I have been told means Incorrect mail server settings and I need to check against those supplied by my ISP. My hubby doesn't know anything about being supplied with settings and we are stumped as to what to do. -

The server does not support a SSL connection.

Subject 'Cookies'
    Server Error: 250
    Server Response: 250 SIZE 41943040
    Server: 'mail.btinternet.com'
    Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC7D
    Protocol: SMTP
    Port: 25
    Secure(SSL): Yes
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 11-04-14, 08:41.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Seems loads of people have this problem, but I can't find a definitive answer. You will need to configure Live Mail for BT mail server settings.

There is an interactive wizard that may help, but as I don't hve BT email I can't follow it through: http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=Email

Failing that these are the settings you need to put into Live Mail, but as I don't use it I don't know where they should go:-

•Incoming Server - imap.mail.yahoo.com

•Outgoing Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com

•Incoming Port - 993 (requires SSL)

•Outgoing Port - 465 (requires SSL/TLS)

•Username: full email address

•Password: the password you login to BT Yahoo mail

Hope this helps.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thank you very much Pete Unfortunately I have just discovered that I have to log off, so will have to try it later. It sounds very promising though and will let you know how I get on. Thank you again - much appreciated

Comment

You could try using the BT webmail. I THINK your contacts list should be on there but not sure. I have btinternet and only use the webmail (not a computer based program) and can then access my emails from anywhere.

Log onto the BT website and look for the email link at the top right. You will need your BT password.

Anne

Comment

Thank you for trying Pete That link was for Yahoo Mail though and I can send from there but not from my main user Windows Live Mail.

Thank you Anne I just tried your suggestion but when I put in my log in details it just took me straight to my Windows Live page. I didn't see any reference to Webmail

Comment

How strange! Maybe someone who uses both can help. You should get a login form for emails on the BT website. As far as I know you don't have to do anything special except know your BT password.

Anne

Comment

Just thought I would let everyone know that we ended up removing and re-installing Windows Live. This time it downloaded version 12 and everything was ok. Thank you all for trying to help

Comment

Working...
              X