Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 medal

Hello all

Among my grandad's WW1 medals is one which doesn't belong to him, obviously I don't want to reveal the name here. I don't know why he has it, maybe he was keeping it safe for someone? Anyway the reason is immaterial now.

I know it sounds silly but I wouldn't like to advertise this medal as belonging to such and such in an effort to try to reunite it with it's owners family, as Iwouldn't want just anyone claiming it to be their relatives but I would appreciate any help in how I might go about this.

The medal is at my mum's and I won't be going there again till Easter hols in a couple of weeks to get the name again, I've forgotten it offhand.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thank you, Amanda

The medal should have his name, rank, regiment and service number on it.

If you are lucky (and remember only 30% of WW1 records survive) you may be able to find his service record and then take it from there. Even a DOB would help, as you might be able to find him on the 1911 census and then trace forward through birth/marriage records, electoral registers etc. to a living relative.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

I didn't look that closely before, obviously. I'll take a better look next time and see what there is - thank you Pete for the tips.

Amanda

Comment

Have you had any luck yet with this one Amanda?
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Oh rats, thanks for reminding me Chrissie! Went to mum's just last weekend but had 'oldies' duties to help them with and totally forgot.

Will try better next time.....

Comment

Just wish WW2 medals had names on them - I've got my uncle's medals - but which uncle???? Two uncles have same initial and it was only name and initial on box.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

JBee... Are there any service numbers which would help you to distinguish them?
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
                Just wish WW2 medals had names on them - I've got my uncle's medals - but which uncle???? Two uncles have same initial and it was only name and initial on box.
                My uncle's WWII medals were engraved, though I suspect his father had them engraved.
                They were all awarded posthumously except for the 1939 to 1945 Star.
                I assume he got that for his part in the Norwegian campaign as I have a photo of him in uniform wearing that ribbon.

They were all campaign medals 1939 to 1945 Star, France & Germany Star, Defence Medal and the War Medal 1939 to 1945.
                Unfortunately the were stolen in the 1970s and I have not been able to trace them since.
                If by any chance they do turn up I am willing to pay for their return.

They are easy to identify as they all bear the inscription Lieut J.P.H. Guy.

Cheers
                Guy
                Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

No these WW2 medals have nothing on them. Also the address was the same as they were both living at the family home.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                    My uncle's WWII medals were engraved, though I suspect his father had them engraved.
                    They were all awarded posthumously except for the 1939 to 1945 Star.
                    I assume he got that for his part in the Norwegian campaign as I have a photo of him in uniform wearing that ribbon.

They were all campaign medals 1939 to 1945 Star, France & Germany Star, Defence Medal and the War Medal 1939 to 1945.
                    Unfortunately the were stolen in the 1970s and I have not been able to trace them since.
                    If by any chance they do turn up I am willing to pay for their return.

They are easy to identify as they all bear the inscription Lieut J.P.H. Guy.

Cheers
                    Guy
                    I'm not thrilled by any sort of theft, but that kind of thing carries an extra level of offence in my eyes,

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Just bought duplicates of OH grandfather's medals from WW1. Still have the originals and bought new ribbons for them. The reason for buying duplicates is because in Oz, even though the originals are not worth much, we've been told for OH to wear originals in parade but if he goes to 2 UP at returned soldiers club and takes off his jacket they are often stolen. It was suggested he give me the originals and he wears the duplicates.

Tora

Comment

What was the name of the person the OP is referring to?
                        Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
                        Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
                        Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Comment

Working...
                        X