My grandmother have no past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi again!
    Still waiting for some documents, but I received my grandparents marriage certificate today. I go two question:
    On the marriage certificate, the signatures is not my grandparents,
    The document I received with this has a question mark on my grandmothers fathers name.
    Is it possible that I can find some kind of registration somewhere that acutely shows my grandparents signature?
    I have uploaded the document that came with it.
    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

So I am back at stage one, saying..I got nothing.
    Still waiting for Queenies birth certificate.
    Best regards
    Diana

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Fronaeus View Post
      Hi again!
      Still waiting for some documents, but I received my grandparents marriage certificate today. I go two question:
      On the marriage certificate, the signatures is not my grandparents,
      The document I received with this has a question mark on my grandmothers fathers name.
      Is it possible that I can find some kind of registration somewhere that acutely shows my grandparents signature?
      I have uploaded the document that came with it.
      Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

So I am back at stage one, saying..I got nothing.
      Still waiting for Queenies birth certificate.
      Best regards
      Diana
      The register with your grandparents signature on is held at the local Register Office where the event took place, what you have now is a copy of the entry in the register that they sent to the GRO for the central records.

For your grandmother's father's name on the certificate is it just a question mark? Can you do a scan and crop the bit where it has his name so we can see?

Margaret
      Last edited by margaretmarch; 25-03-14, 16:49.

Comment

If there is no name for her father she was unable to give one which usually means a person is born illegitimate and does not know their father's name.

Who are the witnesses?

Margaret

Comment

The witness relatives grandchild I found. I have asked about them, and the person did not have any knowledge about my grandparents. X had never meet X owns grandparents. But they had 20 children and 17 reached the adult age. This John was in the marina Navy, and on the wedding certificate, my grandfather states he is a marina. They moved from Cardiff to London I think it was.
          I don´t know what this mean Margaret, does it mean I have to visit the local Register Office to see it?
          I have cropped it and it is just a Question mark nothing ells.
          Make me think in terms like..she was all alone. How sad.
          It dose not look bright.
          Best Regards
          Diana
          Last edited by Diana Fronaeus; 25-03-14, 17:14.

Comment

Diana

I'm not seeing the marriage cert when I click on your link above, I'm only seeing a copy of your ORDER FORMto the GRO, where there is a question mark for Cissie's father's name(Prsumably because you did not give his name when you ordered).

What does the marriage certificate say for Cissie's father's name

OC

Comment

To see the marriage cert OC you have to click the back < it's just before the order form. The fathers name is given as William, an Engine Fitter.
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Ah, thankyou Chrissie!

Diana - the question mark is of no significance then, as it only appears on your ORDER form (meaning you did not specify a father's name).

OC

Comment

since they married at the register office in cardiff, if you want their signatures, you could ask them to scan the signatures. we don't seem to be able to find your grandmother with certainty in the 1911 census, and no william's with engine similar occupations.

Comment

I have just been in Cardiff trying to find out more about my grandmother and her family. I did not know what I would look for or even what I was going to do once their. My second day I visit the http://www.glamarchives.gov.uk/ and they helped me to look up the address we had, 81 Clive street, Glamorgan, Wales, and guess what... I found my grandmothers father name on that address William Richards and his wife Sarah.
                    They lived there, according the the post address from 1914. From their I went on and found 1911 Census, then they lived in Canton. The explanation to this could be that the houses in Clive Street was build about that time.
                    From a letter my mum received from her sister there is a discussion that grandmothers sister should have moved to Canada and married. I did not find "Maud" in Canada but by the border Montana.
                    So what I got now is the following:
                    Grandmothers name was: Elsie Richards (but she called her self for Cissie, which later on became her name).
                    Born in Cardiff, Wales
                    Year 1893
                    Died 1963 Brisbane Hospital Australia
                    Married: 1913
                    Spouse: Thomas Dunstan Lee
                    Siblings: According to census 1911 there are three siblings
                    Willie Richards Born: 1887
                    Maud Richards Born: 1889
                    John Richards Born: 1891
                    Elsie (my grandmother Cissie) born 1893

Grandmothers brothers are the next one to find out more about.
                    I wanted to thank you all for the help, I learned some things on the way.

Comment

Diana,
                      Thank you for updating us. We LOVE to hear of a member's progress and success. Well done for persevering with your search.

jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

What a great result - people are just a pain when they change their names lol.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Such an interesting read. Well done to everyone on the quest for the Grandmothers past, you always come up trumps. x

Comment

Diana

do come back if you need some more help with the siblings
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                            X