X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murgatroyd

Hi forum its sad but dont know anything about my family roots
    All i know is as far back as my Grandfather

Brian and Alma Murgatroyd, Bradford (both deceased)
    i think Brian might of been from Lincolnshire but not sure.
    Children: M, B, J, B, P, W, J & J
    (full names removed)

Its not much for me to go on :(
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 17-01-14, 11:46. Reason: removed names of living people

Welcome to the forum.

I am sure we can help you find something about your roots but before we go any further can I ask whether the children you have listed are alive or deceased. We do not allow the names of living people to be posted on the forum, so I may need to edit your post.
    Elaine

Comment

Hello macmac and welcome to FTF.

Interesting - I see TWO marriages for Brian Murgatroyd, one in 1951 to ALMA and the second to S..... in 1956. Both women have the same maiden surname. Sisters? It may just be coincidence of course!

You need to buy the marriage cert. That will give you the names of their respective fathers which will help you to go backwards.

OC
      Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 17-01-14, 12:13. Reason: name edit ..

Comment

VERY STRANGE! There is a death of an Alma Murgatroyd in Sept. 1956, but her age is given as 76 - I wonder if this is a mistake and she was 26?

OC

Comment

macmac - have sent you a PM (personal message) - click on notifications at top right of screen.
          Elaine

Comment

I have edited the first post as it contained names of living people.

I think initially the best way forward would be via PM (personal message) - so if anyone feels they can help perhaps they could contact macmac privately.
            Once we have some more details of deceased family members then obviously info can be added to the thread.
            Elaine

Comment

Hi it was Alma but i think she died in the 1980s Bradford

Comment

Is this Brian's death :

Birth 7 Jan 1928
                Date of Registration: Dec 1995
                Age at Death: 67
                Reg. Dist:Bradford
                Reg No: B54A
                District: 0811B
                I can't see a death for Alma at the moment.
                Last edited by Katarzyna; 17-01-14, 14:03.
                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

If that is Brian's death and the birth date is correct then the only Brian I can find registered in March 1928 is at North Bierley, Yorkshire Vol 9b Page no 89.
                  Cannot see one in Lincolnshire. Mother's maiden name was Hallsor.
                  North Bierley Created : 1.1.1892 (out of Bradford registration district).

A marriage:
                  Gertrude Hallsor to George Murgatroyd Sep 1916 N.Bierley 9b 35

You must have the marriage cert of your grandparents first so you can check these names. Do you have the marriage reference for their marriage?
                  Last edited by Katarzyna; 17-01-14, 14:28.
                  Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post

You must have the marriage cert of your grandparents first so you can check these names. Do you have the marriage reference for their marriage?
                    Just so you know - I did send macmac the registration details of the children listed in the first post, plus some other possibles I found. He also has the reference details for the MC - which I have advised him to get.
                    Elaine

Comment

Thanks to all will let you know how i get on with the MC . Got so much more info thanks Elaine Spain

Comment

So you don't think he married twice, then?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                          So you don't think he married twice, then?

OC
                          OC, there was an Alma Murgatroyd born 1880 in Bradford - this Alma was a HE, I've never come across Alma as a male name before. He [Alma M.] is probably the death you referred to.

Comment

Thanks Susan. Just seemed a bit of a coincidence that two men named Brian Murgatroyd married two women with the same surname in the same place, but perhaps a coincidence after all.

(Wasn't there a place called Alma? Crimean war? Perhaps that's what the male Alma was called after).

OC

Comment

Working...
                            X