Polish family history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polish family history

I have spent many years doing my family history ,extending as new members have been added to the family through birth and marriage so that my grandchildren might see their roots. My newest member is a Polish daughter In-law so I would now like to research her family but where is the best place to look for records to back my research up? Any ideas would be most welcome.

familysearch have a few records
    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
    Angelina

Comment

and the reference library here has many links

good luck in your hunting
      Angelina

Comment

A lot depends on where your DIL was born.
        I was lucky in as much as my parents in law came here after WW2 having spent time in Russia from 1939 and then after 1942 with the British Forces. They kept all their wartime documents. They eventually became naturalised here. I have been able to find a lot of information via LDS films I ordered from Utah - baps, marriages and even parish rolls listing whole families in villages for my Father in Law written in Polish and Latin. My mother in law has been more difficult as she came from Russian partitioned Northern Poland before 1918 - All documents written in Russian:(

If your DIL was born in Poland then you would need to get her to ask relatives to garner much info as possible just as you and I did probably to start our own trees. If she can get all those documents from Poland back to WWI time you should then be able to look at LDS films to find further descendents.

It's a bit of a minefield and many times I just wanted to give up! Also remember that many documents were lost during the two World Wars and other upheavals during the last century.

Good Luck!

If you need any help you can pm me and I can try to find out for you.
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I think all her family come from around Bydgoszcz in Poland. She is the first of her family to come to England. I am going to get her to write down as much information as she can get from her family. I recently let my ancestry subscription lapse and wondered if it would be helpful to get a world subscription as they are offering me a years sub for price of 9. Any thoughts?

Comment

Ancestry does not have any records for Poland :(
            Kat

Comment

http://www.cyndislist.com/poland/ Cyndis list is a very informative place to look just have a browse through the link to see what is available for Poland

Edna

Comment

That's good to know. Thank you.

Comment

Unfortunately Poland is poorly covered online. There are marriage projects, where volunteers in archives take down marriages and put them in a database. The one I used was the Poznan project, but there are other polish states too. Usually mid to late 19th century covered. Don't forget all the border changes between Germany, Russia, Austria etc. and the renaming of German towns by the poles after World War Two. Best bet would be to see if the Lds have the films you want.

Comment

Yes, I know BYdgoszcz was at one time German so this will add to my problems. I think this is going to be a difficult task but I feel I must do it as I have done it for the other grandchildren and if this child remains in England it would be a shame if it's polish roots were lost.

Comment

You might find this article by Peter Gwozdz interesting. A good place to start for getting your head round Polish records on LDS whenever you eventually need them. The time Line shows you what a continously disruptive history Poland had. The author covers North Eastern and Southern Poland mainly but the time line and general approach to the records would be applicable to Prussian Polish records too.

Kat

Comment

Working...
                      X