James Stewart (b1797) and Janet Leslie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Stewart (b1797) and Janet Leslie

I have this married couple having a daughter Jessie Ann in 1823 along with other children George, James, Andrea and Ann. I am stuck finding who James' parents are. I can't even locate their marriage notice that might give me both sets of parents. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks

Terry Gibb

Do you know which area they lived in? Where were the children born?
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Terry,

as Sue says if you give us a little more information then we can help you to possibly find the records that you are needing to progress. Where have you looked? do you have them on any census at all? where were they born? is this in England? or Scotland or somewhere else?
      Last edited by Darksecretz; 03-12-13, 18:54.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I cannot find any of them in familysearch, so some more information would be helpful.
        I doubt, however, that you will find any parent information on a marriage record prior to 1823, unless they were witnesses.
        Diane
        Sydney Australia
        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

thanks for your responses - I'll keep looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Gibb View Post
            thanks for your responses - I'll keep looking.
            Terry,

if you would like to give a little more information then we could help you look, ideally we would need a year of birth/place of birth and where they would be living [if not in their home county]
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

This is really a late response but ... James Stewart b June 18 1797 in Aberdeenshire, Janet Leslie b Apr 291794 Old Machar Aberdeenshire and they had 5 kids - George, James, Andrew, Ann and David. Most of this info is confirmed but I need more info on the parents to ensure everything is ok.

Thanks in advance,

Terry

Comment

If either died after 1855, their parents' names will be on their death certs.

OC

Comment

I know this a shot in the dark, but Scottish naming patterns have worked 99% of the time for me, especially in Aberdeenshire. The oldest son is usually named after the father's father, second son is named after the mother's father, oldest daughter is named after mother's mother, second daughter is named after father's mother. If the children listed in post # 7 are in birth order James father should be George and Janet's father should be James. Hope this helps.
                  genienut

Comment

??????

Scotland, Select Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

Name: Janet Leslie
                    Baptism Date: 29 Apr 1794
                    Baptism Place: Old Machar,Aberdeen,Scotland
                    Father: James Leslie
                    FHL Film Number: 991142

Baptised 29 April 1794, not necessarily Born that date

I note however that 2 Public Family Trees on ancestry claim that the Jane Leslie baptised 29 April 1794 married James Shepherd baptised 18 June 1797, Old Machar
                    Last edited by Sylvia C; 17-05-15, 01:01. Reason: adding information
                    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Terry

The 1814 m for Janet Leslie to James Shepherd gives George as her father:

Old Machar 19th February 1814

James Shepherd and Janet Leslie both in this Parish signified their purpose of marriage by George Leslie her father and after being thrice proclaimed, they were married

Maybe she re-married a James Stewart??

Do you have the dob of the children??

Vera

Comment

Working...
                      X