Canada Voters Lists, 1935-1980 Look Up Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada Voters Lists, 1935-1980 Look Up Please

I am trying to find what happened to family who emigrated to Canada in the early part of the 20th century.

I have them on the 1921 Canada Census, on Main Street, in Portsmouth, Kingston, Ontario
    James Edward ATKINS, born 1886 (census has 1887) in England and his wife
    Mary Jane ATKINS, born 1889 in Towersey, Bucks (now Oxon), England
    also their son
    Kenneth James ATKINS, born 1920 in Ontario

I believe all of these people to be deceased, as I have found reference to their burials in Glenhaven Memorial Gardens in Kingston.

I'd like to know where they are on the voters lists and who they are with (assuming they are voters too).

Please could someone with access to these records look them up for me. I have very little family abroad and so have full UK Ancestry access but not worldwide. I think I've found them in Kingston, but can't click through to see the full record. Have managed to search the 1921 census for free via www.ancestry.ca.

Many thanks in advance

Helen

Kingston, Ontario
    559 Princes St
    James Atkins -Chief Keeper
    Mrs James Atkins

2 Awlington Avenue
    allan D Atkins - Soldier
    Kenneth Atkins - Soldier
    James Atkins - civil servant
    Mrs James Atkins

Others at this same address
    Biggs Edward - Soldier
    Biggs Mrs Edward
    Binnette Roger -Soldier
    Binnette Mrs Roger

2 Awlington Avenue
    Atkins James - civil servant
    Atkins Mrs James
    Atkins Mrs Kenneth
    Atkins Kenneth - civil servant
    Cawdwell Uneeta - clerk

208 Concession St
    James Atkins -retired
    Lois Atkins - Housewife
    Mary Atkins - manageress
    Kenneth Atkins - civil servant

208 Concession St
    Kenneth Atkins - Dept of Justice
    Lois Atkins - housewife
    Mrs Mary Atkins - widow
    James Biggs - salesman

Mrs Mary Atkins - widow R.R. 6 Kingston
    Kenneth Atkins Asst Warden R.R. 6 Kingston
    Mrs Lois Atkins - housewife R.R. 6 Kingston

Cannot find them after 1965
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 28-11-13, 20:14.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Kat, thank you so much. The name Uneeta is interesting, its been mentioned in conversation with the family but this is the first time I've found any mention of it in the records. Thank you, Helen

Comment

Just a thought, is there any later mention of Allan D Atkins after 1945, suspect he is a second son. Thanks, Helen

Comment

Not in Kingston, Helen.
          Kat

Comment

thanks for looking

Comment

Hi Helen,

There is an Allan Douglas "Tommy" Atkins who died 24 March 2004, and is buried at Glenhaven, Kingston Ontario. I find him on ancestry.ca .

I also found the same man in the 1996 and 1997 voters list as living at 1098 Kings West, Kingston Ontario.

The find a grave site has an obituary for him. I am going out for the day, but if you need any help or images, just let me know.

He must have been born after the 1921 census, as he is 83 years old when he died.

bcbrit
              George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Strange I cannot find those on Ancestry UK Canada voters lists.

Just seen ours only goes to 1980 - wonder why that is?
                Canada, Voters Lists, 1935-1980
                Kat

Comment

thanks to everyone, I've found Allan's obituary on newspaper site, not totally convinced it is him, but through the info on the obituary I've tracked down some people who have his descendants in their trees and I've sent them private messages to see whether its the same Allan, thanks again for all your help

Comment

hello helen

I know this is an older post but i came across it as I searched for Kenneth James Atkins ......I am kinda interested in why you are searching this family? Im sorry let me introduce myself my name is Alicia and I am wondering because if you have any questions I am sure I can answer most of them for you or would be able to get the answers by asking family members.....Yes Allan "Tommy" Atkins is the second son and yes they are deceased .....Kenneth James Atkins and his wife Lois Atkins are my Grandparents and Allan is my great Uncle......

Comment

It might be worth sending Helen a PM too as this is an oldish thread and she hasn't been on the site since August - if she has a current email address she will get a notification that there is a message for her.
                      Caroline
                      Caroline's Family History Pages
                      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by ali27 View Post
                        hello helen

I know this is an older post but i came across it as I searched for Kenneth James Atkins ......I am kinda interested in why you are searching this family? Im sorry let me introduce myself my name is Alicia and I am wondering because if you have any questions I am sure I can answer most of them for you or would be able to get the answers by asking family members.....Yes Allan "Tommy" Atkins is the second son and yes they are deceased .....Kenneth James Atkins and his wife Lois Atkins are my Grandparents and Allan is my great Uncle......
                        Hello Alicia
                        Good to hear from you.
                        Mary Jane Smith who was married to James Edward Owen Atkins in 1918, is my husband's great aunt Mary, always talked about in the family as "Aunty Mary who went to Canada". My husband vaguely remembers Mary and James (we think he was known as Jim) visiting his parents Florence Mary (nee Goodchild, known as "Did") and Leslie Joseph Miller, probably in the 1960s. We have always wondered what happened to their descendants.
                        Mary Jane's parents were Thomas Smith and Jane (nee Wright). Mary Jane had an older sister Annie, who was my husband's grandmother. Annie married Harry Goodchild in 1918 and they had 5 children, Winifred (Win), Elsie, Florence Mary (Did) my husband's mother, Thomas (who died in infancy) and Ernest. I think this makes you and my husband second cousins once removed, as Kenneth and my husband's mother would have been first cousins.
                        I hope this all makes sense.
                        Helen

Comment

Working...
                        X