William Charles Smith Born 1790 in London / Middlesex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Charles Smith Born 1790 in London / Middlesex

I have traced my Smith side back to my third great grandfather, William Charles Smith (1790 - 1849) who was married to Sarah Smith (maiden name unclear but also born in 1790). They are parents to Charles Smith (1816) who was married to Emma Lymes (03 Sep 1833). Others on this forum may recall that it has been difficult to get this far with the male line all having names including William and/or Charles.
    I am now stuck. Having gone past the start of civil registration I can see no records on Ancestry that give me any clue to his parents although there are several records that could be criminal convictions they shed no light on his ancesters.
    I would be very grateful for any help or advice here, please.

From Westminster Baptisms on Findmypast;
    William Charles baptised 12/4/1791 in St. James, Piccadilly...............Father John, Mother Susanna

Comment

Have you found William Charles Smith and Sarah in the 1841 census, if so can you give the reference?
      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
        Have you found William Charles Smith and Sarah in the 1841 census, if so can you give the reference?
        Yes, the reference I have is:

Class: HO107; Piece: 353; Book: 13; Civil Parish: Cheltenham; County: Gloucestershire; Enumeration District: 35; Folio: 33; Page: 22; Line: 16; GSU roll: 288767.

although I have found many Smiths with similar names!

Comment

Thank you so much for this, Alan. I have after much searching found this record on Ancestry and have incorporated it into my tree. It is odd that it did not come up on my earlier searches. It is also strange that on Ancestry that there is no image to accompany the transcription.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert of LadywellVillage View Post
            Thank you so much for this, Alan. I have after much searching found this record on Ancestry and have incorporated it into my tree. It is odd that it did not come up on my earlier searches. It is also strange that on Ancestry that there is no image to accompany the transcription.
            have you tried looking on www.familysearch.org for the baptism Robert? that is another place that you can search for pre 1837 records.
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NRNV-N38 familysearch does not give much more but his birth date as 4th April

Edna

Comment

That St James Piccadilly baptism is for a Charles William, not a William Charles by the way. Do we know we're looking in London for certain as the 1841 census is for Cheltenham ? Where did Charles and Emma marry ?
                Rick

Comment

Found it - St Pancras Parish Chapel. But the image clearly shows it is Emma Symes, not Lymes. Witnesses Charles Symes & Francis or Frances Cooke Williams
                  Last edited by Rick; 20-11-13, 20:28. Reason: typo
                  Rick

Comment

Thank you all for your help thus far. I have uploaded my GEDcom to FTF now in which I have included the information gleaned from this thread.
                    Charles (1816) and Emma married in Camden, Middlesex. There are so many version of the Smith forenames that I would not be surprised if the names William and Charles were sometimes transposed. The Smith family have resided mostly in Middlesex and also Limpsfield, Surrey.
                    Last edited by Robert of LadywellVillage; 22-11-13, 12:44. Reason: miss spelt William!

Comment

Working...
                    X