Nicholas Svombo and Anne Cleopatra Svombo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicholas Svombo and Anne Cleopatra Svombo

My great grandfather, Nicholas Svombo was born in about 1828 on the Greek Island of Hydra. In 1854 in Queenstown (now called Cobh), County Cork he married a local girl Ellen Barry. Their first child was born in Queenstown the following year. They moved to Cardiff in 1855/6 where they had a further nine children. My paternal grandmother was their ninth child.

I would like to know who Nicholas’ ancestors were, it has been suggested that his father’s first name might have been Lazarus as that was the name given to Nicholas’ eldest child.

Nicholas died in Cardiff in 1876, his youngest child Anne Cleopatra who was then three years old was sent to live with relatives in Greece, I wonder why? It has been said that years later two of her elder brothers on a visit to Greece did see her. What happened to Anne Cleopatra?

Greece seems to be a very neglected area as far as records go it appears. There are no records on Ancestry, Family Search (LDS) or Find My Past as far as I can see. I wouldn't know where to start! Perhaps someone else has some ideas.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Google the Greek Consul in London for Research advice.

Comment

hello Peter,

having a quick google I found at least two sites that could be very interesting

greekgenealogy.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, greekgenealogy.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thank you Julie and Alan :-)

Comment

Peter,

do you have Cleopatras b/cert at all? it doesn't mention Anne as a name in the index.

Name: Cleopatra Svombo
            Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1873
            Registration District: Cardiff
            Inferred County: Glamorgan
            Volume: 11a
            Page: 257
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Julie,

No I haven't got her b/cert. I also found the same birth registration information.

When my grandmother, Cleopatra's elder sister, and my grandfather moved from Cardiff to Yorkshire they lost touch with the family in Wales and it was not until I started researching my family history that I became aware that my grandmother had siblings; their names were passed on to me by a new found relative.

I am wondering if perhaps the name Anne was added when she was baptised. I have seen other examples of additional names being added at baptisms.

An entry on Family Search https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/SY4X-BYT submitted by a user lists Anne Cleopatra Svombo.

I have sent a request to the Glamorgan FHS, which I belong to, for someone to look up her baptism record.
              Last edited by Peter46; 15-11-13, 11:28.

Comment

FMP has images of Glamorgan Parish Registers - but Family Search only throws up a couple of marriages, so the relevant baptism records may not be there.

The register indicates that Nicholas, a ship broker, was dead by 15 Dec 1896, when Calliope married William SPENCER. Emily SVOMBO was one of the witnesses. Calliope reciprocated when Emily Augusta was married to widower William Henry CLEMO, (ships) engineer, on 17 Jul 1899.

There appears to have been a Trumpeter SVOMBO in the 3rd Glamorgan Artillery Volunteers in 1874 - according to the newspapers, later that year he is described as a bombadier, and in 1875, 1876, 1877 and 1881 as a sergeant. Similarly, there was a Cecilia SVOMBO, a barmaid, who was a trial witness in 1887.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you Christine for your information very interesting.

Nicholas Svombo died on 4 Feb 1876 at 22 Adam Street, Adamsdown, Cardiff.

I had a very quick response from the Glamorgan FHS - Anne Cleopatra was baptised on 24 Mar 1873 at St David's, Catholic Church (not the cathedral). It has been suggested that perhaps the priest insisted that she was given a saint's name.

Comment

Working...
                  X