No announcement yet.

john and martha dunford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it more likely he was a captain in the army - each regiment in turn did a regular stint of training at the Curragh camp in Ireland. Additionally there were army barracks around the country used by the military, in the same way that there were army personnel at Aldershot, Colchester, Maidstone etc. Also, some of the English landowners in Ireland had sons who had had a commission in the army and retained the title "captain" when no longer on active service.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

thank you for this.can you think of any way.i can find out more about him and miss walsh.if he lived in ireland or in britain.did he have only one son john dunford born 1790.waterford ireland.can i find his parents .or brothers and sisters.i think we might break down this brick wall and find out more,thank you again bob dunford

Comment

it seems to early for a census 1811.it would be great if we could.but thank you.from bob dunford.wish we could find another family tree with john and martha in it.

Comment

then found john dunfoord married martha ? in 1811 at st marys church .liverpool john dunford born 1790single. martha born 1790. spinster.
          Does the marriage entry give a marital state for John and does it actually give an exact age for bride and groom, or say “of full age”??
          Of full age means both parties were at least 21, but not necessarily both of the same age. It was used to describe anyone no longer a minor – so could be anywhere between 21 and 81!
          Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 04-05-13, 13:43.
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

traced family back from john Dunford born 1812

John dunford born 1812 baptized at st marys church liverpool lancashire.england
            father john dunford .mother martha dunford
            john dunford born 1790 in waterford ireland.baptized at st patrick and st olaves church .waterford ireland.
            father james dunford.mother margaret dunford.
            james dunford married margaret walsh.in 1789 at st patrick and st olaves church waterford ireland.
            also it has come to my wabsite captain dunford married miss walsh in 1789 at st patrick and st olaves church waterford ireland.
            cannot find martha dunford maiden name
            or if james dunford and captain dunford are one of the same.
            if so was captain dunford in the british army or navy.what records can we find.

Comment

Bob

Not sure why you've started a new thread. The other one has all this information.

OC

Comment

Both threads have been merged.
                Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

bob,

you still havn't explained why you think john dunford was born in 1790 in waterford, ireland.

Comment

the dunford family tree

you have helped me out so much .in finding my family tree from Mary Ann Dunford and John Francis Dunford 1858, To finding the Birth and Baptism of John Dunford Born 21 Oct 1812, Baptized 25 OCT 1812. at St Marys Church Liverpool. Lancashire. England. Father John Dunford, Mother Martha Dunford
                    But this is where we hit a Brick Wall .Could not find Martha.s Maiden Name Could not find any Marraige of John Dunford to Martha in England or Wales .So was asked to try Ireland .Found a John Dunford, Born 1790 Waterford Ireland, But no Marraige .They Tried in Ireland. But no use, Said try back in England again.So this is where i am at .Can you help.If you look up my Family Tree in Family Tree Forum ,You will see it all .Plenty there to read.if only i could break down the Wall.from bob dunford

Comment

just had a reply from Ireland they said our John Dunford ,born 1790 in Waterford. Ireland, could not find a Marriage to any Martha.Tried all over Ireland nothing .We think you should try England again, He must have got Married in England or Wales.Back to the brick wall i think.from bob dunford

Comment

A very Big Break through just Happend,Martha and john Dunford first News
                        from Wiki Project Team ,And G2G FORUM
                        Martha was Born about 1791 according to the 1851 Census
                        This Document also Lists her as being a Widow Then,John Dunford had Died
                        She is Visiting ,7 Slade Street,Liverpool
                        the Home of Metes Family
                        Thomas Metes.Ellen Metes,and there 1 Year old Daughter Ellen,
                        Metes ,Thomas, Head of Family ,Male Age 30,Born 1821,Mariner,Woolwich ,Kent
                        Metes ,Ellen ,Wife,Married ,Female ,Age 22,Born Abt 1829,Liverpool,Lancashire
                        Metes ,Ellen, Daughter ,Unmarried, Female,Age 1 ,Born 1850.Liverpool,Lancashire
                        Dunford ,Martha,Visitor ,Widow, Female ,Age 60,Born 1791,,Liverpool,Lancashire
                        Here are the Children of John and Martha Dunford
                        John Born 21 Oct 1812 ,Bap ,St Marys Church ,Liverpool
                        Thomas Born 17 Feb 1815,---------------------
                        William,Born 17 Feb 1818-----------------------
                        James Born 6 Nov.1923-------------------
                        Helen ,Born 30 Dec 1824----------------
                        It is Possible that Ellen Metes ,Born about 1829 ,Is the Daughter,Helen ,of John and Martha
                        Martha.s Husband John Dunford may have Died in Liverpool in 1837/38/39
                        More Research Needed
                        1851 Census HO107.PIECE 2177,FOLIO 638,PAGE 38
                        ANCESTRY LIVERPOOL CATHOLIC BAPTISM
                        FOUND BY MARTIN ALLEN
                        THURSDAY OCT 10,2013
                        we are now getting there at last
                        FROM bob donford

Comment

john and martha dunford

cannot go any further with my family tree,
                          came to this brick wall,
                          my great grand father and his brothers and sister
                          john dunford born 21 oct 1812.baptised 25 oct 1812 ,at st marys church ,liverpool.father john dunford,mother martha dunford
                          thomes dunford born 17 feb 1815,baptised ,1815 at st marys church,-----------------------------------------------------
                          william dunford,born 17 feb 1818,baptised 22 feb 1818 ,at sy marys church ,----------------------------------------------
                          james dunford,born 6 nov 1823,baptised 1823 at st marys church ,--------------------------------------------------------
                          helen dunford born 30 dec 1824 baptised 15 jan 1825 ,at st marys church,------------------------------------------------

next we find two of his sons thomas dunford .and william dunford marraige at st peters church. both living at bevington street liverpool,
                          cannot find any more about john and martha dunford,ner maiden name,there marraige,there death or graves ,nothing can any body help please so i can carry on with our family tree from bob dunford

Comment

I have moved the thread to where it is more likely to be seen.
                            Caroline
                            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Bob

you already have several threads about this family and on one you say you have now found the baptism of Martha. To find your other threads, enter "Dunford" in the search box on the dark blue bar at the top of this page.

OC

Comment

Hi Bob
                                I have checked on ancestry & found a John Dunford b. 1780/1790 Waterford, Ireland. Married a Martha in 1811 at St. Mary's Church, Liverpool. Burial 13 December 1837 in St. Anthony's parish (Catholic). Children as you mentioned. The parents of John are seen as James Dunford & Margaret Walsh. Could this be the John you are looking for?
                                Hugs Chrissy x

http://www.theprimitivecornishhovel.blogspot.com

‘Dance as if no one's watching,
                                sing as if no one's listening,
                                and live everyday as if it were your last.’

Researching: Ballaam, Doyle, Bembridge, Burbidge, Clare/Claar, Struggles, Ward, Pykett, Chapman, Foster, Lane, Laws, Leggott to name but a few....

Comment

do you have the marraige certificate of john marring martha at st marys church 1811.because this is what i cannot find .it might even give martha.s maiden name ,from bob dunford

Comment

I don't think they issued Marriage Certificates in those times. Registration didn't begin until 1837 and compulsory c1875.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                      Bob

you already have several threads about this family and on one you say you have now found the baptism of Martha. To find your other threads, enter "Dunford" in the search box on the dark blue bar at the top of this page.

OC
                                      To further help you and anyone trying to help, I have merged all your threads together so they are now in chronological order as you posted them.
                                      Caroline

Comment

john dunford and martha dunford
                                        all lived at ryans place .naylor street ,st marys parish .
                                        john dunford carter with stable at ryans place naylor street
                                        source gores diectory 1827
                                        then in early 1830 move to titchfield street st anthonys parish
                                        where on the 12 august 1837 john dunford born 1778 died of fever age 59,of ryans place naylor street ,while living at titchfield street .john dunford son born 1812 paid for funeral and burial of his father,
                                        source st anthonys burial records,
                                        (so the search of john dunford born 1790 ireland,is the wrong dunford tree,our john dunford was born 1778,died 1837 at titchfield street ,father of john dunford born 1812,now we are burning on gas)
                                        and now we know where they lived in st marys parish ,at ryans place,naylor street ,now is there any way to trace the whole family living in naylor street ,it might help to find more on martha dunford,

roman catholic law ,you cannot baptize your children or marry only if you live in that parish,
                                        so with this in mind
                                        thomas dunford before july 1837,he moved out of titchfield street st anthonys parish to bevington street st peters parish to marry sarah williams of that parish,john dunford father ( one month before he died)was at the wedding

in 1839 william dunford done the same ,he moved out of titchfield street st anthonys parish to bevington street st peters parish to marry ellen carroll,
                                        john dunford brother was at the wedding,

thomas dunford and sarah dunford then moved back to st anthonys parish ,burlington street to be close to his family
                                        john dunford,born saturday 11 november 1837,father thomas dunford mother sarah dunford.of burlington street st anthonys parish
                                        but john dunford died and buried sunday 25 of august 1839,of burlington street liverpool.

next we find 1851 census
                                        john dunford 37 broom maker
                                        anne dunford 30
                                        ellen dunford 5
                                        henry dunford 2
                                        thomas dunford 33 brother-carter
                                        sarah dunford 30 wife
                                        albert dunford 4 son
                                        james dunford 6 son

1851 census,22 dutton street liverpool
                                        william dunford 30 carter
                                        ellen dunford 28 wife
                                        alice dunford 5
                                        william dunford 3
                                        thomas dunford 7 months
                                        elizabeth carroll 14 sister

1861 census 22 wilbraham place liverpool
                                        william dunford 40 carter
                                        ellen dunford 40
                                        alesa dunford 14
                                        william dunford 12
                                        thomas dunford 10
                                        margaret dunford 7
                                        ellen dunford 5
                                        martha dunford 3
                                        elizabeth dunford 5 months

brick walls
                                        now still cannot find marraige of john and martha dunford,maiden name of martha,john born 1778 but where
                                        marraige of john dunford born 1812 to ann ?
                                        now this brick wall we have through ancestry .com .and others
                                        john dunford born 1812 marrying ann campbell born 1819
                                        children
                                        henry dunford born 1849 married ann kelly
                                        ann dunford born 1855 married john .o.brian
                                        john francis dunford born 1858 married mary ann mcmonagle
                                        martha dunford born 1860 married charles corkhill,

also we have
                                        john dunford born 1812 married ann hannah born 1819
                                        children
                                        henry dunford born 1849 married ann kelly
                                        ann dunford born 1853 married john .o.brian
                                        john francis dunford born 1858 married mary ann mcmonagle
                                        martha dunford born 1860 married charles corkhill.

now in ancestry .com and others i have checked you have both families ,but only one is right.which one,
                                        been in with british genealogy and they seem to think that her right nname could be ann hannah campbell,

this is how my search is going can you help please
                                        Last edited by bobdunford; 03-12-13, 16:13. Reason: to help more with our searches

Comment

Bob, can you "private message" me your email address please........I have a list i want to send you and its to big to pm you.

Jacky
                                          Jacky

Comment

Working...
                                          X