No announcement yet.

Brick wall - why can't I find him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the time if his marriage he is listed as military instution manager. He did serve in ww1.

Something else to add, he was always known by Ted which led my step-dad to believe he was called Edward. Again unable to find any Ted Webbs who could be my one
    Last edited by Seg1988; 03-10-13, 21:16.

Comment

My father was called Edward. His mother called him Teddy, his father called him Eddy, other family members called him Edwin (because they also had an Edward). His work colleagues called him Ted. In middle age, he got fed up with all this and started to use his middle name of Graham!

Have you looked for his WW1 records? They may say something about his previous marriage.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
        My theory is that Edwin Webb was born with a different surname, married in that name and then used the name Webb to hide himself from a cross wife or even from the recruiting officer for WW1 - not that that would have been much of a strategy as once conscription was brought in, he would have been picked up no matter what his alias was.

Do you know if he saw active service in WW1?

OC
        It has to be something like that doesn't it? As you have said in a later post the WW1 record may throw some light on the situation.
        Margaret

Comment

Thanks for all your help! I have a quick update...

My step-dad's nephew has also been looking at Edwin Webb's military history and records (no idea he was doing this so quite the coincidence!). He has found an Edward Webb, approx. b1893 in Chatham, Kent, in the 1911 census living in Aldershot as a Private in the 2nd Dragoon Guards Queen's Bays.

I'm wondering if he was called by Ted if the person doing the census assumed Edward?

Comment

Working...
          X