I am new to forums and here is one of my problems in research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am new to forums and here is one of my problems in research

I am a Family History Wizard I have been into the search for many years.
    here is one of my problems in my research that I have:
    there are different sites I have found so I am unsure of William Thompson
    real birth
    date he was either born in 1375 or 1400 one site said 1400 and the
    William that was born in 1375 was his dad. He was born in Dumbarton,
    Scotland his wife listed as unknown. His son was JOHANNES VAN KIRK
    THOMPSON born about 1473 in Dumbarton, Scotland. As a Wizard I am also
    into helping others this is why I decided to join forums on family
    history.
    to your future,

Marcene
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 05-08-13, 19:33. Reason: email address/advertising removed
    to your future, Marcene
    familytreeforum.com

Welcome to the forum Marcene.

Sorry I have had to edit your first post. We don't allow email address to be posted either on the forum or in your location, so I have removed these.

We also have guidelines for advertising which you will find in our Terms & Conditions, details as follows:
    • Members may advertise their personal genealogy based business by adding a single link to their signature.

Not sure I can offer any advice with your research query - we have quite a few members who are very experienced with Scottish research, so hopefully someone can help.
    Elaine

Comment

so I can add my website as follows ? and then do post it or has it been posted as is above?

I am a Family History Wizard I have been into the search for many years.
      here is one of my problems in my research that I have:
      there are different sites I have found so I am unsure of William Thompson
      real birth
      date he was either born in 1375 or 1400 one site said 1400 and the
      William that was born in 1375 was his dad. He was born in Dumbarton,
      Scotland his wife listed as unknown. His son was JOHANNES VAN KIRK
      THOMPSON born about 1473 in Dumbarton, Scotland. As a Wizard I am also
      into helping others this is why I decided to join forums on family
      history.
      to your future,

Marcene
      http://familyhistorywizard.com/
      to your future, Marcene
      familytreeforum.com

Comment

What you need to do is to add your website url to your signature. That way it will appear on every post you make.

If you look at my signature you will see that it is made up of my name and family tree website.

To edit your signature click on SETTINGS (top right of page) - then EDIT SIGNATURE (in left hand column) and then type whatever you want in the text box.

If you are stuck let me know and I can do it for you.
        Elaine

Comment

I may have misunderstood your post, but I really doubt if a man aged 98 fathered a child.

As this is before church records began, I think you will have a poroblem with this, unless the family were important enough to have left other records. (Land transcations etc)

OC

Comment

Birth records prior to 1855 in Scotland are sometimes known but sometimes they are not known as Scottish Church records pre 1855 record baptisms rather than births. I have been researching Family History for well over 40 years, I wonder if that makes me a Wizard!! The following site may help you to clarify what records are available in Scotland to help you:

I find that the further back you go the more difficult it is to be able to trace family with any accuracy, unless as OC has said there is land involved. Even wills only go back to 1513 in Scotland. Baptism, marriage and burial records do go back to 1538, the same as England and Wales.

If you have done all the work yourself, then surely you will know whether Wiliam Thompson was baptised either 1375 or 1400? But I am not sure where you will find that sort of information if registers were not kept before 1538?

William Thompson is a very common name, so how do you know you have the correct William Thompson that you have traced back? I have a William Thompson in my own family tree living in London! If one of the other sites you are referring to maybe Ancestry, then that is one of the most notorious sites for having inaccurate information, and where people have taken other people's trees and latched them on to their own, without checking any of the facts, but you do not need to be a wizard to know that.

If a person is baptised/born 1375, it is highly unlikely that he would be having a son in 1473 at age 98, as OC has already pointed out. Even if he was baptised/born 1400, having a son at 73, when the expectancy of life at this time was about 40, is still highly unlikely.

Janet
            Last edited by Janet; 06-08-13, 15:54.

Comment

A google search throws up two pages of hits for the name Johannes Van Kirk Thompson

Edna

Comment

According to one site Johannes Van Kirk Thomson was born in Dumbarton Scotland in 1400 and was the son of John William Thomson/William John Thomson who was born in 1375, also in Dumbarton.
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

The big problem with Scottish research before about 1600 is that the country was in a continual state of turmoil for centuries. The recent TV series by Neil Oliver, first shown about a year ago, gives a good insight into what was happening. And if you start to follow church records, there were so many schisms and joinings-together of different sects, which continued almost to the present day.
                  Last edited by Uncle John; 06-08-13, 20:13.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

also the fact that he and his father have got more than christian name is also a red flag. even scots royals didn't have those till around 1600.

Comment

I dont think anyone can rely on "sites" for accurate information. The only way is to do your own research to ensure that you have the right line and right people. Unless you have concrete information then its best left off your tree.

Comment

I notice that the father was born 25 years before the son: that is entirely possible... probably the reason for that being a standard estimate in lieu of "unknown".

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I usually think around 25- 35 years for the age of an unknown dad and then try to find them around that date. I think someone has provided some poor guesswork on sites like familysearch. Have to admit that 10 years back I dumped an erroneous tree on familysearch, not realising it couldnt be updated ) and that it was open to the world.

Comment

Working...
                          X