Tough Nut to Crack!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Vonny North West View Post
    Oh, Margaret, again, oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to decieve! I had already thought about that complecation. So now we could have a bigamist as well? This just gets better and better!
    By the way, did you keep the record 94 of his accomplece? I didn't get to keep what you had put on the site about case 94. If you have I will p.m. you and then could you send it over please? Let me know. If not, oh well!!!!!
    I honestly think, as I have stated before, these are one and the same people. We haven't come across any evidence to suggest otherwise. Webster, I believe, has lived by the alias name of Edward James Williams from meeting his prospective new wife until the day he died. From coming out of jail he went to a place he knew. He was given a job by a fishmonger who just happened to be the person who would be his father-in-law. Not wanting for anyone to find out the truth about his past he fabricated a story, including about serving in WW1 to make the story more appealing to the audience he had.
    The problem is, with his fabricated story he had to carry it on until he died. That is why he couldn't claim a pension becuase he couldn't provide proof of birth as Edward James Williams, he had no WW1 discharge papers to prove who he was (as Edward James Williams), that is also why he avoided any government papers - ie, census and electoral rolls. He wanted his tracks covered completely. In the late 1920's early 1930's he would have been ostrasized from society for having a police record. Today it seems very tame.
    O.K. what spin can yo put on this sorry tale?
    Vonny.
    Well, it all seems to add up but until it's proved we don't know!

I haven't got the record of his accomplice but could look it up if you need.

All I can say is that it has to be something like this otherwise you would find him in the census and BMD index.

Margaret

Comment

• Hi Margaret, I did manage to keep the accomplice record afterall. The one I couldn't magnify was the full sheet, but as I've got the smaller piece all the info is on there anyway.

If we can find, from the charge sheet, Webster's (a.k.a. Williams) address at the time that might help, but it is finding the charge sheet. Knowing my luck, he probably was a vagrant!
      When I found my grt. grandfather in court (he did a far worse crime) his origin of birth and address, also person to contact was on it besides his "previous". There is a lot of detail actually listed and that was 1888.
      So, my thought now is where do we find the full court document and the original charge sheet?
      Vonny.

Comment

Hi Margaret, I did manage to keep the accomplice record afterall. The one I couldn't magnify was the full sheet, but as I've got the smaller piece all the info is on there anyway.

If we can find, from the charge sheet, Webster's (a.k.a. Williams) address at the time that might help, but it is finding the charge sheet. Knowing my luck, he probably was a vagrant!
        When I found my grt. grandfather in court (he did a far worse crime) his origin of birth and address, also person to contact was on it besides his "previous". There is a lot of detail actually listed and that was 1888.
        So, my thought now is where do we find the full court document and the original charge sheet?
        Vonny.
        Well it looks from the calendar entry that he was sent down from Newington which is London so maybe start with the local records office there or maybe LMA who seem to collect all stuff from around London.

Margaret

Comment

• Looks like TNA have some more records for Hants which was the first crime listed but not online http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...s?uri=C4224828.

Margaret
          Last edited by margaretmarch; 26-08-13, 10:54.

Comment

• Have a look here for Hants newspapers and local history http://www3.hants.gov.uk/archives/ha...newspapers.htm

Margaret

Comment

• There are several Trees for Harold Ewart Marsh on ancestry - is it worth contacting them to see what they might know about his colourful past??
              Margaret

Comment

• Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                Have a look here for Hants newspapers and local history http://www3.hants.gov.uk/archives/ha...newspapers.htm

Margaret
                Hi margaret, I have had a look at the website, the only newspaper on their which might be worth having a look at is The Hampshire Observer 1877-1957.
                The National Archives seem to only have court records up to 1913.
                There's nothing else on FMP, I had a trawl though this morning.
                Vonny.

Comment

• Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                  There are several Trees for Harold Ewart Marsh on ancestry - is it worth contacting them to see what they might know about his colourful past??
                  Margaret
                  Well, I don't see why not. They may be able to provide address information for the 1920's. I'll go onto Genes Reunited and have a seach of the trees on their.
                  Vonny.

Comment

Well, I don't see why not. They may be able to provide address information for the 1920's. I'll go onto Genes Reunited and have a seach of the trees on their.
                    Vonny.
                    If you need me to I can contact the ancestry tree owners on your behalf to see if they can help.

Margaret

Comment

• Hi Margaret, if you could contact them that would be fine by me - I don't think I would know what to say. I have just noticed looking at our various posts, my spelling is getting worse! Must be old age or too much sunshine!!
                      Thanks for all your help.
                      Vonny.

Comment

• HI Margaret, also meant to tell you that I did check on Genes, no one on there has a tree with "our" names on it.
                        Vonny.

Comment

• Have messaged one of the tree owners and will do the rest as I go along this week.
                          Will let you know responses as I get them.
                          Margaret

Comment

• Fingers crossed we get some good info! Thanks Margaret.
                            Vonny.

Comment

Working...
                            X