Brickwall – George Upton and Unknown Beare in Devon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brickwall – George Upton and Unknown Beare in Devon

I am trying to find a marriage record for George Upton and UnknownBeare (possibly Elizabeth). George’sson, also George, was born abt 1823 in Tiverton and on his marriage certificatehis father was an Innkeeper – this was in 1849. In the 1841 and 1851 censuses, George Jnr and his two sisters werestaying with Beare uncles and aunts in Huxham and Broadclyst. This could indicate that their mother diedwhen they were young.

I have been through the 1813- 1837 marriage books offered bythe Devon FHS for Tiverton, Huxham and Broadclyst to no avail.

Any help will be most appreciated.

BrianBS
    South Africa
    Brian
    Avatar: My wife and I with the family "cat".

Hello Brian, welcome to the Forum.

There is a marriage for a George Upton to an Elizabeth Beare on 2nd October 1821 in Rewe, Devon. This is taken from the Boyd Marriage Index.

Comment

Have found some baptisms from the Devon FHS which could be your family and may be of interest

John Upton 13/7/1827 Tiverton. Father George, Innkeeper, mother Betty
      George Upton 5/12/1822 Tiverton. Father George, Vintner, mother Elizabeth
      Henry Upton 19/11/1824 Tiverton. Father George, Victualler, mother Elizabeth
      Ann Upton 15/7/1831 Tiverton. Father George, Innkeeper, mother Elizabeth

There is also a burial for a Betty Upton on 15/6/1833 aged 45 at Tiverton, Huxham, Devon. A possibility??
      Last edited by Frazzled; 22-06-13, 19:41.

Comment

devon parish records are on FMP, maybe take a loook for the originals there?

Comment

Unfortunately only transcripts are available, no original documents on FMP

Comment

i know some devon records have images, is tiverton in west devon? the plymouth and west devon collection comes from the council and record office. though they don't say specifically that they have images.

Comment

https://familysearch.org/search/cata...nd,%20Devon%22 this is a link to the catalogue from Familysearch to what they hold for Devon, you can click on the number after each entry to see what is available click the blue link to open the page......Edna

Comment

https://familysearch.org/films/looku...w/film/933372/ click this to see the cost and the film for Tiverton which you can order in from your local LDS Centre by giving the film number to them......Edna

Comment

and later.....https://familysearch.org/search/cata...ct_id%3A387306 ....Edna

Comment

I was told that this forum was good and the prompt responses from Frazzled, Kylejustin and Clematised have certalnly exceeded my expectations - thank you.

The marraige record you found, Frazelled, does tie up iro names, time and place. The trick now is to find the record itself so that further advances can be made with the tree (Do marriage records from those days have the names of parents?). In this regard I'll contact the Devon Record Office (although they do not have the means of accepting credit card payments via the Internet) as well as the local church in Rewe, The baptism records are also very useful and I suspect that there was also an Elizabeth Upton born abt 1829 (1841 census - Ann Beare, Huxham). The death record for Betty I believe can be considered as probable given that the children were with relatives from 1841 onwards.

Thank you, Clematised, for your link to FamilySearch and Boyd's Marriage index.

Regards

Brian
                    Brian

Comment

marriages between 1755-1837 should include the names of the parties, marital statues (bachelor, widow etc) which parish they are from, sometimes occupation, and wittnesses. though not all is included.

very rarely is a parent's name given, but usually is for a minor or an important person, like an heiress.

Comment

Thanks, kylejustin.
                        Brian

Comment

Working...
                        X