Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my tree suddenly wrong?

Also posted on Rootschat

For a long tiime the IGI/Family search had a series of Baptisms for Ropsley for a couple but one record has changed (I had copy and pasted the original to my tree), I noticed it after looking on Lincstothepast and now it looks as if my tree is wrong right in the middle of my direct line as this record relates to my 2xgrt grandmother!!

Familysearch shows the following events, the amended record is shown at the end;

Page Goulson
    England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
    christening: 16 Sep 1801 Ropsley, Lincoln, England
    residence: Ropsley, Lincoln, England
    parents: Joseph Goulson, Mary

Richard Goulson
    christening: 10 Apr 1803 Ropsley, Lincoln, England

Mary Goulson
    christening: 06 Mar 1805 Ropsley, Lincoln, England

Benjamin Goulson
    christening: 28 Mar 1807 Ropsley, Lincoln, England

Benjamin Goulson
    christening: 1807 ROPSLEY,LINCOLN,ENGLAND
    death: 01 Apr 1807

Benjamin Goulson
    christening: 07 Jan 1813 ROPSLEY,LINCOLN,ENGLAND

Ann Goulson
    christening: 16 Jul 1810 Ropsley, Lincoln, England
    parents: Joseph Goulson, Ann

There are others at Woolsthorpe, Lincs for Joseph and Mary, 1808, 1816 and 1817 (the last one buried at Knipton, Leics in 1818) then further baptisms at Knipton, Leics in 1820, 1821 and 1823 to a Joseph and Mary. The latter two appear as witnesses on Ann's 1839 marriage cert at Knipton and one of them is with her in the '41. I have several marriage certs for the names given and all, including Ann's, note father as Joseph, blacksmith.

The 1810 baptism of Ann is the only record of a baptism ito Joseph/Ann, I can't find a marriage for them or burials in the places where the remaining names are to be found. Is it an error in the register? The ONLY record quoting a couple called Joseph/Ann is this one form 1810.
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 25-05-13, 04:11.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

i would say mother's name was written incorrectly, especially if details such as father's occupation and their residence match.

Comment

It certainly seems odd

1839 marriage cert says dad Joseph, blacksmith
      1841 census at Yarmouth, born out of county
      1851 census, age 40, born Ropsley, Lincs, nothing later than that as she died in 1857.

The Lincstothepast scan of the register clearly shows parents as Joseph and Ann. Ann jnr just about hangs onto the naming tradition too, four of her children are named after their grandparents but she dispensed with the usual idea of it being the first four.

The big question has always been how did she meet hubby, Ropsley and Knipton are small villages close to Grantham, almost as far from the coast as it is possible to be yet her husband was born in London, served as a mariner until the 1830's then joined the coastguard service and was posted to Suffolk. Grantham isn't exactly on the doorstep and I can't see there was a big demand for the coastguard there, patrolling the Great North Road for smugglers doesn't seem very likely! The Goulson name does appear in Suffolk but no Benjamins there, mostly James and Williams and I have never found a link between the Suffolk and Lincolnshire families.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

maybe she worked in a seaside village her husband visited? or her family went on holiday? maybe they met in london? you really can never know.

Comment

I have a similar instance of change of mother's forename in the bp register, usually Elizabeth, but in one instance, Ann. Luckily for me, the "Ann" entry was in the middle of a string of children; there were no other bps for that surname in that parish register, apart from the later offspring of the first batch of children. (One possibility in my case is that the mother was Elizabeth Ann?? The other is that the vicar made an error.)
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I think the important fact is that child & mother have the same name so an error was made at the time. I have several instances of the same in my own family where wills, census etc. show the truth.

The register was often made up some time after the event either from memory or from scraps of paper. I'm sure we've all had those momentary lapses of concentration when entering info. on our family tree programmes.
            Glen

Comment

I'd say you were right too Glen, It looks like the vicar made an error, like you say things just 'tally'
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I've just been tussling with a similar one. A whole series of baptisms (images of PRs seen) for George and Ann. Right in the middle of the run is one for a child of George and Amelia. This is a very rare surname and I can find NOTHING else for Amelia. I have come to the tentative solution that this is an error in the PR. But who knows ........???

Anne

Comment

If you have access to the original (or an image thereof) check the entries a few before and after. Sometimes the "rogue" name appears. Agree that the events were often copied up later from scraps of paper (paper was a precious commodity) and perhaps it was a cold, winter-time/early Spring task, done huddled up near the fire, by candle-light. (I think the registers had to be up to date - and copies made for the annual returns - by Lady Day, 25th March)
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Just a couple of thoughts
                    Could she have been Mary Ann
                    Has the Day Book for the parish survivedThe diary of day to day 'events', then transcribed from the Day Book into the PRs, also then transcribed into the BTs, do they all say the same

Is this 'an affair'BUT as an 'out of wedlock' child the vicar/cleric were never backwards at that time frame in making sure this was written in the PRs for all to see
                    A visiting or different vicar who baptised this child( didn't know the family)
                    Could it be the wrong surname, rather than the wrong mothers nameChecking the PRs for a Joseph and Ann ? could give you that information to see if there was any other mention of 'another couple'

Although I am with others who say it could be a transcription error, simple thoughtless mistake.
                    Foxyloxy

Comment

Glen thanks for posting this - it reminded me about another Norfolk query I had in my tree, concerning a different mmn. I'd suspected the lady was a widow when she married my ancestor, but the marriage was pre civil registration and the registers were retained by the church. Your question jogged my memory and although the images of the marriage reg for that parish are not on familysearch, the BT images are. So I now have an image of a record of the marriage and, yes, she was a widow. So, thank you Glen ;D
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post

The big question has always been how did she meet hubby, Ropsley and Knipton are small villages close to Grantham, almost as far from the coast as it is possible to be yet her husband was born in London, served as a mariner until the 1830's then joined the coastguard service and was posted to Suffolk. Grantham isn't exactly on the doorstep and I can't see there was a big demand for the coastguard there, patrolling the Great North Road for smugglers doesn't seem very likely!
                        The River Witham may be your answer to that one
                        Foxyloxy

Comment

There are only two Ann entries in my tree, this one and an aunt but dad, uncles, cousins and grandfather are all called Joseoh and all worked as blacksmiths, the families circulated between three pretty close parishes for three or four generations so it could be braibfade that set in, one was well to do with an adjacent parish. Maaybe that has something to do with it too, I'll try and get a lookup done by someone in Lincoln as I never have much look when I try and order anything from them, any mention of a marriage and they seem to have a coldsweat and I'm left wanting.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

are the registers on lincstothepast?

Comment

Ropsley general register for the 1810 period is scanned and online, if memory serves it covers the period from about 1791-1812

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                              X