Part 1 William Edmund Hill b 1816

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part 1 William Edmund Hill b 1816

My ancestor William Edmund Hill b 1816 in Clerkenwell married Ann Evans at Islington.
    They had the following children.

Mary Ann Hill was born 22 Jan1839
    Catherine Hill was born 24 Dec 1840
    William Edmund Hill birth 07 April 1844
    Eliza Hill was born 1 Sept 1846

On the Poor Law Removal and Settlement Records, on 13 July 1847 the family is on the removal orders from St Luke, Shoreditch.
    William, Ann and 3 of their children aged 5, 3 and 3months (I believe these must be the ages when they entered the Workhouse)

Ann Hill died suddenly in bed on 13 April 1850 at City Road, Islington of natural causes according to the Coroner.

On the 1851 Census three of the children Mary Ann, Catherine and William are in St Lukes Workhouse, Old St. Finsbury. The younger daughter Eliza is visiting her Aunt.

I can account for all of the children but I do not know what happened to the father William as there are so many William Hill’s.

Peter Hill

Have you got the marriage record for William and Ann - if so what is his occupation?

Margaret

Comment

Margaret

I have the marriage cert and all their childrens birth certs. On all of them he is a carver and guilder.

Peter

Comment

This is the only thing I can find. However, not finding anything else to support its your William and dob of eldest child would not fit with Ann's death in 1850 unless this is a second marriage for Sarah. William is a Gilder.

Vera

Comment

Vera

Thanks for that link I assumed that he was dead as 2 of his children with Ann grew up with an aunt.
          I have looked at the 1871 Census for Sarah Hill there is one living as a cook at Fore St, St Giles but does not mention that she is a widow. Fore St where is living is where the family had an address on 1846 Post Office Directory the family had an address there.

I will keep searching for him and possibly his new family.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
            http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=5260485

This is the only thing I can find. However, not finding anything else to support its your William and dob of eldest child would not fit with Ann's death in 1850 unless this is a second marriage for Sarah. William is a Gilder.

Vera
            Looks likely a second marriage for Sarah as there is a big gap between the two last children aged 8 yrs and 2 yrs - could be William with her for the last one.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
            X