No announcement yet.

digitisation of WWI unit war diaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hugh served as a gunner with the Royal Gun Artillery (RGA), the private with the Labour Corps (LC) and then private with the Royal Defence Corp (RDC). His service numbers were 6135 (RGA), 422529 (LC) and 89370 (RDC).

He received the Victory and British Medals but not the 1914 Star or 1914/15 Star so he was not in France or Flanders in 1914 or 1915

Sorry I got myself wrong..

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/44847_452094588203951_1357087397_n.jpg
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

It's OK - I assumed he had both medals!

RGA is Royal GARRISON Artillery, by the way
      Last edited by annswabey; 13-04-13, 18:49.
      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I thought that was wrong but I didn't want to assume it was and still have been wrong- if you know what I mean?

Comment

As I said on Lennon's original thread about Hugh, Ann - "He had a long and well travelled career in the army - they are an interesting set of records that give a lot of information. You are very lucky to be able to find such a great source"

Perhaps you have the time that I don't at the moment to interpret them briefly for her...........I found they were clearer to read than many I've seen but I guess if you don't know too much about the military and haven't looked at this sort of record before it can be pretty challenging

Comment

It's extremely annoying Sue, I currently have my usual War/Stockton man going through them now and then I was thinking of posting his info on the origonal thread, compare details?

Comment

Thanks Sue

I'll have a look at them.

Must look at that original thread! Yes, would be useful to post his findings, please.
              Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Will do, I'm not sure if he's doing ALL the pages though, I had to tell him which ones I could understand which were many I'm afraid..
                2128- brother Patrick as Next of Kin. (It's him in the Avatar!!! Thought I might as well give you a hint as to who your reading about. )
                2132- I can make out Malaria & Egypt
                2135- Malaria hospital report.
                2138- Disability.
                2147- Medical
                2149- Medical
                2150- Medical

Comment

Have made brief notes - haven't got time to type it all out. Will email it to you. Let me know if any queries!

Comment

Thank you Anne. I'll post the details from the War dude in the original Hugh's War thread.

Comment

Working...
                    X