FreeREG and marriages - search results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeREG and marriages - search results

I find FreeREG a very useful finding resource, especially for Norfolk research. I've used it mainly to do blanket searches for baptisms & burials and have had some really good breaks. Haven't used it much for marriages, but after playing around with the site over the last couple of days, it seems that only the grooms' names appear in the list of hits. So, unless you already know the name of the GROOM, or the location or year of the marriage, then you need to click on each result displaying "Bride surname". The marriage you're after will be included in the hits (if transcribed and added to the site of course ) but I don't see there's any indication by name as to which precise one it is.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

i do find that quite annoying too janet. it's also a bit annoying that some counties are well covered either on freereg or familysearch spmetimes both, when both will have no coverage of other counties.

i do think though, between, freereg, familysearch, ancestry and findmypast, there is a good collection of parish records. and they can only improve, with yorkshire being fmp's next on the to do list.

Comment

freereg indexes the witnesses! I wish London marriages were entirely indexed thru freereg!

Comment

Another little quirk I discovered this morning & am passing on in case it helps anyone with their Freereg search -

I knew John Reubon Harvey Finch & Harriet Syder married in Norfolk in 1875, but didn't know which parish.
        I did a search for marriage Finch John Norfolk 1875 - no hits.
        Although I've discovered brides do not feature by name in the results of marriage searches, I then searched for marriage Syder Norfolk 1875 - one of the hits was John Reubon Harvey Finch!
        A search of marriage Finch (no forename) Norfolk 1875 produced the same hit.

So, it seems that if the groom is indexed with more than one forename, you won't get a hit by entering just the first forename - best to put no forename at all!

Having said that, I do find Freereg a fantastic resource.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

And of couse its done entirely by volunteers, so I guess we should be very grateful for what there is. It certainly makes you realise what a HUGE task it would be to have most PRs available online.
          Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post

So, it seems that if the groom is indexed with more than one forename, you won't get a hit by entering just the first forename - best to put no forename at all!
            Useful tip, thanks for that Jay.
            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
              And of couse its done entirely by volunteers, so I guess we should be very grateful for what there is. It certainly makes you realise what a HUGE task it would be to have most PRs available online.
              Anne
              Very true, Anne. The free sites certainly have my admiration

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              Useful tip, thanks for that Jay.
              Thanks from me too.

Comment

I knew it existed but haven't used it before this afternoon, and with your useful tip on seaching Janet, I may have made a breakthrough with my reseach. I will keep it in my "favourites" for the future.

Many thanks.
                Vonny

Comment

And the Norfolk images are freely available on the LDS site, so it's easy to check a FreeREG entry.
                  Also, don't forget that there are a lot of Norfolk wills from about 1800-1845 on the NOAH site!
                  Kind regards,
                  William
                  Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Working...
                  X