Thread: Free Kent Online Newspaper Archive

susan h

Free Kent Online Newspaper Archive

Kent Online are giving free access to thousands of pages from South Eastern Gazette, a forerunner to Kent Messenger. Unfortunately for those overseas it is only available for free to UK residents. It's a fantastic resource covering 1852 - 1912.

Register first, then go to online shop where you can add a 1 year free subscription to your basket.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonli...alarchive.aspx

Have fun, it's a great resource.

I found I was already registered - but thank you for the tip about the freebie. My main problem is that I find it quite hard to get the image up to a size that I can actually read! I get it up to their full size, and then I press cmd & + (simultaneously), which works to a point - but the image seems not to be designed to be viewed at any larger magnification than they offer, so it soon degrades.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

susan h
    Christine, did you go to the online shop and add 1yrs free subscription. You should be able to download very good quality pdf files.

Quote Originally Posted by susan h View Post
    Christine, did you go to the online shop and add 1yrs free subscription. You should be able to download very good quality pdf files.
    Ah - maybe that was my mistake - just trying to use the online versions.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Think I'm with Christine - can you only get full page views rather than specific articles - seem to be hard to view on a laptop size screen

If you download the full page pdf and save it, you can open it in Acrobat Reader, or better still Foxit (which is also free and a LOT better than Acrobat as it allows you to highlight and annotate), and zoom the view.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland