william henry bates and catherine kelly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• william henry bates and catherine kelly

william henry bates married catherine kelly on 22 mar 1860 at st mary northgate, canterbury, kent. this comes from findmypast.
    william is full age, a farrier in what appears to be an army regiment. (i will post the relevant part of the cert) his father is joseph bates, a saddler. this is the only record of william i have. no census, birth or death.
    catherine is the daughter of john kelly, a farmer. wittnesses were john mccarthy and eliza freyen?

i cannot find them in 1861, and they had a son william henry bates in 1863 at canterbury. there is no baptism on fmp for him. the family is awol again in 1871. i next have catherine 'married' to james hainsworth wood in 1881 in gateshead. she is b.1840, longford, derbyshire (subsequent census show this to be longford ireland). james is b.1831, snaith yorks, a railway store keeper. they have william henry bates b.1863 canterbury with them. and 4 children, the oldest mary b.1872 maidstone kent. so they should there in some form in 1871.

catherine bates nee kelly married james hainsworth wood in 1882 gateshead. their children's births are registered under wood. she is present in gateshead in 1891, with son william henry down as wood. he marries in 1891 to catherine seager also spelled seagar, whom he had an illegitimate daughter ellen with in 1890. catherine seager was b.1868/9 in stanley/collierley durham. i cannot find william and catherine in 1901, but they are present in 1911 in newcastle, and should be there in 1901, as their son john richard was the first born there in 1901.

so, i need some help on locating anything on william henry bates snr asides from his marriage to catherine kelly. and i would love it if they could be located in 1861/1871. and if anyone can spot william jnr in 1901 that would be really awesome.

Comment

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1861&indiv=1

This is them in 1861

Vera

Comment

It certainly says 3rd ----- Guards. I have seen an unsourced entry on a website to suggest that the 3rd Dragoon Guards , were using Canterbury as a base depot around that time. If you look carefully I think the entry does say Dragoon (very badly written).

Dragoons were a heavy cavalry regiment,which would fit with his occupation as a farrier.

He is on the 1861 census on Ancestry (26 yrs old, born Bury, Lancashire) ...

Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I think this is the younger William in 1901 down as Wood again

Jackie

Comment

Catherine and James Wood in 1871 with some children. He's a soldier in the 3rd Dragoon Guards

Jackie

Comment

James Wood, soldier, born Snaith, in 1851 census

Jay
              Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 06-03-13, 08:59.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

thank you all so much, i knew it was a matter of someone else taking a look.

i had not thought to look under initials in the army, though i did know of that. so born in bury, lancs.

and i had looked for william jnr under wood and couldn't see anything. marvellous work.

Comment

theres a john mccarthy in the regiment with james wood in 1851. i wonder if this john is the witness on william's marriage?

Comment

even with the birth place and age for william snr, i can't see him before 1860. or find a joseph bates, saddler.

there are 3 options for his death though.
                    1) william bates 1864, canterbury
                    2) william bates 1867, maidstone
                    3) william henry bates, 1868, romney marsh.

Comment

Add to that a death for a William Bates 1866 Faversham a town between Canterbury and Maidstone

Also tried looking for Joseph Bates yesterday but no luck

Comment

i don't understand why all the difficulty lol. one of my more frustrating cases i can tell you. maybe fmp will add some other canterbury records, and i can see which death is likely.

Comment

Is it possible they were in California in 1875? There is a Henry Bates, who died June 12th, 1875 at the age of 17 years, 9 months. He was born to parents William and Catherine.

Comment

hi sre,

i don't think that man fits with the family. the william henry bates i am looking into was b.1863, and married in 1891. plus he is on all the census.

but thank you for the suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                            X