Disappeared into thin air?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappeared into thin air?

Please could you help with my researchregarding the wife of George Rampton, Blacksmith/Farrier who died on the 27thAugust 1842 in Knightsbridge. George was married to Mary Ann Weaver – I haveresearched the marriage but cannot find any documentation or reference to theirmarriage. Mary Ann’s last known whereabouts was in 1842 when she was down onher son William Henry Rampton’s death certificate in December 1842 as theinformant of his death. Which on his death certificate states he died at theRose and Crown Yard Knightsbridge. (Which is the same address as on his fathersdeath certificate a few months earlier). Although on the burial in the parishof St. Margaret, Westminster it states that William Henry Rampton was living inthe Workhouse, buried on the 14th December.
    After her son's death Mary Ann appearsto just disappear. After extensive research I cannot find her anywhere. I havehowever found something rather strange. A marriage record in 1877 at the Parish Church of St. StephenWestminster, Middlesex for a Mary Eliza Ann Rampton aged 28 spinster whosefather is down as George Rampton (deceased) Farrier. She married WilliamHutchings. (coincidentally this is the same church that Mary Ann Rampton’s sonGeorge married in just four years previously). I have traced Mary E A Rampton afterher marriage and I have no problem researching her after 1877 but I have tried to find Mary Eliza Ann Rampton before 1877 buthave drawn a blank. Who is Mary Eliza Ann Rampton?
    I have found a Mary E A Osborne on the1851 Channel Islands Census Record, within the correct birth date, whose mother is Mary Ann Osborne. Is MaryAnn Osborne the Mary Ann Rampton, who was married to George Rampton Blacksmith/Farrier, the one and the same person. Did Mary Ann Rampton have a child after the death of her husband – George Rampton, a possible illigitimate child before she married William Osborne? and gave the child

William and Mary Ann Rampton had a number of children but I cannot find any birthindex for them, so that I can obtain a birth certificate for any of the children, which would have their mothers maiden name/or previous name on. I cannot find any marriage for William Osborne.

I have tracked William and Mary Ann Osborne on the 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881 channel island census

This is quite a complicated query butwould appreciate it if I could get some help in solving this mystery.

Regards
    Sylvia Gabriella

Where were George & Mary Ann in 1841, please, if you have located them?
    Can you tell us what children they had? (Mary Ann may turn up with one of them at a later date.)

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

First of all welcome to the Forum.

The Mary Ann Eliza Rampton age 28 on marriage in 1877 would have been born 1849 so she can't be 'your' George Rampton's daughter if he died in 1842. If she was an illegitimate child of George's wife it is unlikely she would have given exactly his details on her marriage - people have been known to make stuff up in these cases but for it to match exactly with someone who is definitely not her father is a bit odd.

If you can give us the reference or link to the 1841 where you have George and Mary Ann together that would help us start any searches.

Margaret

Comment

Hi
        I've been trying all day to find them in 1841 so I looked on FMP & Bingo!
        They have been transcribed on Ancestry as POMPLER.

Moggie

Comment

good one Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
            Hi
            I've been trying all day to find them in 1841 so I looked on FMP & Bingo!
            They have been transcribed on Ancestry as POMPLER.

Moggie
            Can't make out the occupation on that - seems to be J...... but no other letters. How would that fit in with Farrier?

Also on that the place of birth for all of them bar the 1 year old George is N.K which signifies not known. I wonder if Mary gave the information and didn't know George senior's place of birth or that of the other 2 children because they are not her's? Odd that she doesn't know where she was born though!

Margaret
            Last edited by margaretmarch; 21-02-13, 15:59.

Comment

Where did you find those two baptisms Val?
              Moggie

Comment

I took the J to mean Journeyman Margaret. Perhaps he was a Journeyman Blacksmith/Farrier?
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

on FMP interesting eh ?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                    I took the J to mean Journeyman Margaret. Perhaps he was a Journeyman Blacksmith/Farrier?
                    Hi
                    I thought the same thing Chrissie. A lot of the men have J for occupation some with numbers i.e 250 & 300 although I have no idea what these numbers mean.
                    Moggie

Comment

Mary Ann was living with her husband George in London Road, Staines, Middlesex. In 1842 they were at the Rose and Crown Yard, Knightsbridge. Mary and George had four children - two children died in 1842 the same year as Mary's husband George. One son died in 1853 and one son George Rampton was the great grandfather of my husband.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                        I would expect to see the actually occupatio as well as journeyman as on it's own that word is not really helpful to anyone! I think the numbers in other cases are the code numbers for occupations used by the enumerators in their summaries and returns up the line.
                        Margaret

Comment

Hi Sylvia
                          Could you give us all the details from the marriage certs that you mentioned. Are there any addresses? What are the names of the witnesses?
                          Were John & George enumerated in the Tower of London in 1851?
                          Moggie

Comment

Hi All,

I realise that this is quite an old post, but I’ve also hit the same stumbling block in that Mary Eliza Ann Rampton appears to be born after the death of her father, her Husband William Hutchings doesn’t appear to exist before joining the Grenadier Guards in 1857 and her mother Mary Weaver just disappears.
                            I’ve had some great help from a lady call Teresa who discovered this post.
                            I was wondering if anybody has made any progress in the years since this post was active?
                            Between Teresa and myself we have made some progress/have some theories so I want to see if anybody else has come to these conclusions.
                            I’ll start by explaining my relationship to them, William Hutchings and Mary Eliza Ann Rampton are my 3x Great Grandparents.
                            Their Son William Christopher Benjamin Hutchings is my 2x Great Grandfather,
                            His Son Arthur Thomas Hutchings is my Great Grandfather,
                            His Son Albert Robin Hutchings is my Grandfather,
                            His Son Garry Robin Hutchings is my Father,
                            I am Scott Robin Hutchings.
                            Here is what I have found so far starting with William Hutchings and Mary Eliza Ann Hutchings.

William Hutchings was born in 1837/8 in Guernsey, I am unable to locate any record of birth but I have his military records from when he was in the Grenadier Guards as confirmed on his marriage certificate. He was wed to Mary and they appear together on Census records from 1871 until his death.
                            I have been unable to determine anything about his father William Hutchings who is listed on his marriage certificate.
                            Mary Eliza Ann Rampton is a bit of a mystery as before the marriage there is not record of her to be found with the Rampton surname. She appears in the 1881 census with William and her daughter Rose in Battersea as Hutchings but nothing with the Rampton name before that.
                            We have a theory though, it may seem like a large number or coincidences but the more we dig the more we find.

George Rampton can’t be her father as she was born after he died, but maybe Mary Ann Weaver was still her mother.
                            Coincidence 1:
                            We firstly hunted for another Mary Eliza Ann that was born in 1847 as surely, she couldn’t have made up everything about herself on the wedding certificate.
                            We found a birth/baptism record in Chelsea from 1847 of a Mary Eliza Ann Sharratt who’s mother is Mary Ann Weaver and father is Samuel Sharratt.

We found Census records of Samuel, Mary Ann and Mary Eliza Ann in Chelsea in 1851, 1861 and 1871 where the ages seemed to add up.

Maybe Mary Ann Weaver had met Samuel Sharratt after the passing of George Rampton and gave birth to Mary Eliza Ann?

Coincidence 2:
                            After not finding any other links between the 2 I thought I’d try a different approach and see if I could track down the witnesses on William and Mary Eliza Anns marriage record.
                            These were George and Emily Daykin, after a very brief search I found a marriage record for them in Kensington in 1876 where Emily’s maiden name was listed as Sharratt.

So could Emily and Mary Eliza Ann be related?

Coincidence 3:
                            I began building out a tree for George & Emily Daykin starting from the marriage record.
                            Although there are no fathers listed it did say that George was a soldier.
                            I discovered that George Daykin was a soldier in the Grenadier Guards, as was William Hutchings.
                            So it’s possible that they both met the Sharratt’s while posted at the London barracks.
                            This makes me think that I have the right George & Emily Daykin.

Coincidence 4:
                            Before my Granddad Albert Robin passed away I got him to do the Ancestry DNA test.
                            When searching for surnames in DNA matches trees I get quite a few distant matches for Sharratt, Weaver and Rampton.

With this in mind if the Mary Ann Weaver is correct the Census shows she was born in Montgomeryshire, Wales,
                            I have found a birth/baptism record to match to show she was born in 1808 for Christopher and Elizabeth Weaver.
                            How she came to meet George Rampton in Hampshire before ending up in London is beyond me.

I also can’t explain why Mary Eliza Ann would have taken the Rampton name and also named George Rampton as her father instead of Samuel if this is indeed her.

I found that there were also some Sharratt’s listed in the army barracks of the Coldstream Guards in London who were linked with the Grenadier Guards so that is where I am looking at the moment to see if there is any relation.
                            I apologise if this comes across as a bit of a rant, but this has been driving me crazy for a while now.
                            I have a tree on Ancestry that you are welcome to look at to help confirm facts or tell me where I’ve gone wrong as any pointers of help would be greatly appreciated!
                            Equally if anybody has made progress since this thread went quiet, please message me and let me know what you have found.
                            Thanks,
                            Scott
                            Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 25-10-19, 09:53. Reason: Name replaced as now know deceased

Comment

Mary Eliza Ann Rampton/Sharratt - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...36281143/facts
                              Mary Ann Weaver - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...38771623/facts

Comment

Welcome to the forum Scott, I have removed your father's name as we don't name living people on this forum. I hope some of our members will be able to look into this for you.

Comment

Hi Jill,
                                  Thanks for the welcome.
                                  Unfortunately my Father Garry died in 2016, I did check the rules beforehand and made sure not to name anybody living.
                                  I'm hoping somebody can solve this mystery.

Comment

Hi Scott and welcome to FTF
                                    I have now replaced your father's name.
                                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks Chrissie

Comment

I am no expert happy to have a look later, but have read your post and finding it a bit overwhelming are you saying you want to fill in record gaps on both the people that you have linked to so that you can tie it all up?

Have you searched on any other subscription site than Ancestry?
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Working...
                                        X