Disappeared into thin air?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Carolyn,

It is alot to read & process, I partly hoped somebody that has researched it or the original posted would see it and something would twig.

The main thing I am after is to locate Mary Eliza Ann Rampton (1847) with her father George Rampton and/or mother Mary Weaver before her marriage in 1877
    The weird thing is the George Rampton I found that married Mary Weaver died in 1842.

If anybody can find a record of William Hutchings born 1837-39 in Guernsey before the 1871 Census that would be a bonus.

Thanks,
    Scott

Comment

I think Scott wants to know who was Mary Eliza Ann Rampton/Sharratt or even as Sylvia in post #1 thought - Mary Eliza Ann Osborne. There are 3 possible names muted. Needs long hard reflection of the various theories I think - there is a lot to take in.

Edit: Sorry crossed posted there Scott.

Re Hutchinson and Channel Islands. It's interesting that Sylvia found the Osborne's there.
      Last edited by Katarzyna; 25-10-19, 14:47.
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I think this is 1861 census?

Samuel Sherrard 47
        Mary S Sherrard 48
        Mary Ann Sherrard 14
        Benjamin Sherrard 10
        Emma Sherrard 6

Emma details make sense
        SHARRATT, EMMA WEAVER
        GRO Reference: 1854 D Quarter in KENSINGTON PODDINGTON AND FULHAM Volume 01A Page 80

I don't think I can see why you think they changed name to Rampton

You mention that you have 1861 census but can't see it on your Ancestry tree
        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 25-10-19, 14:49.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Because of this Carolyn: From Post #1
          A marriage record in 1877 at the Parish Church of St. Stephen Westminster, Middlesex for a Mary Eliza Ann Rampton - Not Sharratt - aged 28 spinster whose father is down as George Rampton (deceased) Farrier. She married William Hutchings.
          Last edited by Katarzyna; 25-10-19, 15:03. Reason: additional info
          Kat

Comment

This is the Wedding certificate.
            Also all of the birth certificates of her children say Mary Eliza Ann Hutchings - Formally Rampton

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
              I think this is 1861 census?

Samuel Sherrard 47
              Mary S Sherrard 48
              Mary Ann Sherrard 14
              Benjamin Sherrard 10
              Emma Sherrard 6

Emma details make sense
              SHARRATT, EMMA WEAVER
              GRO Reference: 1854 D Quarter in KENSINGTON PODDINGTON AND FULHAM Volume 01A Page 80

I don't think I can see why you think they changed name to Rampton

You mention that you have 1861 census but can't see it on your Ancestry tree

I had it attached in another tree I was building out, I have now attached it.
              Thanks for pointing that out.

Comment

I am connected to the Ramptons also - one of my very distant cousins married William Rampton b 1795 who was brother to George. His son, Henry, was one of the first Mormons and went out to Utah in the early 1850's. He wrote a diary of his life, which is extremely interesting and in it he mentions his Uncle George who died in Knightsbridge in 1842.

https://henryramptonfamily.org/wp-co...No.-MS6080.pdf

I have also found the baptism for Sarah Rampton, daughter of George and Mariane in Herriard in Hampshire on 6 Aug 1837, but cannot find any marriage between George and Mary Ann on the HGS Marriage discs. If what you suggest on your post is correct, then Sarah and Mary Eliza Ann were half-sisters which would explain the Ramptons in the DNA matches. (By the way there were plenty of offspring from Henry in Utah as he had 4 wives, some at the same time, and 17 children)
                Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

I think I have it - there is nothing to confirm that Mary Eliza Ann Sharratt morphed into Rampton, just that it 'fits'.

As she disappears at the same time as Rampton turns up, with same birth year and place?

...sorry if I still have missed the point and can hear you all inwardly sighing
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

I think you are right Carolyn "just that it fits". It needs looking at from the marriage Hutchings/ Rampton and ignoring the rest for the time being. Forget the theories and work backwards again.
                    Last edited by Katarzyna; 25-10-19, 15:38.
                    Kat

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                      I think I have it - there is nothing to confirm that Mary Eliza Ann Sharratt morphed into Rampton, just that it 'fits'.

As she disappears at the same time as Rampton turns up, with same birth year and place?

...sorry if I still have missed the point and can hear you all inwardly sighing
                      Hi Carolyn,

Correct, it does just kind of fit.
                      It was just the more I look into it, the more the coincidences are stacking up!

If you can take a look with a fresh pair of eyes that'd be great.

Even if it puts me back to square one.

Regards,
                      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                        I am connected to the Ramptons also - one of my very distant cousins married William Rampton b 1795 who was brother to George. His son, Henry, was one of the first Mormons and went out to Utah in the early 1850's. He wrote a diary of his life, which is extremely interesting and in it he mentions his Uncle George who died in Knightsbridge in 1842.

I have also found the baptism for Sarah Rampton, daughter of George and Mariane in Herriard in Hampshire on 6 Aug 1837, but cannot find any marriage between George and Mary Ann on the HGS Marriage discs. If what you suggest on your post is correct, then Sarah and Mary Eliza Ann were half-sisters which would explain the Ramptons in the DNA matches. (By the way there were plenty of offspring from Henry in Utah as he had 4 wives, some at the same time, and 17 children)
                        Hi Linda,
                        Thanks for replying, I'll take a look at the Diary.

I've found a few posts on different forums that are about the mysterious Mary Eliza Ann Rampton or the disapearance of her mother after Georges death, all without answers.

It's all a bit of a mess and mystery as to where Mary Eliza Ann Rampton came from but hopefully with some help and luck I can confirm my theory or work out where she came from.

Regards,
                        Scott

Comment

The Military Pension Record you have for William Hutchings has birth Crewkerne, Somerset not Guernsey as in the Censuses. Are you sure these are his records? The 1871 has him in the Army and born Guernsey. Or was Somerset where his pension was paid to?
                          Last edited by Katarzyna; 25-10-19, 16:00.
                          Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                            The Military Pension Record you have for William Hutchings has birth Crewkerne, Somerset not Guernsey as in the Censuses. Are you sure these are his records? The 1871 has him in the Army and born Guernsey.
                            Without finding a birth record I can't be entirely sure but with William returning to Crewkerne, Somerset after getting married and there only being one William Hutchings in the Grenadier Guards with the correct age I am pretty convinced that it is him.

I looked into the Guernsey link but there is no birth or baptism recorded for him, I wonder if his father William was also in the Military and was stationed at Guernsey for Williams birth before returning to Crewkerne/Somerset.

Comment

Yes, a possibility. What an elusive family you have :D
                              Kat

Comment

Hutchings seems a pretty popular surname in Crewkerne for a tiny place, and a lot of Williams too. (my husbands father was the policeman there in the 50s!)

There is a William son of William and Roseanna, as far as I can see all other Williams were not son of William. I am assuming you have seen them?

Iy looks as though you have census records for Mary Ann Weaver but neither marriage or baptism?
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

The birth/baptism for Mary Ann Weaver are under the gallery, not sources.
                                  I can't find the wedding.

And Thank You! I don't know why I have never found that William before.
                                  In the 1841 Census William Jr is listed as being born in Guernsey (it's been transcribed as Gurwey)

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyHutch View Post
                                    The birth/baptism for Mary Ann Weaver are under the gallery, not sources.
                                    I can't find the wedding.

And Thank You! I don't know why I have never found that William before.
                                    In the 1841 Census William Jr is listed as being born in Guernsey (it's been transcribed as Gurwey)
                                    https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...62&usePUB=true
                                    I had found that census, but not spotted the Guernsey, 1841 census doesn't ask for place of birth so hadn't looked! The family are on subsequent census. So his father may have been military, if he was born there. And looks as though maybe just born and then moved back.

NB you can add a fact in ancestry and then link to your gallery item via citation.

You really just want something to confirm that the Weaver/Rampton is correct now? Have you traced her siblings?
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

William
                                      Last name Hutchings
                                      Sex Male
                                      Marriage year 1828
                                      Marriage date 28-May-1828
                                      Parish Crewkerne
                                      Spouse's first name(s) Rosanna
                                      Spouse's last name Garrett
                                      County Somerset
                                      Country England
                                      Record type Records
                                      Record set Somerset Marriage Index
                                      By licence or by banns Banns
                                      First witness Thomas Hutchings
                                      Second witness Mary Hutchings
                                      Third witness Joseph Palmer

Somerset Archives
                                      Last edited by Katarzyna; 26-10-19, 09:08.
                                      Kat

Comment

Thanks Carolyn, I'll set them as facts.

It's just the Mary Eliza Ann Rampton mystery now, where did she come from, is she Mary Eliza Ann Sharratt, and what happened to Mary Ann Weaver if she didn't marry Samuel Sharratt as I expect.

Thanks Kat, I've got plenty to work with now.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyHutch View Post

... and what happened to Mary Ann Weaver if she didn't marry Samuel Sharratt as I expect.
                                          You have the census and death etc it is just the marriage, you would like?

I would definitely try and trace Benjamin and Emma, there maybe some clues.

There is a Benjamin that deserted the army (Scotland) b Chelsea, do you have those records?
                                          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 26-10-19, 11:30.
                                          Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                          X