• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are more discharge records here

but not imparting any useful info
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
      I wondered if 'Patrick' was a name he adopted to suit the Catholic church?

I found another record I thought might (just might) be connected to George & Mary Ann. If George Sr was originally in the army, which is what the 1842 newspaper report said, then Irishgenealogy has a record of the burial of Geo RAMPTON of Beggars Bush Barracks, Dublin on 26 April 1839, aged 3. Could this be a child of George & Mary Ann, buried just before their next son was born, who they also named George? Their older son John was said to have been born in Dublin c1833.

Again, Im not sure if these links work OK, but its easy enough to find the original:

A long shot, but could George & Mary Ann have married in Ireland, and the records be lost?
      I would agree with the Patrick/Benjamin substitution being a "church" thing - the obligatory addition/inclusion of a saint's name for either baptism, confirmation or marriage is still a convention observed by families I know who are practising RCs.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
        here is a snippet for 1832, in Juy 2nd Battalion in Dublin until the following summer
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]20327[/ATTACH]

not sure if we know which battalion he was in.
        The 1842 newspaper says 1st Battalion, so according to the book he was only in Dublin from July 1836 until August 1837... assuming the information in the 1842 report is correct, which it may not be.

Comment

That 'Blacksmiths' entry seems a little fanciful in saying he owned 7 Rose and Crown Yard - he lived there in a shared property, but he didn't own it. The newspaper reports say his wife was left destitute after his death.

This may just be a coincidence, but I note that Samuel Sharrett's name is sometimes written as Sherrard, and in 1841 at Rose and Crown Yard:
          Mary Sherrard 20 not born in County
          Ann Sherrard 25 born in County

The next entry is Ann Dubery, 65, Stable Keeper

Comment

7 Rose and Crown Yard
            Sorry, fat fingers, should say No. 8

Comment

Good afternoon everyone. I'm Teresa who has been helping Scott with his family tree. It seems that you all find it as interesting as I do and I am fascinated by the information you are unearthing. It helps enormously to have others looking at it with fresh eyes. I am going to enjoy working my way through all your messages and entering the info into my working tree. As I haven't read the whole thread yet I I don't know if Scott has mentioned that he has DNA connections with both Rampton and Sharratt which might have some bearing on your research. I'm sure we'll solve the mystery of Mary Eliza Ann Rampton!!

Comment

The 1842 newspaper says 1st Battalion, so according to the book he was only in Dublin from July 1836 until August 1837... assuming the information in the 1842 report is correct, which it may not be.
                That is a shame! George junior is in 2nd
                Name: George Rampton
                Discharge Age: 43
                Birth Date: abt 1839
                Discharge Year: 1882
                Regiment: 2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards
                Regimental Number: 3822
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Yes, but considering the newspaper reported the surname as Kampton and referred to Mary Ann as Sarah (as well as the daughter & the neighbour, Sarah Anderson), I wouldn't set too much store on its accuracy!

Comment

Originally posted by TMac View Post
                    Good afternoon everyone. I'm Teresa who has been helping Scott with his family tree. It seems that you all find it as interesting as I do and I am fascinated by the information you are unearthing. It helps enormously to have others looking at it with fresh eyes. I am going to enjoy working my way through all your messages and entering the info into my working tree. As I haven't read the whole thread yet I I don't know if Scott has mentioned that he has DNA connections with both Rampton and Sharratt which might have some bearing on your research. I'm sure we'll solve the mystery of Mary Eliza Ann Rampton!!
                    Hi Teresa

Yes, it is quite fascinating, but reading back through this thread, it isn't clear whether the birth certificate of Mary Eliza Ann Sharratt was ever obtained (although the thread is so long now, I may have missed it). I know the baptism is online, but the birth certificate *should* give details of all of her mothers previous surnames, so potentially the same applies to the birth certificates for two other Sharratt children.

Comment

Hi Teresa

Yes, it is quite fascinating, but reading back through this thread, it isn't clear whether the birth certificate of Mary Eliza Ann Sharratt was ever obtained (although the thread is so long now, I may have missed it). I know the baptism is online, but the birth certificate *should* give details of all of her mothers previous surnames, so potentially the same applies to the birth certificates for two other Sharratt children.
                      I've got a few certificates on order for this now, I've got:
                      Mary Eliza Ann Sharratt - Birth Certificate
                      George Rampton - Death Certificate
                      John Rampton - Death Certificate
                      That should all be here on Friday.

also
                      William Hutchings 1836 - Overseas birth certificate (GRO search requested)

Comment

Hi Teresa

I have just been re reading the thread as getting lost, and wondering if there was any certificates. I see the very first poster has the death certs for William and George Rampton.

Yes, but considering the newspaper reported the surname as Kampton and referred to Mary Ann as Sarah (as well as the daughter & the neighbour, Sarah Anderson), I wouldn't set too much store on its accuracy!
                        True, so that timeline could fit in with the rest. Would a soldier take his 'girl' with him though? It is unlikely Mary Ann from Monmouthshire would meet and marry in Dublin?
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

Hey all,
                          I had the certificates through today.
                          George Rampton - It lists him as Smith and Farrier which may explain the discrepancies in the records we have found.
                          John Rampton - Nothing of use other than that he was in the Coldstream Guards.
                          Mary Eliza Ann Sharratt - Her mother's name was Mary Ann Sharratt, formerly Weaver. Her father Samuel Weaver was a private in the 2nd battalion of the Coldstream Guards (The same as George Jnr and John Rampton)

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyHutch View Post
                            Hey all,
                            I had the certificates through today.
                            George Rampton - It lists him as Smith and Farrier which may explain the discrepancies in the records we have found.
                            John Rampton - Nothing of use other than that he was in the Coldstream Guards.
                            Mary Eliza Ann Sharratt - Her mother's name was Mary Ann Sharratt, formerly Weaver. Her father Samuel Weaver was a private in the 2nd battalion of the Coldstream Guards (The same as George Jnr and John Rampton)

Should say her father Samuel Sharratt was in the 2nd battalion, Coldstream Guards.

Comment

Oh that's such a shame, I was really hoping that at least one of those would provide a conclusive link. For what it's worth, I'm pretty much convinced that Eliza Sharratt & Eliza Rampton are the same person (same for Mary Ann Weaver, Rampton & Sharratt).

Not sure if youve seen this record already (I think you only have the discharge) - its Emily Dakin's admission to the workhouse. Says she was admitted 6 Nov 1891 "Destitute from Lodging House at Maidstone" although under the column 'Parish from which admitted' it says St George :/

Comment

that is a shame that it did not fill any gaps.

I see any army records for Samuel Sharratt or George Rampton on FMP. I guess they may have know each other.

I think the districts they lived in had many 'retired' army as quite close by to the barracks.
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

Oh that's such a shame, I was really hoping that at least one of those would provide a conclusive link. For what it's worth, I'm pretty much convinced that Eliza Sharratt & Eliza Rampton are the same person (same for Mary Ann Weaver, Rampton & Sharratt).

Not sure if youve seen this record already (I think you only have the discharge) - its Emily Dakin's admission to the workhouse. Says she was admitted 6 Nov 1891 "Destitute from Lodging House at Maidstone" although under the column 'Parish from which admitted' it says St George :/

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...6_190785-00417
                                  Was writing my post at same time

I agree they seem to be the same person and post 64 seems to tie them up. Just be nice to have something else. One day DNA may confirm it?
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                    post 64 seems to tie them up.
                                    Ah yes, I'd forgotten that. It would just be too much of a coincidence for Emma & Emily not to be the same person

Comment

Mary Eliza Ann was living in Battersea in 1881 before she went to Somerset and Emma/Emily was living in Battersea in 1891, can't find Emily in 1881 at the moment.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

thought it was worth looking for the rest of Emma/Emily but failed!

this is an odd one:
                                        DAYKIN, SAMUEL ELIJAH SHARRATT
                                        GRO Reference: 1878 S Quarter in SHARDLOW Volume 07B Page 464

But no record of Charles as listed as age 4 on the workhouse records

Is it maybe something wrong in the transcription on GRO?
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

• Samuel Elijah Daykin married in 1903 - father George Daykin. Just to add more confusion!

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...SAAEgKBn_D_BwE
                                          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Working...
                                          X