Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something fishy? (or how do I find a divorce)

Blog Entries
    now this is something quite odd.......

Carlyle A Quinn marries again!.. in 1920!.. to Irma L FLYNN.. 24th Dec 1920 King, Seattle, Washington..

what do you think?? same signature?

24 Dec 1920

08 June 1923
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

Carlyle is a distant connection so I'm not going to pursue this too seriously, but he has certainly got my curiosity up. (The Quinn's married into the Shearer family for those who know of my frustration with that family.)

Helen Kileman is Helen Koleman; it's a transcription error. Yes, I can see the original doc. I'd found the marriage to Irma Flynn too. It certainly seems to be the same fellow who married Helen Koleman as the signatures are the same guy. I've no signature to compare to the marriage to Muriel.

I can't find much on Irma, but did find one Ancestry tree that suggested she died three years after they married, or the same year he married Helen.

I'm not familiar with the seven-year rule. What is it?

I don't know what to think about the son, Donald. My first thought was that he is Davis' son, and hence the divorce/separation from Carlyle, but I have no idea. And I wonder why Helen divorced him?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post

I'm not familiar with the seven-year rule. What is it?
    this might help:

Unintentional abandonment is not desertion. For example, if a man is missing in action while serving in the Armed Services, his wife may not obtain a divorce on desertion grounds since her spouse did not intend to leave his family and flee the marital relationship. The Common Law allows an individual to presume that a spouse is dead if the spouse is unexplainably absent for a seven-year period. If the spouse returns at any time, the marriage remains intact under common law.
    http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/desertion

not sure if it still applies.. but this is what I was talking about.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

Thanks DS. I hadn't heard of that.

I spent yesterday afternoon searching for Carlyle. This guy seriously disappeared after the marriage to Helen until his death. I can find no sign of him in either country. I would have thought he'd have shown up in the '30 or '40 census, or military, but no. Odd grouping, but it looks like I may not figure out what was going on.

By the way, I compared the two American marriage signatures to Carlyle's signature when joining the Canadian expeditionary forces and it looks to be the same guy.
    Last edited by Prairie Chicken; 19-02-13 at 12:34.

Did you spot the findagrave:
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...GRid=85492641&

Just tried manually searching the LA Times on ancestry - but it's worse than the Chicago Trib: the obits don't seem to be in chronological order. Maybe post on ancestry's la boards and see if someone can find his obit from the Times or another local paper? Maybe the San Diego research offer has library access to LA papers?

Yes, thanks, I did find the findagrave, and had requested a photo of the headstone in case it is helpful. I'd missed the plot reference though
    Plot: Col. of the Patriots, F.M., Lot 0, Space 34948
    . I wonder what the reference to the Patriots is? I'll keep at it.

I just got a photo of Carlyle's headstone; many thanks to the volunteers at Find A Grave. It includes Mary Abernethy 1971. So Carlyle had another lady in his life ....

Did you see this website that KyleJustin supplied another thread? It's great!
    http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w/washington.htm
    ------------------------------------------------------
    My Families
    London-area Coverly Family Finder DNA Project