John David Stent 1913-1981

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John David Stent 1913-1981

A friend has found a box of papers and letters relating to the war service of John David Stent

DOB 27/05/13, Woolwich
    RAF no 12651133
    Reported for duty 06/09/40 at RAF Upwood
    Rank T/Sgt
    trade classification: Nav

From freebmd He died in Chatham, Kent, England in Jun 1981
    http://buswalks.co.uk

No John David Stent marrying; there are many John Stents who marry.

There is a John D Stent who married Ellis in Jun 1936, Dartford.

No family trees in ancestry with him. Can someone check GR?

Nothing on familysearch, and only ftf () on google
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 08-12-12, 04:57.

Comment

There are no trees on GR with this name and birth.

Ian

Comment

mothers maiden name is Davies, perhaps his army papers have a family members name on them or possible addresses to go on

Edna

Comment

He appears in the London Gazette a couple of times:

Gazette Issue 36108 published on the 23 July 1943. Page 8 of 10
          re RAFVR General Duties Branch (if I've followed back the pages correctly)
          to be Pilot Officer : No. 145394 as of 8 June 1943 (This must be his "seniority" date)

Gazette Issue 36280 published on the 7 December 1943. Page 7 of 8
          Pilot Officers to be Flying Officers. - just with his initials, not full name.

Gazette Issue 36550 published on the 2 June 1944. Page 2 of 4
          ref to F/Off JDS being in 166 Squadron

Gazette Issue 41439 published on the 8 July 1958. Page 6 of 6
          relinquishing commissions... RAFVR - Flight Lieutenants retaining their rank.
          J D STENT, D.F.C. (145394) 27 May 1958

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's an engagement announcement for a daughter of Mr & Mrs J D STENT of Gillingham, Kent:
            "Marriages." Times [London, England] 7 Apr. 1972: 16. The Times Digital Archive.

There are appearances of J D STENT at funerals in/near Midhurst, in Sussex, with the title "Mr" prior to July 1943.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Would there be an obit in a paper? Does anyone live in the Chatham area - would the RO have any references to the death/burial?

Comment

IF Christine has the correct J D Stent in #5 (the service number is not the same as that given in #1), his D.F.C. award is mentioned in the Nottingham Evening Post of 6 June 1944:
                "... and Flg.-Off. J. D. Stent, of Ulceby, Lincs."

scuda
                Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Originally posted by scuda View Post
                  IF Christine has the correct J D Stent in #5 (the service number is not the same as that given in #1), his D.F.C. award is mentioned in the Nottingham Evening Post of 6 June 1944:
                  "... and Flg.-Off. J. D. Stent, of Ulceby, Lincs."

scuda
                  Thank you for alerting me to that possibility. People don't usually have more than one service number in the RAF. In the army, the service number is likely to change if people change regiment - as well as the change when they changed all the numbers from 'short' to 'long', but I've seen nothing comparable to that with the RAF.

Incidentally - the ref to Ulceby could well have had more to do with where he was stationed ta the time than where he came from originally. There's currently an airport at "Ulceby, Kirmington, South Humberside DN39 6YH". It's a fair bet that it used to be an RAF station.

Christine
                  Last edited by Christine in Herts; 20-12-12, 13:46.

Comment

Coincidentally a few minutes ago I was looking through Kelly's 1895 Caversham for a name - and happened to see there was a Mrs Stent living on Piggott Road, Caversham - just that having seen the name here, it may be a connection.
                    Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

Hello I have just joined this forum as I was doing a bit of family tree research and your post came up. John d stent was my maternal grandfather!! Could you please give me any more information about the box that was found, can't wait to hear from you.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Comment

The original poster does seem to be active on the site. To make sure that this moves forward, if possible, I've sent a PM, myself, but - for future purposes, it may be worth sending a personal message yourself... If you click on the name of the person you want to contact, you get a drop-down menu; the second icon on the list is an envelope, labelled Private Message; it enables you to send an internal "email".

Christine

Comment

Hi Tracy

as Christine says I'm not a frequent user of this site.

I don't know if my friends still have the information, they are currently on holiday in Portugal. They are expected back at the end of the month so I will ask them then.

Regards Bob
                          http://buswalks.co.uk

Comment

Hi Tracy, I am doing some research into your Grandfathers Squadron, no. 166 based at Kirmington in Lincolnshire. He flew as a Navigator in Lancasters. I would love to hear from you. K

Comment

Originally posted by kirmington View Post
                              Hi Tracy, I am doing some research into your Grandfathers Squadron, no. 166 based at Kirmington in Lincolnshire. He flew as a Navigator in Lancasters. I would love to hear from you. K
                              It might be worth sending Tracy a private message. Click on her username to the left of her post and you will see the message option. Providing her email details are still current, she will receive an email notification that the message has been sent.
                              Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, I tried that but all silent I am afraid! K

Comment

Hi my names charlie I'm John's Great Grandson! Can someone private message me I'd love to get his things back!

Comment

Hi Charlie and welcome to FTF
                                    I'm afraid that bobdonk hasn't been on the site for some time. I suggest that you send him a Private message and if his e-mail address is still current he should get your message. If you click on his name you get a drop-down menu, the second icon on the list is an envelope, labelled Private Message, then click on that and a box for your message will come up.
                                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

bobdonk's website link (the buswalks one) is still functioning. There may be a mechanism for contacting him that way, if an FTF PM doesn't work?
                                      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 05-12-17, 12:15.

Comment

Hi Guys. He hasn't replied to me on PM so I'm going to try and get his email somehow and hope he sees that, I also can't find a way to message him on buswalks but I really appreciate the help! I'm really excited to find out if he still hasn't my grandfathers belongings

Comment

Working...
                                        X