Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone find documentary evidence of Dugald's parents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone find documentary evidence of Dugald's parents?

I have looked everywhere online, or at least it feels that way. Maybe another set of eyes will spot what I'm looking for. Or maybe it just isn't online & I need to move on.

Dugald or Douglas Blackstock Shearer was born abt 1832 in, I believe, Ontario, Canada. I have verified that he was my 2x ggrandfather. Plenty of census info indicates he was the son of Archibald Shearer (b 1797 Lanarkshire, Scotland) and Agnes Blackstock (born abt 1804 Scotland).

Dugald or Douglas' partner was Janet or Jenette Campbell (b abt 1836 in Canada). I have found a number of their seven children's birth records showing both their names, but have never found evidence of their marriage.

What I'd really like to find is documentary evidence confirming that Archibald b 1797 & Agnes Blackstock were truly Dugald's parents. Either a Cdn marriage record or birth cert should show the parents names, but I can't find either.

What makes this difficult is that Archibald b 1797, his father Archibald (b 1775 Scotland I believe) and about five siblings all immigrated to Ontario, Canada in, we think, 1828, and they all seem to have followed the same naming conventions. That is, there are a whole lot of Archibalds, Andrews, Agness, Janets, Johns, Gavins, Matthews, etc! It's enough to drive a genealogist to another cup of tea!

This family's history is well documented on Ancestry & online. This is proving to be less than a blessing as I try to verify each step back ... Any suggestions would be welcomed.

I suppose you have just looked for Blackstock Shearer b. 1832, [he may have been registered without a christian name?] or even registered under a different name and later adopted Douglas/Dugald
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Yes Julie, I think I've searched Dugald (and Janet) every which way, but all ideas are welcome. His kids & siblings show up, but Dugald & Janet rarely do. I just have the feeling he's hiding in plain view.

Comment

Hi, PC -
        I found an ancestor's marriage in 1856 in Collingwood in a very strange database of newspaper indexes available at the library. I might be there at the end of this week (life has been chaotic lately), and I can check to see if there are any entries for them (it's more than just marriages). Have you found DBS' death certificate? I have some Ontario death records that recorded parents' names, and others that do not.

DBS seems to be buried in thornbury-clarksburg union? - from OCFA. It's in Collingwood. What year did he die?

I've been told, but haven't had much success with, that early Ontario research involves going thru land/property records, and sometimes wills are even included in the records. They can be borrowed thru familysearch. If you have any luck - let me know! Familysearch also has some church records.

sarah
        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 29-11-12, 03:38.

Comment

I haven't been able to find any death details either. I've found Dugald & Janet in the 1861 & '71 census, and as parents on my ggrandmother's wedding cert, and various birth & wedding certs of gg's siblings ... but neither Janet nor Dugald were born, married or died. Or so it seems.

It's possible or even likely they are in the Thornbury-Clarksburg Union Cemetery but I haven't found them on OCFA. I can't recall if I've gone looking for them there but I'll have another look. There are two large genealogical books which may help, The Canadian Genealogical Index and one on Scottish immigrants, and I'm hoping to get over to the library soon to get those books brought in.

Comment

There is a D B Shearer in OCFA in the Thornbury-clarksburg union, Collingwood. I had trouble pulling it up, but when I searched Dugald Shearer, one of the graves showed up as d/o dugald. then I searched that cemetery for all shearer's and D B showed up.

I hope to be at the library tomorrow, I'll look in the strange database as well
            sarah
            Last edited by PhotoFamily; 29-11-12, 14:27.

Comment

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated Sarah.

I just found some info online that Dugald "died 1872 in Ravenna, Collingwood Twp or Euphrasia Twp., Grey County, Ontario." but that is from another tree & I have no idea how reliable it may be. I'll see if it leads me anywhere.

Comment

The burials of Dugald and Jeanette and at least one of the children, and Archibald and Agnes, are on OCFA:

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 30-11-12, 01:18.

Comment

I don't know how you managed that Mary! I searched OCFA again this morning after Sarah mentioned D B Shearer, and I went thru all of the Shearers in Ontario. No joy. I found D B, but I sure didn't find Dugald & Jeanette with Andrew. Another case of operator malfunction I suppose. :(

Now I know where they are; I just need to find out what the inscriptions say.

Comment

If you put Shearer as the surname and Collingwood as the Township, with no surname. you'll find DB, Jeanett and Andrew (son of Dugald and Jeanette).
                    Then if you put Shearer as the surname and Otonabee as the Township you'll find Archibald and Agnes.

Comment

In case you hadn't found it, this page tells you who to contact for information:

Comment

PM sent, but I still haven't found the link to parents.

The D B Shearer in the Thornbury-Clarksburg Union Cemetery is a child, so I think Dugald is still missing. This does appear to be the correct Jeannette, however: she died 8 Mar 1914, aged 77. Her DC could be useful.

Found her DC indexed on Familysearch:
                        Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

At least you know her parents (if we have the right Jeannette)
                        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 30-11-12, 19:34.

Comment

PC - hope you stay online for a little while. I'm putting another PM together about Otonabee - are they your people in the Pine Grove cemetery?

Comment

Yes, my Shearers are in the Pine Grove Cemetery, and Thornbury Clarksburg too. The DC certainly looks like my Janet/Jennette. I think I'll need to find additional info to confirm though. Thanks for the PMs Sarah. I'll work on that info.

And Mary, yes, I have found that page. Tx. I'll get in touch.

Edited to add: I just searched Ancestry using that exact date & found the DC--for Garnett Sharer. The image indicates this definitely seems to be the right lady. Thanks!
                            Last edited by Prairie Chicken; 01-12-12, 00:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
                              Edited to add: I just searched Ancestry using that exact date & found the DC--for Garnett Sharer. The image indicates this definitely seems to be the right lady. Thanks!
                              Volunteer indexers win again!

Comment

Working...
                              X