No announcement yet.

Research in Northern Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Elwyn,im trying to find out about the Healy family,i dont have alot to go on,my nan was Mary Josephine Healy i have other Healy names not sure if they are her siblings,Mary A Healy,Margaret Healy,John J Healy,Marianna Healy,Esther G Healy,Kathleen Healy i think all of these were born in Ireland,i dont know which of these are my nans mother and there are no signs of her father,they moved to Birmingham UK and are registered at a property in 1945.Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated im at a dead end.

Comment

Searching the Irish civil indexes for Mary Josephine Healy brings up over 18,000 possible matches. It’s a very common name and so you need to try and narrow the field a bit.

You need to try and find some event in England that will help identify her or her family. Do you know of a birth, marriage or death that you can order to get an age and other personal particulars?

Are there any wills, obituaries or gravestones with family information? Were any of this family in England in 1911, and you could look for them in the census?
      Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Hi Elwyn thankyou for getting back to me,my nan Mary Josephine Healy was born 1926 and past away 29th September 1992 aged 79yrs she is buried with her husband at the woodlands cemetary Birmingham West Midlands,her husbands name is Alexander George Steward they married in Birmingham june 1943.Iknow they lived at 4 Milverton terrace Johnstone Street Birmingham with Margaret Steward,Mary A Healy and in 1947 they are with Margaret Healy,John J Healy and Marianna Healy,Marianna was from Italy and John J married her over there in 1947 her maiden name was Zampiro.in 1955 my nan Mary J Healy and my grandad Alexander G Steward lived at 87 Edwards rd Erdington Birmingham and in 1960 144 Ludlow rd.In 1955 Marianna,Mary A,John J Healy,Leonard Norris and Esther G Norris (Healy)all lived at 89 Edwards rd Erdington,in 1960 it was just Marianna,Mary A and John J Healy have no address for them.Esther G Healy married Leonard Norris in 1949 Birmingham he was from Trinidad.There was also another sister Kathleen Healy i dont know if she stayed in Ireland there is no mention of her.This is all i have,i know its a long shot,thanks again for getting back to me.
        Regards
        Donna

Comment

Hi Elwyn,i have made a mistake on the above message i sent you,i have found out a little bit more since that message i hope this makes it a little easier.Mary Josephine Healy was born 22 May 1913 she had 2 sisters Esther G Healy born 6th March 1914 and Kathleen Theresa Healy born 19th October 1921,she had a brother John J Healy not sure of his D.O.B fingers crossed you may find something,thankyou very much for the help i really appreciate it.
          Regards
          Donna

Comment

Hi sorry to message again i have just been given some info that may help,Mary Josephine Healy s sister,Esther Gertrude Healy,registered quater april-june 1915,registration district Dublin South volume 2,page 605 country Ireland could i get mothers name from this? thankyou.

Comment

Yes you should get the mother’s details from that. Go to the GRO Roscommon website: www.groireland.ie/ Download the application form you need, and complete with the information you have, including the location, year, quarter, Volume & page number. Put that information on the lines for date and place of the event etc. Don’t worry if you have to leave some boxes blank, eg PPS number. Be sure to tick the box marked photocopy, if that suits you as it’s cheaper. You then either fax or post the form off (there is no e-mail option for certs pre 1.1.1922). Their turnaround time is 7 to 10 days plus however long the post takes. Should cost 4 euros if you provide accurate data.

I’ll have a look for births of the others for you but familysearch is down at present and so I can’t access the database.
              Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

I can see a birth for a Kathleen Florence Healy birth in Dublin South Oct – Dec 1921 Vol 2 page 354. Also Mary Josephine Healy Apr – Jun 1913 Dublin North Vol 2, page 477. That might be your nan.

If you order a copy of Alexander & Mary’s marriage cert that should give you her father’s name, which you can then use to ensure you have the right birth certificates. The marriage cert will cost £9.25 from GRO at Southport.
                Elwyn

Comment

hi Elwyn
                  Thanks for your offer

I am trying to find information on my gtgt grandfather and am new to Irish research
                  This is what I know

JAMES GREEN b.c.1857 Antrim, Ireland (family oral history says in Ballymena)
                  I can find no record of him before 1881
                  He married Jane Ann NICHOLAS around 1875- 1880 (she was born in Wales and still there in 1871) but I cant find the marriage in Wales or England
                  James is in Walker, Longbenton Northumberland England with his wife and children on the 1881 and 1891 census a shipwright/ ship carpenter.
                  They had 6 children in Walker.
                  Sometime between 1891 and 1895 the family moved to Belfast, Ireland.
                  I have been told they lived in Rowan St, Belfast
                  I found a death Burials Belfast city cemetery Mrs Jane Green age 42, last residence 29 Rowan St, Earth Burial, M1 199 for his wife
                  On the 1901 census I found James age 43 a shipwright at Rowan St, Belfast a widower with 2 of his English born children and a new child George GREEN age 6 born Belfast, all presbyterian
                  On the 1911 census I found what appears to be James at Rowan St, Belfast but with a new wife Jane however he is only 45, a labourer and Church of Ireland (none of his children are there, just an adopted daughter)

I would love help with finding James birth, either of his marriages, the birth of his son George and what happened to his son George whom I cant find on the 1911 census (his 2 daughters on the 1901 census are accounted for, one died 1902 in Belfast, the other went to Wales)

thanks
                  Rach

Comment

Rach,

The couple in the 1911 census are not your family. They had been married 20 years and were born in Belfast. Wrong denomination and wrong type of employment. It’s just another James Green in the same street.

The 1901 census at 29 Rowan St, looks to be your family OK but I can’t see your James (or his children) in Ireland in the 1911 census and suspect they had left again. I’d be inclined to search the 1911 English & Scottish censuses for him.

James Green is in the Belfast Street directory at 29 Rowan St in 1895 & 1896 but he’s not shown for 1892 so I’d guess he arrived in Belfast between 1892 and 1895. (I don’t have access to 1893 or 1894). The 1907 street directory list no 29 as being occupied by J. Smith, shoemaker, (with the other James Smith, labourer, at no 3). So your family had left by 1907.

I can’t see any marriage in Ireland to Jane Ann Nicholas and suspect they married outside Ireland. There is a marriage between a James Green and a Jane Nicholas in Paisley, Scotland in 1879. GROS ref 573/00 0342. You can get a copy of the certificate from the Scotlandspeople site. A lot of people from Co Antrim went to work in the Glasgow area so it wouldn’t be surprising to find James there. If it is the right couple, the certificate will list both James parents which will be a big step forward in finding his family around Ballymena.

Statutory recording of births only started in Ireland in 1864, so you won’t find a birth certificate for James c 1857. You might find his baptism but to do that you would need to know where he was baptised. There are 6 Presbyterian churches in Ballymena, but even if you found a James Green baptism, without some additional information such as father’s name, you couldn’t be sure it was the right one. So you need to check out that marriage.
                    Last edited by Elwyn; 05-04-13, 10:27.
                    Elwyn

Comment

Elwyn

THANKYOU so much I had no idea how to move forward and your information is invaluable
                      I didn't think to look for a marriage in Scotland as I had checked Wales, England and Belfast but you may well be onto something

thanks again for your generous help
                      Rach

Comment

Thanks Elwyn,
                        you have solved a mystery the marriage in Scotland was the right one!!!

James Nicholas age 22 (in 1879) parents Henry Green and Ann ?? (possibly StMichael)

I* have found a possible baptism but its Church of Ireland not Presbyterian so not sure
                        1856 Church Baptism
                        Ballyclug, Church of Ireland, Co.Antrim
                        James Green
                        Father: Henry Green
                        Mother: Jane ?

thanks again Rach

Comment

The parents for the baptism you have found are probably Henry Green & Jane Lamont who married in Ballymena in 1852.

If you want to e-mail me the marriage cert you have, I’ll have a look at the mothers maiden name and see if I can work it out.
                          Elwyn

Comment

Hi Elwyn
                            I've reached a blockage in my research into my family background. I have found my GGG Grandfather Hugh Callaghan in 1825 signing up for the British Army in a magistrates court in Scotland. The record states his place of birth as Lurgan Co. Armagh. From various data I have estimated his year of birth as 1809. Family legend has it that the Callaghan family came from Co. Clare, not sure about this especially when I found a village of Clare in Armagh.

Are you able to offer any help to with my research?
                            Many Thanks in advance.
                            Regards: Kelvin Callaghan

Comment

Hi Elwyn
                              I've reached a brick wall in my family history research.
                              My GGG Grandfather, Hugh Callaghan, I have traced back to 1825 when, in a Scottish Magistrates Court, he signed up for the British Army. On the paperwork he states he was born in Lurgan Co. Armagh and I believe his year of birth was around 1809. Also family legend has the Callaghan family originating in Co. Clare but I am not sure as I have found a village called Clare in Co. Armagh, maybe the family legend is mistaken.

Is there any help or advice you can offer to enable me to progress my research?

Many thanks in advance.
                              Regards: Kelvin Callaghan

Comment

Kelvin,

You don’t say what denomination your family were but I’ll guess RC. Lurgan is in Shankill parish. Unfortunately their RC records don’t start till 1822, so you are not going to be able to find Hugh’s parents from that source.

Unusually for an RC parish there are some burial records for the period 1825 – 1900 (held by Armagh Ancestry – pay to view). So you might be able to identify some Callaghans from that but in general I’d say you may struggle to get back any further that you have already got.

If Hugh died in Scotland after 1855, his death certificate should have his parents names but you probably know that already.

It’s often very difficult to get back before 1800 with Irish research, especially if the family were RC and from a rural area like Lurgan.

Elwyn
                                Elwyn

Comment

Hi Elwyn. I'd like to take you up on your very kind offer. My g/grandfather James Campbell, son of Andrew & MaryAnn , nee Grove, born 1849 in Ballyderlan, (Ballyederlan) Co.Donegal. I've been searching for some time looking for the area Ballyderlan, as written on James' marriage certificate but with no success. (He & his brother George emigrated to New Zealand in 1874. ) On his death certificate his place of residence was listed as Belfast. Campbell is a common name which makes the search that more difficult.
                                  James & George were listed (immigration form) as agriculture labourers, so I'm thinking their father Andrew may have been a tenant farmer. Can find no record of him owning any land.
                                  I've checked the census available, Griffiths valuations, Tithe Applotment books etc. with no luck.
                                  I believe they were Presbyterians. I did email a couple of churches in the area hoping that their name/s may appear in marriage/birth/death records, but didn't receive a reply. I guess they get a lot of queries.
                                  Any info that may give a hint of their lives or the area Balleyderlan, would be much appreciated.
                                  Many thanks

Comment

Fern,

Ballyederlan is a townland of 307 acres on the St John’s Peninsula in southern Donegal. You can find it using the Griffiths maps. Or if you can’t work them, let me know and I’ll talk you through it.

If George and James were agricultural labourers, then I think their father would also have been that. They’d have been farmers sons if their father was a farmer, and this is borne out by there being no Campbells in Griffiths for Ballyederlan in 1857. Most farmers would be listed. Many agricultural labourers properties were too poor to make it into Griffiths.

No Campbells in Ballyederlan in 1901, indicating they had moved on, as was quite common with agricultural labourers:

I looked for marriage between Andrew Campbell and Mary Ann Grove in the statutory marriage records but did not find one. That would suggest their marriage was before 1st April 1845 when stat records started.

Ballyederlan is in the civil registration area of Donegal town. I searched for deaths of an Andrew Campbell there 1864 to 1901. Found just two. One died 1864 vol 2, page 29, est year of birth 1800; the other died 1866 Vol 12, page 29 est year of birth 1801. You might want to order those to see if either lived in Ballyederlan.

You can order a photocopy from GRO Roscommon for €4 per certificate. Put the place, year, volume & page number on the application form (anywhere). http://www.groireland.ie/ You have to post or fax the form to them but they will e-mail the copy certificate to you if you wish. Put “please e-mail to…..” clearly on the top of the form.

You are going to need to rely on church records for the births as they are pre stat registration (1864). Not quite sure which would be the nearest Presbyterian church to St Johns point. Donegal town? Which churches have you written to? (There are copies of most Presbyterian church records in Belfast and I may be able to check them out for you).

Elwyn
                                    Elwyn

Comment

Elwyn, many thanks. You have given me another perspective of looking at the info I have and I would have to agree, it all makes sense. I'll take a look at Griffiths maps. It was some time ago that I contacted a couple of Presbyterian churches, just where they were, I'm not sure now, but I'll see what I can find for those areas.
                                      Thankyou, I feel that I'm one step closer to knowing about my gg/grandparents and their family.

Comment

Hello everyone I have a problem in researching my Irish roots. My great grandmother Margaret Wray was married in Letterkenny, Donegal, Ireland on the 12th May 1908 to my great grandfather Robert Moore. She was born around 1886 I have only found the father's names of both of them. I am ideally trying to find her birth certificate but no luck. I don't even know how to find out how she came to be in Glasgow with her husband.
                                        Yours Mrs Wendy Landale nee Guldberg

Comment

Hello everyone I have a problem in researching my Irish roots. My great grandmother Margaret Wray was married in Letterkenny, Donegal, Ireland on the 12th May 1908 to my great grandfather Robert Moore. She was born around 1886 I have only found the father's names of both of them. I am ideally trying to find her birth certificate but no luck. I don't even know how to find out how she came to be in Glasgow with her husband.
                                          Yours Mrs Wendy Landale nee Guldberg
                                          P.S. This is where I got some information
                                          http://ifhf.rootsireland.ie/view_det...donegal&page=1

Comment

Working...
                                          X