X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
    OK, I've found a useful tool, not quite what I want, but it works:
    Irish Civil Registration and Displensary District Maps

So, I'm looking for the birth of James Steele, born ~1863. I think this link to his record in 1901 will work:
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.i.../nai000674828/

I'm not finding his birth registration on irishgenealogy. How compliant were people with registration by the time of his birth?
    BTW - his father should be William (and mother, Sarah, as stated in the census record)
    Statutory birth registration didn’t start in Ireland till 1.1.1864. As Karamazov has mentioned, Tromaty is in Inishowen civil registration district, and so births & deaths 1864, plus Protestant marriages 1845 onwards are all there.

Prior to 1864 you need to search church records. The family was Presbyterian.

The nearest Presbyterian churches to Tromaty are Moville (baptisms from 1833 and marriages 1845), Greenbank (baptisms 1862 and marriages 1864) & Knowhead (baptisms 1826 & marriages 1846). Copies of those records are in PRONI.

Presbyterians in Ireland don’t use the parish system and so which church you attend is just a matter of personal preference. Not always the closest to where you live. Tradition was to marry in the bride’s church so if you know of a Steele female marrying, the church that was in may be a clue.

Presbyterians generally didn’t keep burial records.

Administration of the estate of John Steele late of Trinity Quigley's Point County Donegal Farmer who died 3 September 1900 granted at Londonderry to Richard Steele Farmer.

Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Elwyn, continuing on the Blackburn(e) theme -
      William Blackburne is in Far Three Trees in the Landed Estates Court Rentals 1850-1885.
      Tenant's Names - William Blackburne, formerly William Culbert
      Leased dated 29th September, 1826 from John Chambers to William Culbert.

Any possibility that William Culbert's name change would have been done in a court and there are surviving records?
      Any speculation about that name change?

Thanks
      sarah
      Sarah,

Very unlikely that the name change was done in court, and even less likely that any record would have survived if it was. There’s never been any need to register a change a name formally in Britain or Ireland. You just change it. Nowadays some bodies such as banks and the passport office require an affidavit, but in the 1820s or 1830s it’s very unlikely that any paperwork was involved.

Can’t really say why he might have changed his name. With children you often see a name change if the mother remarries. Occasionally the terms of a will or a marriage settlement make certain arrangements conditional upon a person changing their name. What was William’s wife’s name? Could it have been Culbert?

Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

• Hi, Elwyn -
        I'm looking into the death of a "shirt-tail cousin" (my grandfather's term, she would have been the first wife of his uncle-by-marriage):

Martha Jane Patterson, age 24, died Fever hospital workhouse, Coleraine after a 1 month duration, school mistress, died 15 June 1881.

In reality, she was Martha Jane (Dickson/Dixon) Pattison; her husband was Robert Pattison, and she was mother of two children. Robert & Martha married in 1st Pres of Coleraine.

Any chance of finding an obit, or more info about hospital workhouse?
        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 11-01-22, 17:55.

Comment

Hi, Elwyn -
          I'm looking into the death of a "shirt-tail cousin" (my grandfather's term, she would have been the first wife of his uncle-by-marriage):

Martha Jane Patterson, age 24, died Fever hospital workhouse, Coleraine after a 1 month duration, school mistress, died 15 June 1881.

In reality, she was Martha Jane (Dickson/Dixon) Pattison; her husband was Robert Pattison, and she was mother of two children. Robert & Martha married in 1st Pres of Coleraine.

Any chance of finding an obit, or more info about hospital workhouse?
          Here’s a link to some information on Coleraine Workhouse:

https://www.workhouses.org.uk/Coleraine/

It doesn’t appear that the admission records for the 1880s have survived, so you won’t be able to get any more information about her from from that source.

Nearly all workhouses had a hospital attached, and that was free to anyone admitted to the workhouse. Otherwise, in general, you had to pay for medical treatment until the creation of the NHS in 1947. So it wasn’t uncommon for people to be admitted to the workhouse simply to get free medical treatment. In my experience some discretion was shown over whether someone was really destitute. If seriously ill, they were often just admitted and put in the infirmary. You often see: “To the infirmary” or similar, in the admission records which is a clue that they needed medical treatment rather than were unable to support themselves.

When the workhouse system was closed down in the 1940s, many of the infirmaries kept going and joined the fledgling NHS. That was the case with Coleraine and it became Coleraine Hospital.

The variation in spelling of the name Patterson/Pattison is common enough. The 2 spellings were interchangeable and often varied according to the whim of the person recording the information. There were many other similar names in this part of Ireland, eg Kilpatrick/Kirkpatrick, Falconer/Faulkner, Robertson/Robinson, Kerr/Carr and so on.

Martha had a death notice in the Coleraine Chronicle of 18th June 1881: “Pattison – At Coleraine, on 13th inst, Martha Jane, wife of Mr Robert Pattison, aged 24 years.”

I don’t see an obit. They weren’t that common in Ireland, or certainly not as common as you tend to find in America or Canada.

Elwyn

Comment

• Elwyn, thank you so much for the look up and lending your knowledge. The death notice confirms that she is the person I thought, so is quite useful.

Comment

• no, one more question - is there likely to be a grave stone, and if so, how to find it?

Comment

• There might be a grave. Do you know which church the family attended? I know the marriage was in Coleraine 1st P but tradition was to marry in the bride’s church, so not necessarily the same church she’d have attended thereafter. I see Robert was a farmer, and farmers were usually able to afford gravestones (whereas the average labourer could not).

I know there are folk from Dam Head buried in Ballywillin Old graveyard, Shellhill in Coleraine and Ballyclabber Reformed Presbyterian. So those are possibilities.
                Elwyn

Comment

• Sorry, I missed your post.

I don't know much about Robert in the old country. He immigrated in 1882. His daughters came in 1885, accompanied by John Pattison (relationship unknown).

Daughter Mary Jane's BirthReg - 6 Dec1879 Dam head, Kildollagh, father farmer
                  Daughter Isabella, 13 January 1878, other as above.

And mother, Martha Jane, was a school mistress on the death reg - so, was she a teacher, or did she run a school? What would her training have been? Isabel went on to become a teacher herself, then an assistant to her husband in his outreach work.
                  Last edited by PhotoFamily; 22-01-22, 01:22.

Comment

Sorry, I missed your post.

I don't know much about Robert in the old country. He immigrated in 1882. His daughters came in 1885, accompanied by John Pattison (relationship unknown).

Daughter Mary Jane's BirthReg - 6 Dec1879 Dam head, Kildollagh, father farmer
                    Daughter Isabella, 13 January 1878, other as above.

And mother, Martha Jane, was a school mistress on the death reg - so, was she a teacher, or did she run a school? What would her training have been? Isabel went on to become a teacher herself, then an assistant to her husband in his outreach work.
                    The term school mistress in Ireland and Britain meant (and still means) a teacher. Looking at Griffiths Valuation for c 1860 I see John Pattison with a house beside Damhead school, so I strongly suspect that’s where she taught. It was a National School, ie state funded, and generally appears to have had 2 teachers. Some files exist in PRONI on the school. ED/1/27/22 & ED/1/27/209 are viewable on-line and give a description of the school and some of the staff.

Teacher training might have been at an institution in Belfast or Dublin or may just have been learned from another teacher. (Some schools used the senior pupils to teach the junior ones though in this case Martha Jane was obviously not a pupil).
                    Elwyn

Comment

• Thanks again, Elwyn. You have been and continue to be an invaluable source of information.

Comment

• Elwyn, could you search for the following people around termonmacguirk parish around 1810s for a Birth record for Patrick Donnelly? He married Mary Daly around 1832 and I have that record.

Thanks,

Lucas

Comment

• Lucas,

I assume the family was RC. If so the bad news is that there are no baptism records for Termonmaguirk prior to 1834. They didn’t start keeping them before that. So you are unlikely to find any birth record for Patrick. A lot of Irish research comes to a standstill around the early 1800s die to the general lack of records.

Sorry.

Elwyn
                          Elwyn

Comment

Working...
                          X