Coroner's report in the newspapers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coroner's report in the newspapers?

Can anyone find anything in the press about this death please? I just got the pdf cert. this morning in the hope of finding out exactly where she died and that her father might have been the informant which would have a) given his occupation and b) given me a date from which to look for his own death. A search for a John Harrison of uncertain age in The Potteries area is a true needle in a haystack

Annoyingly the death cert only says she died in Etruria which is not helpful and the informant was not a family member but W. Harding, the coroner for Burslem. This would fit with the girl dying in Etruria as it was an area stuffed full of pottery firms.

However, I am hoping that the girl actually lived in Tunstall which is about 3 miles from Etruria as the crow flies. I have her birth certificate and also what I am certain, is her burial, both of which were in Tunstall. The date of death is 31 January 1852 and the burial was 3 February 1852 but the death certificate was not issued till 29 March 1852 just about 2 months after her death. The cause of death was "Visitation of God". 1852 is a bit late for that kind of terminology as the powers that be had been trying to stamp out such non specific causes of death since the beginning of civil registration. Maybe it took 15 years and more for The Potteries area coroners to catch on? :D Surely with the cause of death and the time it took for the death certificate to be issued, there had to have been something reported in the papers?

Below are her birth certificate, her baptism, her family on the 1841 census, her burial entry and her death certificate. I have tried every which way to find her either on her own or with her family in the 1851 census but I cannot find her on either ancestry or FMP. She was very much alive so where is she?? She is not in any tree except for mine and that of the daughter of my cousin.

HARRISON, Charlotte Birth Certificate 1839.jpg

Charlotte HARRISON Baptism 1839 GBPRS_STAFF_004029902_00551.jpg Right hand page, 2nd last entry

John and Mary Ann Harrison 1841 Census-0993_0487.jpg Left hand page, 2nd household

Charlotte HARRISON Burial 1852 GBPRS_STAFF_004029901_00742.jpg Right hand page, 3rd last entry

HARRISON, Charlotte Death Certificate 1852.jpg
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 06-02-20, 00:08.

GL ............ I haven't found anything in the newspapers on FMP
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

GL. You seen to have looked into all possibilities. I am just wondering if they buried the bodies as soon as possible to save having to preserve them, then the coroner took his time doing his paperwork.

I have heard of Visitation of God but never seem it on a death cert. It quite upset me really. Wondering if it means it was sudden and no obvious injury.
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

meaning according to wikipedia
        Used in a more religious time than ours, it meant the death was inexplicable and it was thought that God had decided that it was time for the person to die. It later came to mean that the person died of natural causes. It was a verdict often given by Coroner's juries, particularly in the 19th century.
        Brian
        avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
        researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
          GL. You seen to have looked into all possibilities. I am just wondering if they buried the bodies as soon as possible to save having to preserve them, then the coroner took his time doing his paperwork.

I have heard of Visitation of God but never seem it on a death cert. It quite upset me really. Wondering if it means it was sudden and no obvious injury.
          It’s a term medics used to use when they could not find anything obvious - a sudden, unexpected and unexplained death. Later they used the term “natural causes”. I have another certificate with this as cause of death. The person was of a good age though. Presumably, despite his advanced years, he was known to keep good health.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
            GL ............ I haven't found anything in the newspapers on FMP
            Thanks Sylvia. I am so hopeless at searching newspapers.

Comment

Nothing on BNA either which is usually a bit better coverage than FMP, 1852 has Jan and March articles for the name but most are a ship by the name or a lass stealing a tin bucket.
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
              My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
              My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks Glen

Comment

I just checked under the coroners name and a few reports for Jan, Feb and March came up but nothing obviously connected to the Harrison name. They are very short reports, just a few lines in almost every case and many with no names. "The deceased destroyed himself while labouring" and an account of a man found dead in water at a pit......verdict "found drowned". The accounts published with names and any useful details seem to start "illegitimate child of...."

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

No funeral announcements?

Comment

a search of tunstall and death brings up very few results on the 1850s maybe the newspapers are not there yet :(

staffs newspapers.JPG

this one didn't start till 1854

Last edited by cbcarolyn; 06-02-20, 18:52.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                        Nothing on BNA either which is usually a bit better coverage than FMP, 1852 has Jan and March articles for the name but most are a ship by the name or a lass stealing a tin bucket.

Glen ............. FMP also had those articles. The ship certainly seemed to get around! :D
                        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

It always amazes me that you can trawl for ages to find a report then it appears three times on the following page in newspapers hundreds of miles from the location of the event

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Bit of a long shot what do you think to this

Miss Charlotte
                            Last name Harrison
                            Application year 1851
                            Piece description Index to names of Passport holders.
                            Dates 1851
                            Archive reference FO 611/1
                            Series description Foreign Office: Chief Clerk's Department and Passport Office: Passport Registers Indexes of Names.
                            Series FO 611
                            Archive
                            The National Archives
                            Record set Index To Register Of Passport Applications 1851-1903
                            Category Travel & migration
                            Subcategory Travel
                            Collections from England, Great Britain

Comment

Ooh, anything is worth looking at. Many thanks Val, where did you find that?

Comment

FMP , not found anything else though

Comment

Am out just now Val. Will look for it later.

Comment

I don’t think that the girl I’m looking for Val. I looked for any Charlotte Harrison mentioned in the year of the passport application and the next couple of years on the assumption that the passport was acquired for use soon after it was granted. I found two Charlotte Hs emigrating to Australia but one was a seven year old girl in the bosom of her family and the other was a forty two year old woman.
                                    I noticed in the explanation of the record set that you found, people of that time did not actual require a passport to emigrate. My Charlotte was from a working class family and probably could not have afforded to make a passport application. In April 1851, she would only have been twelve. The passport number immediately before in the list and issued the same day was for a Thomas Harrison which leads me to believe that Thomas and Charlotte were spouses or possibly father and daughter. My Charlotte’s father was John.

Comment

ah shame, will have another look, wonder if she was in a Hospital or workhouse in 1851

Comment

where are the rest of the family in 1851?
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Working...
                                        X