Ellen Decoursey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ellen Decoursey

Searching for information on the Decoursey family of Poplar, in particular Ellen Decoursey, my great-great-grandmother. Ellen, born in 1875, married Robert Pratt in 1895 and lived in Harlington, Middlesex until her death in 1909. Am aware that she had two sisters, Kate and Polly, although Polly might have been called Margaret. Ellen had three known children with Robert Pratt, though it is rumoured they had 9.

If anyone could shed any light on the names of Ellen's parents or provide any other information I would be so grateful.

Kind regards

Hello Frank and welcome to FTF.

I am only seeing three children registered to Robert and Ellen but of course any stillbirths will not show up in the birth registers.

I will have a look for Ellen but have to go out soon. I expect someone else will be along to help in a bit!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
      Hello Frank and welcome to FTF.

I am only seeing three children registered to Robert and Ellen but of course any stillbirths will not show up in the birth registers.

I will have a look for Ellen but have to go out soon. I expect someone else will be along to help in a bit!

OC
      Thank you! We were always aware of them having two children, Catherine Ellen and Robert James. It was only yesterday that we discovered that they had a further son, William. The 1911 census does list Robert as having 9 children, hence our confusion as we were only aware of two!! We never knew for sure that Ellen Decoursey was definitely a relative, as the name had only been bandied around in our family for years. To find out she was my great-great-grandmother was quite a shock!

Comment

Had Robert been married before and counted all his children instead of the children of his current marriage as he should have done?

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
          Had Robert been married before and counted all his children instead of the children of his current marriage as he should have done?
          He was 22 when he married Ellen, so though it was possible for him to have been married before, it seems quite unlikely and I cannot find any trace of it. Him and Ellen married in 1895 and had their first child in 1904, 9 years wait to have children seems strange for that time period. He did remarry after Ellen's death, to Nellie Ayling in 1909. It is unknown whether they had any children together. Nellie Ayling's maiden name was Edwards, if that helps!

Comment

Could the 9 be a badly written 3?

Must go now!

OC

Comment

1891 England Census, Goodliffe Street, Bromley, Kent.

Patrick Decoursey, head, widower, 45, stevedore, dock l, b. Ireland
              Polly, daughter, 20, b. Poplar
              Ellen, daughter, 18, b. Poplar
              Kate, daughter, 16, rope maker, b. Poplar
              Ellen Quinn, boarder, 22, matchmaker, b. Poplar

On Ellen's marriage certificate (5 Oct 1895) at the Parish Church in Harmonsworth, she's listed as 21, spinster, daughter of Patrick Decoursey, labourer.
              Groom Robert is 23, batchelor, labourer, son of James Pratt, labourer.

STG
              Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
                1891 England Census, Goodliffe Street, Bromley, Kent.

Patrick Decoursey, head, widower, 45, stevedore, dock l, b. Ireland
                Polly, daughter, 20, b. Poplar
                Ellen, daughter, 18, b. Poplar
                Kate, daughter, 16, rope maker, b. Poplar
                Ellen Quinn, boarder, 22, matchmaker, b. Poplar

On Ellen's marriage certificate (5 Oct 1895) at the Parish Church in Harmonsworth, she's listed as 21, spinster, daughter of Patrick Decoursey, labourer.
                Groom Robert is 23, batchelor, labourer, son of James Pratt, labourer.

STG
                Thank you so much!!

Comment

If Ellen is the one b. Q4 1875 in Stepney Registration District, the indexes give her mother's maiden name as Regin.

Comment

If Ellen is the one b. Q4 1875 in Stepney Registration District, the indexes give her mother's maiden name as Regin.
                    Thank you... I believe her mothers name may have been Catherine. Is there anything for a death of a Catherine Decoursey?

Comment

I've looked here ....

... using various spellings etc, but no luck.

Can't find the family on the 1881 census +/- a wife for Patrick.

Comment

I've looked here ....

... using various spellings etc, but no luck.

Can't find the family on the 1881 census +/- a wife for Patrick.
                        Thank you for trying!

Comment

Oh some confusion here!

I identified Ellen Decourcey as born 1875 Stepney, mmn Regin, which led me to the marriage of Edward DeCourcy and Ellen Regan in March 1860!

So, where are Robert and Ellen in 1901?

OC

Comment

Sister Kate married on 16 Oct 1892 at the parish church in Poplar:

Walter William Cain, 19, batchelor, boilermaker (I think it says), son of George Henry Cain, labourer
                            Kate Decoursey, 18, spinster, daughter of Patrick Decoursey, labourer.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                              Oh some confusion here!

I identified Ellen Decourcey as born 1875 Stepney, mmn Regin, which led me to the marriage of Edward DeCourcy and Ellen Regan in March 1860!

So, where are Robert and Ellen in 1901?

OC
                              Confusion indeed!

Comment

Living at 1 Yew Cottages in Harlington, Middlesex

Comment

Confusion indeed!
                                  The variation of spellings of Decoursey is enough confusion in itself!

Comment

I also read that 1911 as showing that Robert had 3 children, 2 still alive and 1 died, while Nellie had 1 child that she brought into the marriage.
                                    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

It looks as though Nellie was married to a John Ayling, and that he must have died between 1901 and 1909, though I can't find that death.

If it is the one that I think, Nellie's maiden name was Edwards

Marriages Dec 1893 (>99%)
                                      Ayling John Lemuel Guildford 2a 102
                                      Edwards Nellie Guildford 2a 102

Look for births to Robert Pratt and Nellie after 1911 with mother's surname Edwars. Use https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Have to go out now
                                      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Working...
                                      X