Topliff marriage, Derby/ Burton on Trent area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topliff marriage, Derby/ Burton on Trent area

I wonder if anyone can help me find the marriage of John Robert Topliff b 1864 Lichurch, Derby and Ada Thompson c 1872 Burton on Trent, Staffordshire.

Their eldest known child John William Topliff was born c1894 Derby. 2nd child Ernest Osmond Topliff's birth certificate b 1895 states mother as Ada Topliff formerly Thompson so I think they did marry. They had 5 known children together.
    Ada's parents were William Thompson c1850 Bell Green, Foles Hill, Warwickshire and Elizabeth c1851 Norton Lindsay, Warwickshire.

John Robert Topliff did remarry after the death of Ada (died c1907) to Mary Ann Kay in 1918 Derby but not until she had given birth to at least 5 of his children, and at least 7 after they were married.( Total 12)

Although John and Ada had 5 children and
    John and Mary had 12 children
    It is said that John fathered 22 children altogether!

Marriages December 1893

John William TOPLISS
    to Ada Thompson
    Derby 7b 844

EDIT - Above amended after Moggie's prompt, to

John ROBERT Topliss
    to Ada Thompson, etc.

OC
    Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 07-07-09, 18:58.

Comment

There's a tree on Ancestry which says the marriage took place Nov 1899 in
      Burton-Upon-Trent, Staffordshire, England but I can't seem to find it on FreeBMD.
      Moggie

Comment

Moggie

Do you not think the one I posted is right, then?

OC

Comment

Hi OC
          We are looking for a marriage for John Robert, John William was the son.
          Moggie

Comment

The marriage of Ada E Thompson in 1899 was to Thomas Hall.

Comment

Moggie

I'm glad you said that, cos when I look at it properly, it is John ROBERT Topliss, lol!

OC

Comment

How do I find Derby 7b 844?
                I have a membership for Ancestry.

Comment

It is on Freebmd, but should also appear on Ancestry - use TopliSS as spelling though.

OC

Comment

Thanks Guys Derby 7b 844 is the right one!

Can you help with any more children to Ada, Mary or anyone else?
                    Father John Robert Topliff/Topliss.
                    These are the ones I have:

Mother Ada

John William c1894 Derby
                    Ernest Osmond 1895 Derby
                    Albert Edward c1897 Derby
                    Douglas Leslie c1899 Derby
                    Stanley 1901 Derby

Mother Mary Ann Kay all Derby

Gladys 1908
                    Mary Elizabeth 1909
                    Ada Annie 1910
                    Ada 1912
                    George Alfred 1914
                    Henry 1918
                    Ethel May 1920
                    Elsie M 1922
                    Florence Elizabeth 1923
                    John Robert 1925
                    Constance 1927
                    Frank Reginald 1929

Comment

Problem is, if you don't know the other "lady" or ladies, lol, you would just have to get every Topliss birth in Derby, which would be expensive - and the children may not have been registered as Topliss anyway.

OC

Comment

I don't know if you have seen this, it makes interesting reading but doesn't help with your search.
                        Moggie

The healthy children who were hospitalised for their own good - Bygone Derbyshire | Bygone Derbyshire

Comment

Moggie

Ooooh, WELL DONE! What a find! It has to be the same Constance, and 15 children is exactly right, if John William died and was replaced by John Robert, and Ada Annie died and was replaced by Ada.

OC

Comment

Can I ask the question, where did this information come from? Did John Robert leave a will that mentions children other than those born within his 2 marriages?
                            Moggie

Comment

Ada died in 1905 and one is led to wonder why he didn't marry again until 1918, unless Ms Kay was already married.

I cannot find a relevant marriage for a Topliff/Topliss between 1905-1918. The only children born as Topliff which I cannot account for, have mother's maiden name as Owens, and these were born after 1914.

OC

Comment

Here are possibly four of the five missing children:

Ada Lilian born Dec 1896 - no death reg found

George Arthur born Jun 1898 no death found

Samuel Charles born Sep 1900/died Dec 1900

Percival born Mar 1904 died June 1904.

OC

Comment

Grandmasilver,

Was your John Robert Topliff born 9 Oct 1864, have a brother called William born 28 Oct 1861 and parents John Topliff abt 1830 Rocester Staffordshire, died 14 Dec 1867 Carnforth Lancashire and Elizabeth Freakes.

I only have a little bit of info on them, if they are the same people, John sr married my great aunt Emma/ Emily Fletcher in 1857, she died a year later and he married Elizabeth in 1861 she died in 1906

John Robert Topliff married Ada Thompson in 1893

John and Emma`s marriage was also transcribed as Topliss, i have a copy of the register page for this marriage and can see why it was mistranscribed

Sylvia
                                  Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
                                  Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
                                  Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

I have just read the article that Moggie put up and i can remember going to Mill Hill clinic for sun ray treatment, you had to strip down to your knickers for it and sit on a wooden bench in front of the lamps.

Sylvia
                                    Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
                                    Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
                                    Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzie Gert View Post
                                      Grandmasilver,

Was your John Robert Topliff born 9 Oct 1864, have a brother called William born 28 Oct 1861 and parents John Topliff abt 1830 Rocester Staffordshire, died 14 Dec 1867 Carnforth Lancashire and Elizabeth Freakes.

I only have a little bit of info on them, if they are the same people, John sr married my great aunt Emma/ Emily Fletcher in 1857, she died a year later and he married Elizabeth in 1861 she died in 1906

John Robert Topliff married Ada Thompson in 1893

John and Emma`s marriage was also transcribed as Topliss, i have a copy of the register page for this marriage and can see why it was mistranscribed

Sylvia
                                      Yes , this is the same family.

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post

Can I ask the question, where did this information come from? Did John Robert leave a will that mentions children other than those born within his 2 marriages?
                                        Moggie
                                        It was passed down through several parts of the family. The most recent being John Roberts grand daughter through her father Ernest Osmond Topliff. Apparently Ernest left home at an early age because he fell out with his father when Mary Ann came to live with them. He married Mary Ann Jan 1918.

Comment

Working...
                                        X