SD Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD Card

Tom has got a new Car Camera, I have no idea how they work but, he says it says to format the card??? surely if its not been used that's not right.

I'm asking because this is a replacement to one ,he says kept cutting out every 4 minutes, he never did format that card.

Anybody know why that would keep cutting out?

You need to format the card to match the camera recording system. Devices can’t record on to unformatted cards or those formatted to a format that is incompatible with the device. It will tell you in the instruction what formats it can use. It probably tells you which to pick or gives you a choice at the point in the setup where you are asked to format the card. If you get a choice then pick whatever format you know your pc already handles. Or your phone or both, wherever he will be storing any recording he needs to keep. Hope that helps.

Comment

ooh Help, I'm completely in the dark with this, but thanks I shall try.

Comment

does it say what to format it to?

did the other one always cut out? I think some of them have settings to only record a few minutes at a time, and has settings. I researched them a while back...and have one in the box on the side, and have never installed it....due to laziness, and not sure what to do with the wire.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Hi the first one cut out every 4 minutes or so, so they refunded us, but as we thought it might just be a fluke, we ordered the same one again.
          Tom never ever reads instructions, but this time he did, and he says it has to be formatted.
          The writing is so tiny I can barely read it.

Comment

what is the make? User manual might be on line and bigger writing. I have already put mine in, and pretty sure it had an option that is formatted it. will look tomorrow.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

I have a Navman car camera and formatting a SD card is simplicity itself. First insert the memory card,press the on button (mine had three raised stripes to differentiate from other buttons) and then press format. Formatting is done automatically.

Depending on the size of the memory card depends upon the amount of available record time. When the card is full the recorder just repeats itself and writes over previously recorded video.

The wire CBC is referring to is probably the connector for the camera, one end plugs into the recorder and the other into the cigarette lighter socket in your car.

I strongly recommend that the instruction sheet be read and understood even though the printing may be small.
              Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy View Post

The wire CBC is referring to is probably the connector for the camera, one end plugs into the recorder and the other into the cigarette lighter socket in your car.
                yes I mean that one, people seem to have it just hanging down, which doesn't seem a good idea. I feel I need to clip it round. I also have a big lump of 'camera' behind my rear view mirror as my car recognises speed limits etc so I keep dithering where to site the thing!
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

All done thanks , and back in Camera, Tom has found a way to hide the wires but dont ask me how.

Comment

When I bought my camera it came with a packet of clips for the power cable (wire) these have a stick on base and can be stuck around the edge of the windscreen. The clips are only around 10mm at the base and barely noticeable. They then feed the wire around the edge of the screen to under the dash.

David

Comment

I think I need to get some of them, mine didn't come with anything. Some people seem to tuck it in.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

I am sure that car parts and accessories shops (totally clueless as to names of them in UK) would sell this type of clip.

David

Comment

He says it still cuts out every 5 minutes or so, anybody explain in simple terms why ? thanks

Comment

did he go through process of formatting disc?
                            Last edited by cbcarolyn; 10-11-19, 18:22.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

yes Carolyn I did it, its got to be something to do with the loop

Comment

Val, it’s probably worth while googling the brand name of your car camera to try and find out what is the recycle time of the loop and whether it can be changed. 5 minutes does found a bit short however, I thought that generally around ten minutes was the norm.

David

Comment

mine has the option of 1, 2 , 3 or 5 mins or off
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

so are they supposed to turn off every so often?? dont see the point, as while they are off a car could hit us, or am I not understanding this.

Comment

They should turn on again straightaway is my understanding, I don't think I would expect to 'see' about the loop, it is seamless.

found this that explains it:

Our dash cams come packed with great features that raise the bar of dash cam quality and ease of use. Read on to find out more about the great features.

It doesn't sound right, is what it has recorded OK? This is as you are going along it just switches off?

Are you using a different memory card? as if problem is the same it could be the card and not the camera.
                                      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 12-11-19, 09:07.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

Putting it simply (I hope) the recording is a continuous loop around 5 minutes in duration. When it gets to the five minutes times up, it just records over the previous five minutes ad nauseum, and so on. After all if you have an accident or something else it happens in an instant and not a minute ago.

David

Comment

Working...
                                        X