Any Legacy Users Out There?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Linda.
    I did have one go at merging, in the early days, when a sixth cousin of my father married my mother's uncle, but I ended up with a lot of confusion. I assumed it was because I was a beginner and had done it wrong.
    I think I might leave the idea of merging then. I just wondered if one of you might immediately say "Nooooo! Don't do it!" because of your own experiences.
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

lololol Linda!!
      That's good enough for me!
      Gillian

Comment

Noooo....DON'T do it! At least, not on anything that matters. And if you must, back up everything on CD first so you can re enter if need be. I have done it, successfully, but it was long, slow and cross-making.

In my considered opinion.

Beverley

Comment

Thanks Beverley.
          I think I can safely take that as a definite no then - after the considered opinions of our two resident Legacy experts.
          It was a kind of lazy motive I had anyway - I thought it might save me having to read and digest the instructions on "tagging" for sending gedcoms of individual families to people if they were already neatly stored in their own individual groups already!
          Gillian

Comment

Originally posted by Just Gillian View Post
            Another question - if the information comes from Parish Records, but viewed by a contact, not by me, is there a good way of indicating this on the sources?
            Similarily, is there an accepted way of indicating "probable". I am thinking of, for example a death registration from BMD sources.
            Gillian, you can enter in the source information in the usual manner, e.g.Bishops'Transcripts of Baptisms, marriages and burials in Christian Malford,1731-1812 , but instead of making use only of the source tab which allows you to input Source List Name,type,author,Title,publication facts etc, use the other tabs on offer at the top of this screen.

1. Source comments -a way to document how you found a particular source. I have used this field to record information not viewed by me, but sent by another researcher.

2. Repository...a place to record the name and address of the place where this source is stored, if it is not in your own possession eg cemetery, library or archive..or the address of another person who has a copy of the document. Click on the Repository tab, then 'Add'...enter in the name and other details of the information provider. Notice that you have the option to include 'notes' to this field as well.

3. If you want to indicate the surety level of the information you have received, you can open your list of assigned sources, high light the source in question, then click on 'edit detail' on the right of the screen.The screen that opens allows you to choose one of several alternatives, ranging from 'have not decided yet' to 'convincing evidence', as well as stating 'this source has been verified'. The tabs at the top of this screen also allow you to enter in the actual source text, if you wish, make comments about the source and add pictures.

Hope this is helpful...I admit to a feeling of unease about being credited with 'expert' status lol
            Last edited by Macbev; 15-11-06, 15:20.

Beverley

Comment

I think I ended up using 'events' rather than the general 'notes' for much of my information, as it is possible to give a source for each specific event, whereas if everything is bunged into 'notes', you can't really see which source belongs to which part of the note. Comments here, Linda?

Beverley

Comment

Thanks Bev.
                Just bask in the glory of being a Legacy expert - in this beginner's eyes you are, whether you feel it's deserved or not!
                I got into a total muddle with my sources/events etc - I think mainly because I was trying to do it in a hurry .
                So, in the end, I settled for putting all the census refs, marriages, births etc in their appropriate events' sections, with the occasional addition in the notes section, because it seemed to produce the most "logical" flow in the descendant report. Plus, I seemed to have so many little numbers attached to people's names indicating generation and source references, when I tried to do it using a master source list, that it appeared confusing.
                However, it was only one line and, now that I've sent off that report, the pressure is off, so I'll have time to experiment again with the added advice above and from the other Legacy thread, before I start to add the source information to all the other branches.
                Gillian

Comment

Re exporting a gedcom from Legacy -
                  I was trying to export a "stripped down" gedcom to upload elsewhere. i wanted to retain names, bithdates and places, death dates/places and marriage details if possible. Primarily, I was trying to remove all the events such as censi and their associated notes.
                  So, in the customise gedcom section, I de-selected event, to do and notes. However, the gedcom kept turning up with the event notes still on it, but without the notation as to which event they referred to.
                  In the end, I had to deselect every item on the customise list individually, leaving only the compulsory 5 - birthdates etc.
                  My question therefore is - is there a quick way of deselecting everything at the same time rather than going through all the bar mitzvahs, graduations, engagements etc etc one by one.
                  Gillian

Comment

Gillian, I have just tried to do what you describe, and was able to produce a gedcom with no notes, events etc, by ticking the relevant boxes in the 'customise 'window. Did you remember to click 'OK' before you left that screen?....

I see Linda has got there before me...and yes, it was the groups of items to exclude that I ticked.

Beverley

Comment

I don't think I did that, Linda...I compared my two family files..the original showed the census entries etc, the modified gedcom did not. The other thing was exporting to 5.5 rather than Legacy in the Gedcom Export window

Beverley

Comment

Thanks Linda and Bev.
                        I'll go and experiment again using the advice above.
                        I'm pretty sure I didn't "save list" even on the occasion when the correct data was exported.
                        I'll let you know.
                        Gillian

Comment

Well, I have just tried the export selections again using the boxes below and deselecting seems to be producing what I want this time.
                          I'm not sure what I am doing differently - but I think perhaps I was customising first and then choosing the type of file (gedcom) afterwards which seems to cancel all the customise choices just made.

One other thing I have noticed is that after importing a gedcom, as a seperate family file, the next time I open the Legacy programme it asks me to select which file I want to open ,rather than automatically opening in my previously selected default start up family. Is this normal?
                          Gillian

Comment

Originally posted by Just Gillian View Post
                            One other thing I have noticed is that after importing a gedcom, as a seperate family file, the next time I open the Legacy programme it asks me to select which file I want to open ,rather than automatically opening in my previously selected default start up family. Is this normal?
                            Not sure,Gillian. Mine seems to open in the default start up family every time. How many family files do you have in Legacy? If you have previously only had one available family, I suspect the programme automatically defaulted to the only file available. If you now have more than one family loaded, you may wish to set your options as to the default start up family.

Go to Legacy Home View, then 'Options' on the toolbar,and click on 'Customize' .

You will find a large range of options. Mine is currently showing 'start with Family View' in Programme Startup, then 'Open last used family file automatically' in Starting Family File,'Display Preferred Startup Family' in Starting Family and various other options which are probably not all that relevant here.

There are a number of tabs which allow you to set other defaults, such as colour, font, data entry...you may care to browse through these to see what is possible. If you choose any of these, don't forget to 'save' before moving on, or the last setting used will still apply.

Beverley

Comment

Thanks Bev.
                              Yes I have several files as I never incorporate any contacts' gedcoms directly.
                              In the customise section under starting family file I have "always open this file .....(my chosen file)" selected. Importing a gedcom seems to override the setting and revert to "always prompt for starting family file". It's not a major issue as I'm not often importing gedcoms (except when testing how to export!!). I just thought perhaps there was a button I wasn't pushing when doing my imports.
                              Gillian

Comment

I was previewing an "ancestors" report last night.
                                I changed the name to the appropriate name from my tree. However, although the right set of names appears in the report, the title page still says "Ancestors of Joe Bloggs" Joe Bloggs is a second cousin I put on my tree last year for the purposes of producing the report, then removed again afterwards.
                                I can't see where I might be going wrong and am wondering if my copy of Legacy has been corrupted and I should download a fresh one. Before I do, can anyone tel me please if there is a "last used name" box, or similar, which I should be unticking?
                                Gillian

Comment

Thanks for trying it out Linda.
                                  Goodness knows how I ended up with this distant cousin's name permanently stuck on the front page - he never was in the file from which I'm trying to produce the report!
                                  I think I'll export a Legacy gedcom and a standard one to my desktop, delete the Legacy programme and try a fresh download.
                                  If you see me on the FTM threads in future, you'll know it didn't work!
                                  Gillian

Comment

I downloaded a fresh version of Legacy and somehow, when uploading the saved Legacy family file, managed to do a double upload. Trying to merge the identical files on Legacy didn't go too well so I exported it to a copy of FTM and did the merge there.

When I have sent gedcoms to people who are going to open them on FTM, I had always assumed the event notes would show up linked to the relevant event. However, it appears that although the censi dates, references and addresses are listed individually, all the notes referring to them are grouped together so that it is impossible to tell which note refers to which event.

Does anyone know if there is a way round this when customising the Legacy gedcom for export?
                                    Gillian

Comment

The information from the Legacy Hints and Tips threads is available in the Wiki.

Hints and Tips for Legacy Users

The pages are in the process of being edited and having screenshots added, but the text is largely the same as before.

Last edited by Caroline; 27-07-07, 19:50.
                                      Caroline
                                      Caroline's Family History Pages
                                      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Legacy updates v 7

Hi all

first would like to add my thanks for all the helpful tips :D

Have seen a few posts mention they won't update yet as there's a newer version coming out soon but I updated to deluxe just this week and it automatically entitles you to v. 7 upgrade when it is released

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                        X