Free family tree software needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free family tree software needed

Can anyone recommend a good free family tree software download for a laptop please? I've recently bought a new one and need to transfer my tree onto it. I was using a very old version of FTM on my old computer and, at the moment, I don't want to have to buy a newer version so want to download something that lets me see/work on my tree in the meantime. I have downloaded something called My Family Tree which I thought would do but it is the most user-unfriendly program imaginable. I have spent the entire afternoon trying to work out how to add new facts and people to one family and STILL can't fathom it! I am nearly tearing my hair out in frustration. It was so easy on FTM so I need something very straightforward to tide me over until I feel like buying a new version. All recommendations welcome please.
    ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
    Alfred, Lord Tennyson

RootsMagic has a free version which I think is easy to use.
    Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret. I saw that when I did a Google search for free downloads but wondered if anyone had a recommendation.
      Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

The free version of Legacy Family Tree is good. I have just upgraded to the Deluxe version but still in the process of changing over my files from PAF.

Comment

I've been using Legacy Family Tree ever since I began researching..began with their free software and eventually upgraded to the Deluxe version - but only after I felt I understood the basics properly. Never had any fault to find with the package.

Beverley

Comment

i use rootsmagic, but have the paid version, I am not sure what you get for free. The only reason I use FTM is that it synchs to Ancestry, I much prefer rootsmagic. but I am not an intensive user of software, it is basic record keeping with link to images is all I need with some reports. I like the reports, better than FTM
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thanks folks. When I have a spare hour I will investigate.
              Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

"Gramps" is completely free, and I've heard it being highly recommended, although haven't used it myself.

Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
                  "Gramps" is completely free, and I've heard it being highly recommended, although haven't used it myself.

https://gramps-project.org/blog/
                  I saw that one when doing my Google search but ignored it because I hadn't heard of it before. I shall add it to my list to investigate. Thanks!
                  Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

I've downloaded RootsMagic as I thought it looked to be the nearest to my old version of FTM in the way you use it. My Gedcoms have succesfully been imported into it, I've had a look around it and its seems easy to use, so thank you all for your help.
                    Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

another vote for Legacy family tree either the free version or upgrade to deluxe
                      Sue ;)

Comment

Working...
                      X