Description Field in FTM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Description Field in FTM

Along with my ancestry tree I've also splashed out on FTM2019 and I'm finding it a steep learning curve, what goes in the box where it says 'Description' under the Date and Place boxes? I've been used to putting town, county, country under place then there has been a separate box for address where I would put the house name, number etc. would this go in the description box? I've watched the tutorial and read the 'Get Started' blurb but so far I haven't found out where the address goes apart from the 'Fact' address which just seems like extra work.
    Margaret

You are doing that correctly Rusty. Just make sure you are doing it in a consistant manner. ie Ipswich, Suffolk, England or Brechin, Angus, Scotland - use commas between and no full stops afterwards and NOT UK etc. Ancestry records do not always follow that pattern so I always correct the address before entering. The street address and /or area can be put in the description underneath. I like to put the occupation in the description too rather than use yet another 'Fact'. This might seem petty but with FTM you can use lots of different filters for reports and charts etc so starting this way prevents having to reconcile place names.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

You might want to join this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/FamilyTreeMakerUsers/
      I have learnt more from this group than any other tutorials around.
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thank you Kat, I'm finding it a steep learning curve and very 'clunky' after being used to Family Historian. I've joined that FB group, it looks very good and very informative as you said the tutorials are excellent. On the bright side I have made one 'cousin' contact through syncing with Ancestry so it's not all bad.
        Margaret

Comment

Working...
        X