Family Historian forthcoming update if you have a Mac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Historian forthcoming update if you have a Mac

I have been toying with the idea of dumping FTM in favour of FH when the new version comes out which should be in the spring or thereabouts. As I have now purchased a 2nd hand MacBook, I looked on the net to see if it works with MacOS. It sorta, kinda does after a fair bit of faffing around which can be done various ways all of which are beyond my technical understanding.
    I emailed CalicoPie support asking if the new version when it comes out will work with MacOS without the need for extra tweaking. Sadly, the answer is no.

It's worth remembering that the Mac OS is completely different from Windows so creating programs to run natively on Mac, it has to be built in from the ground up, it's not simply a case of pressing a button when compiling the program.

Personally I pick my operating system based on what I want to run on it not the other way around.
    Last edited by jtaubman; 04-01-20, 09:59.
    Jane
    Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Can see your point but the blurb for the forthcoming RootsMagic8 says it will run natively on a Mac. The fly in the ointment is that it could be a while in arriving and I had taken a fancy to FamilyHistorian after the post on here showing some slides from the demo in London last year at a genealogy show. Can’t remember the name of the show.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
        Can see your point but the blurb for the forthcoming RootsMagic8 says it will run natively on a Mac. The fly in the ointment is that it could be a while in arriving and I had taken a fancy to FamilyHistorian after the post on here showing some slides from the demo in London last year at a genealogy show. Can’t remember the name of the show.
        It was Rootstech. I have a fellow genealogy group user who uses it on a Mac using an emulator (not sure if that is the correct word that he used) and has done since it first came out. He may well be glad to advise you if you would like me to put you in touch?
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thank you, very kind offer. Can I think about it please Caroline? My wish list includes a programme that makes it simple to detach branches of trees and export them to make new trees and hopefully takes all attached people. Say for instance that there is more than one marriage between two families and I have siblings, married ins etc. for both families. I would hope that the split takes everyone and I don’t have to go back picking up the missed out people. Also if I have to do some picking up, by copying and pasting people, it would be good if the programme did as many people as I need and not crash after half a dozen copy/pastes and corrupt the original file like FTM does. I know to make a backup of the original before I start but it’s blooming annoying that I know the file corruption is bound to happen.
          Last edited by GallowayLass; 04-01-20, 10:45.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
            Thank you, very kind offer. Can I think about it please Caroline? My wish list includes a programme that makes it simple to detach branches of trees and export them to make new trees and hopefully takes all attached people. Say for instance that there is more than one marriage between two families and I have siblings, married ins etc. for both families. I would hope that the split takes everyone and I don’t have to go back picking up the missed out people. Also if I have to do some picking up, by copying and pasting people, it would be good if the programme did as many people as I need and not crash after half a dozen copy/pastes and corrupt the original file like FTM does. I know to make a backup of the original before I start but it’s blooming annoying that I know the file corruption is bound to happen.

FH will do that. I will be seeing him at the end of the month or I can contact him via email.
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

End of the month will be fine thanks Caroline. I will pm you next week with the model of MacBook that I have. It is running Mojave as I have not used it enough yet to be bothered upgrading to Catalina.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post

FH will do that. I will be seeing him at the end of the month or I can contact him via email.
                I am now up and running with this having bought a programme called Parallels Desktop for Mac. It was not cheap but there was 33% cashback on the ex vat price via TopCashBack so I went for it. The cashback is already in my account as “pending”. It was very easy to download and install but I was quite surprised to find that you don’t need to enter your Windows licence key at all. Unless of course, you want to alter some of the preferences for the way Windows 10 works for you and also make use of the synching your favourites and settings across devices in the new MS Edge browser.

Comment

Working...
                X