FTM synching orange cloud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM synching orange cloud

I have had the 'orange cloud' for a few days now, is it just me, or is everyone getting it. So have not tried to do a synch.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

According to many posts on FB FTM User Group, orange synch is working ok if maybe a bit slow. Various opinions as to why the prolonged orange status. Some say the servers are inundated with people synching after installing 2019. Others saying that ancestry has a known problem synching with 2019 which they are working on. Others say the problem is with mackiev end and they forced an orange status while they try to fix things.
    There’s so many grumbles about weird things happening in 2019 and features missing or changed for the worse compared to 2017 as well as folks being unimpressed with the new features which don’t really do what was promised. It looks more like an update than a brand new upgraded product. There is a new file structure (why???) which makes 2019 files incompatible with even 2017. You have to export to the old format and the only choices are 2017 and 2014.1
    The much vaunted Tree Vault will only handle one tree at the moment and the FTM Connect app is IOS only. Extra tree capacity and Android are still to be worked on. Also, there are features missing from the Mac version compared to the Windows one and different bugs in each!
    To be honest, I am not sure whether, I will bother installing 2019 when I eventually get it. As I didn’t order till 6 June, I won’t be getting my email anytime soon.

Comment

Thank you - I do belong to that FB group - but it drives me nuts, just a long long list of posts - forgot to check on there oops

I didn't bother ordering new upgrade - wasn't really offering any features that were 'inspiring' me anyway. I don't need a cloud if I have Ancestry, and I only own it due to it synching to ancestry.

I have just created new download to Rootsmagic for now, and will work with that for a while, reporting seems much better on that anyway, it is the synching that isn't so good.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Do you use the FTM Units found on that page on LHS. No need to read all through the posts if you just want to know how to....? It's invaluable. Has more info than the Help file.
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

No I haven't, I will have to take a look.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Comment

I've been working hard on three trees over the past two weeks, which required multiple syncs of at least one a day per tree and I've had no sync problems.
            If you read the post on their site, they are saying there is a 'possible' synch risk and that's why they have their orange warning up.

As long as you back up your tree before sync (and I back up weekly), you have no worries

I too have not taken up the 2019 version, as a beta test of 50 users is not effective testing. I'm letting the hundreds who have taken up the offer to do the 'testing', as that's when the real bugs come out and I'll probably think about n upgrade then, but it's only the colour codes improvement that I see as any real improvement from how I use it
            Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 13-10-19, 12:29.

Researching:
            FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

will give it a go later then.

I would like more reporting than pretty colours! Something where you can create a tree on your own website would get my vote. But maybe as it is coming with a 'cloud' perhaps you can do that. I certainly don't want to pay more money for them to host it for me, which seems to be what some are saying is their eventual goal.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                will give it a go later then.

I would like more reporting than pretty colours! Something where you can create a tree on your own website would get my vote. But maybe as it is coming with a 'cloud' perhaps you can do that. I certainly don't want to pay more money for them to host it for me, which seems to be what some are saying is their eventual goal.
                With so many small 'clans' in the neighbouring counties, some of which intermarried, I have found the use of the colour code invaluable in finding the points where the interconnected, but the current version is limited in that compared to what the new version would do. As for the 'hosting' of my tree, no way, I have free web space from my ISP I could use for that.

Researching:
                FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

i received a new (free) update on Tuesday that seems to eliminate the orange cloud problem
                  Brian
                  avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
                  researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

Working...
                  X