Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Tree Maker Question re: lines between spouses

I am using FTM 2017 on Windows 10.
    I am working on a Renaissance family tree and mistresses are more abundant than sand in Copacabana.
    Is there a way of showing a different type of line between husband and wife, and, husband and mistress; e.g:
    h/w = -------------------------------
    h/m = ......................................

Thanks in advance for all assistance and advice.
    Tony V.

Hi, I do not use FTM 2017, but why not differentiate by just typing in the Name as Mistress Ann Jones or Mrs Ann Jones

Comment

Sorry to harp on ... but in Family Historian, if you enter a couple with 'never married' from the drop down list, they will appear in a tree diagram connected by dashed lines instead of solid ones.
      Perhaps FTM has a similar 'never married' tag?
      Anne

Comment

Family Tree Maker Question re: lines between spouses

I ask this question to anyone who actually uses and is very familiar with Family Tree Maker 2017

Is there a way of showing different type of line between husband and wife, and, husband and mistress? --------- / ...........
        Thanks in advance for all assistance and advice.
        Tony V.
        Last edited by tonyvella; 06-07-19, 22:34.

Comment

Hi Tony,

I've used FTM 2017 quite a lot. I had a poke about to see if I could see a way of changing the line type at all and I couldn't see anything obvious in either the on screen view of people or the publish options. I did figure out that if you were to make the man's mistress of unknown sex, then you had the option of changing the colour of the box drawn round them when you create one of the relationship charts if that's an option?

Regards,
          Mark.

Comment

Thanks Mark.
            I too have been all over the place trying to find a way around it. The only idea I came up with that will have to do for the moment is to put "never-married" [nm] after the name of the mistress. As far as different coloured lines are concerned, no joy; I tried all kinds of tricks. Now I want to see what changes/additions have been included in FTM 2019. Who knows?

Comment

Tony,

Just a potential suggestion. Colour Coding. A Mistress is in 'red'?

I have recently taken a new look at colour coding and have been wondering how best to use. Using this way may be an idea.

George

Comment

The two threads on the same topic have been merged.

Perhaps you will have more luck with asking your questions in forums aimed specifically at the software package.

The official home page for Family Tree Maker customer support, with free live chat 24/7, updates and other resources, for all versions including our newest release, FTM 2019.

Family Tree Maker. Отметки "Нравится": 9 902 · Обсуждают: 5. Family Tree Maker has been the #1 best selling family history software since it was introduced in 1989.

This group is for users of the Family Tree Maker software. If you have not yet purchased the Family Tree Maker (FTM) program, please review https://support.mackiev.com/431886-Whats-New-in-FTM-2019...

We are here to have a friendly supportive chat about Family Tree Maker, Genealogy Software from Software Mackiev The Group is mainly for Brits and Anglophiles who like the gentle but formal style of...

This group is set up to discuss thoughts, ideas and problems associated with genealogy. Just to be clear, not a group dedicated to the software of the same name. We are not here to buy and sell...
                Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenofex2 View Post
                  Tony,

Just a potential suggestion. Colour Coding. A Mistress is in 'red'?

I have recently taken a new look at colour coding and have been wondering how best to use. Using this way may be an idea.

George
                  Sorry for the delay in replying, George. I had to be hospitalised for tests for three days.
                  Your colour scheme is magnificent and exactly what I needed. I never realised you could colour-code an individual; I always thought it only applied to the entire branch.
                  Thank you very much and regards from Ottawa.
                  Tony V.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                    The two threads on the same topic have been merged.

Perhaps you will have more luck with asking your questions in forums aimed specifically at the software package.

The official home page for Family Tree Maker customer support, with free live chat 24/7, updates and other resources, for all versions including our newest release, FTM 2019.

Family Tree Maker. Отметки "Нравится": 9 902 · Обсуждают: 5. Family Tree Maker has been the #1 best selling family history software since it was introduced in 1989.

This group is for users of the Family Tree Maker software. If you have not yet purchased the Family Tree Maker (FTM) program, please review https://support.mackiev.com/431886-Whats-New-in-FTM-2019...

We are here to have a friendly supportive chat about Family Tree Maker, Genealogy Software from Software Mackiev The Group is mainly for Brits and Anglophiles who like the gentle but formal style of...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/188753991174368/
                    Sorry for the delay, Caroline. Thank you very much for combining the two threads - something I would have liked to do but did not know how.
                    The MacKiev support is useless for detailed help. They are, however, magnificent at questions about selling and pricing.
                    Facebook is something I would not touch with a barge pole. (Do barges still use poles?)
                    Thank you and regards.
                    Tony V.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyvella View Post
                      Sorry for the delay, Caroline. Thank you very much for combining the two threads - something I would have liked to do but did not know how.
                      The MacKiev support is useless for detailed help. They are, however, magnificent at questions about selling and pricing.
                      Facebook is something I would not touch with a barge pole. (Do barges still use poles?)
                      Thank you and regards.
                      Tony V.
                      Using Facebook or not is your decision but I assume that you have also "googled" to find other sources of help? Personally one of the main reasons I went with Family Historian years ago is their User Group. I had an expensive try of FTM 2017 but gave up with it for many reasons but they do have a very thorough user guide.

This is the blog run by one of the helpful Facebook FTM users:
                      Here is a catalog of Knowledge Base Articles on the Family Tree Maker website that I have found and have published on this blog. ...

Until I actually used Facebook I was very scathing (back then I was very rude about forums in general). I think that many people just realise what a wealth of information is contained there ... you don't have to do any more than sign in, hide all your info, don't make friends and join some relevant groups and read, asking questions if a search of the group doesn't help you.
                      Caroline
                      Caroline's Family History Pages
                      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                      X