TreeView

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TreeView

Has anyone used this software by S & N Genealogy? At the moment I use Family Historian which I do like but there is such a lot of the programme that I don't use as it seems so complicated, I have also played with RootsMagic but it seems very Ancestry based (I don't use Ancestry) and also Family Search orientated, I suspect that the new version which is expected shortly will tighten those contacts, Family Historian hasn't been updated for several years now. So, I just wondered if anyone had used TreeView and what they thought of it, it doesn't seem to have as many bells and whistles as FH and RM so I thought that it might suit me better.

Margaret.
    Margaret

Margaret I also use Family Historian. Yes, it does have a lot of things many people don't use. BUT that doesn't matter. They are there for IF you might need them. There's no compulsion to use them. If I were you I would stay with the program I knew rather than change and have to go through another learning curve and maybe find the new program doesn't do something you have grown used to!

Anne

Comment

I also use FH and second what Anne says - I don't use all of it by any means.

Though the latest version is 6 and has been around a few years now, they have kept adding to it so they're on 6.2.7 now.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thank you Caroline & Anne, what I like most about FH is the way you can work on the tree diagram so that you can see where exactly everyone fits in and the way they handle photos. I've downloaded the free version of TreeView so that I can have a little play.

Margaret.
        Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
          Thank you Caroline & Anne, what I like most about FH is the way you can work on the tree diagram so that you can see where exactly everyone fits in

Margaret.
          That's why I went for it originally - version 2 I think - I always work on the diagram and have little icons to tell me which census I have them in and which BDM or Will I have. I have ventured into using queries to be able to do that. I download plugins or queries when I think I might find them useful and adapting queries where I need to, not always successfully first time. I also have a method for recording my DNA matches using facts & queries (I have 4 kits to look after) which is probably the most cackhanded way to do it but it works for me.

I used to use Ancestral Sources but several computer moves down the line I realised I had stopped. Same with pictures and linking them to the sources. I really need to do a lot of tidying up.

It's not a pretty interface but with the scope for presentation of trees I think it's great. I tried FTM 2017 but gave up mainly because of the way the tree works - an expensive experiment really.
          Caroline
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Have you found the Family Historian User Group? There are some serious users on there but don't let that put you off. You can find good tips and extra downloads if you want them. Also no question is too simple to get advice from fellow users.
            Anne

Comment

Thanks Anne, yes I do use the FHUG, Tatewise normally sorts out my questions which are usually the results of me doing something wrong or stupid. Like Caroline I use the icons under the boxes for BMD and the Census years which are useful, but all I really want to do is keep a Family Tree I don't want all the bells and whistles, if I could put FH back to one of the earlier versions and do without all the complicated bits and pieces I would be very happy with it.

Margaret.
              Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                Thanks Anne, yes I do use the FHUG, Tatewise normally sorts out my questions which are usually the results of me doing something wrong or stupid. Like Caroline I use the icons under the boxes for BMD and the Census years which are useful, but all I really want to do is keep a Family Tree I don't want all the bells and whistles, if I could put FH back to one of the earlier versions and do without all the complicated bits and pieces I would be very happy with it.

Margaret.
                Can't you just ignore the bells and whistles? I think that is the beauty of FH, you can do as much or as little as you wish. Which bits do you find "annoying"? I leave the online bits turned off for example.
                Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                  Can't you just ignore the bells and whistles? I think that is the beauty of FH, you can do as much or as little as you wish. Which bits do you find "annoying"? I leave the online bits turned off for example.
                  I've come to the conclusion that I'm just an old grump preferring the days when life was so much simpler, all I want is a programme that will keep my records, an old version of FH which more-or-less just did trees and the head and shoulders from group photos plus a few other odds and ends would suit me fine. Like you I've turned off the Internet searches as I much prefer to do my own without little lightbulbs everywhere (I'm sure that some find them useful, but I don't), the menus with their long lists I just find confusing and I can never find what I want easily and quickly, the list goes on and I'm finding it impossible to blank out the bits that I don't want and just retain the few bits that I do like. As I said I think that I'm just an old grump.

Margaret.
                  Margaret

Comment

I don't use the internet connections, the mapping, or any plugins. I also don't even use the 'Focus window', preferring to work from the individual property box. The fact that you work from a diagram and use icons shows just how versatile FH is. I think you may be disappointed in a different program. Be interested if Tree View does what you want.
                    Anne

Comment

At the moment the jury is out, I've downloaded the free version to have a play with.

Margaret
                      Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                        I don't use the internet connections, the mapping, or any plugins. I also don't even use the 'Focus window', preferring to work from the individual property box. The fact that you work from a diagram and use icons shows just how versatile FH is. I think you may be disappointed in a different program. Be interested if Tree View does what you want.
                        Anne
                        I had to check what the Focus window was. I only see that when the software opens.

I select a person from the Individuals list and then load up their their Ancestor and Descendant diagram and double click to open whoever's properties I need.

I put my most used Facts on the drop down list including some custom ones e.g. my version of a DNA match fact and 1939 register and only go to the long lists if I need to e g. enlistment or emigration.

I only use queries to put the icons on. I add sources to the facts in a very general way e.g. Ancestry: Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935.

I often have several diagrams open down the side and move between them.

I sometimes change the text/layout for a specific need.

Other than that, it's keep it simple!!
                        Caroline

Comment

Working...
                        X