Family Tree Maker / Ancestry.co.uk Help for a beginner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Tree Maker / Ancestry.co.uk Help for a beginner

Hi, I'm new to genealogy and hoping for some advice please.

Background - I was brought an Ancestry DNA kit for Christmas. After getting results the first person in the Ancestry.co.uk list contact me. She is a cousin on my mother's side and has built a big family tree and shared it with me. That's great and I've muddled myself around Ancestry and copied all her people (relevant to me) to my new family tree which is a fantastic start (feel a bit guilt I haven't worked for it). What wasn't copied over were the "sources" and media files so just starting to work on those.

I'm sure I'll have loads of genealogy questions later to bore you with but for now want to sort out best method of recording so I don't have to redo it later.

So I have Ancestry.co.uk subscription and doing a bit of reading it appears using both Ancestry and Family Tree Maker software seems poplar. My questions:-
    Why use both ?
    Is FTM a good choice and an particular reason?
    How reliable is the syncing between the two ?
    What information is sync'ed and what isn't ?
    My experience of having software syncing is there are always some things to watch out for, any with this combination ?

Sorry for long post, many thanks for any help. Regards, Duncan

FTM is on your computer and will mean regardless whether you have an ancestry sub you have access to all records and more importantly the images. Ancestry you only get this access if you pay them each year.

All info is synhc'd, I have not had any problems with synching, years ago when internet connections were not so good it would go wrong.

There are a couple of recent threads on the forum about the software.

Rootsmagic also links - but it is amazingly laborious as you have to confirm every record with 2 or 3 clicks - so when you add a load of records it is just not practical.

You can obviously have any tree software and then download and upload the records/images manually.

When I have an ancestry sub - I tend to use the website always for the tree and then just synch on a regular basis. I also use the software for reporting to find errors etc - ancestry does not really have any reports. I know some people use the software and then go off to Ancestry as the hints appear on both.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Totally agree with Carolyn. Once you have FTM and synched everything from Ancestry you can view all the photos, censuses images etc and their sources forever as they are stored on your own computer even if you eventually no longer have an Ancestry sub. Don't forget to back up your computer files to outside storage just in case your computer fails.
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

There’s a very good FTM Users Group on Facebook. Lots of experienced users plus people from Mackiev support keep an eye out on it too. You can get to speak to them via a LiveChat facility.

This group is for users of the Family Tree Maker software. If you have not yet purchased the Family Tree Maker (FTM) program, please review https://support.mackiev.com/431886-Whats-New-in-FTM-2019...

Comment

I got FTM half price just before Christmas, I had the old version and the PC crashed and was not happy going on the PC, so maybe worth waiting until they do an offer.

Ancestry used to 'own' and run it, and then there was a small gap when it was hanging in the balance until the new owners took it on. Not sure it is any different from the early days, but it is the synch that sells it to me.

You can also put your own docs on either ancestry or FTM and then synch accordingly if you want to share your finds. I have taken loads of pics of graves over the years and have some other old family photos that I like to share on Ancestry, and have 'linked' and shared with distant relatives. You can still do it and make your tree private if you don;t wish to share.
          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 19-04-19, 13:30.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Thank you very much Carolyn, Kat and GallowayLass. Very helpful answers, they give me confidence that it's the way to go. Good to know that you can put information in either and it all syncs. Generally I like to keep data local and back it up so not reliant on the internet or subscription company.
            Kat - I did work in the computer industry so I'm a bit over the top with backups, don't trust computers so totally agree.
            GallowayLass - Just applied to join the FB group, thanks for the tip.
            Carolyn - Very encouraging hear your experience how you use the two together including putting own docs in either and they sync, that's what I was concerned about. I signed up to Mackiev's newsletter yesterday and have received an email offering up to 50% off plus free upgrade to the next major release ("new 30th Anniversary edition) when it is released "later this year". Will go and buy it now.
            Again many thanks for your help.

Comment

505 off sounds like a good time to buy
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

Yep, just downloaded it and good that they give the 2019 version later this year foc. Buying "2017"version does make you feel a new one is on its way.
                Now to start learning about the world of genealogy, lots to learn I think.

Comment

I hope you have plenty of free time Duncan because this hobby is addictive and can be expensive. I can sometimes even now be on the computer way after midnight and when I first started, years ago now, I was, on occasions, still up at 3 - 4 am!!!
                  Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I can imagine and once I get involved in something I can stay up to late at night. Already just transferring stuff from this other ancestry tree to mine took a long time and I was getting quite confused at times particularly where there was a grandfather, father and son all called James. Well at least it will keep me out of trouble.

Comment

Working...
                    X