Merging Children on a tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merging Children on a tree

My tree starts out with my grandfather Pa. Pa had two wives: Clara & Judy - all dead. Two Problems: Pa is listed twice in the People Index is one problem. The second problem is each Pa in the index lists both wives in the tree and one Pa will list his first 4 children with Clara and the other Pa in the index will list his 6 children with Judy. I need to merge the children into one tree and pop up with the correct wife when she is selected. Another quirk I see is the info. below the tree next to Pa's name which has the correct number of wives, the number 2, but, when I change to either wife the number in her box stays on the number 1 and the kids always stay the same no matter what wife is selected. If I select the other Pa in the name index it will have the other wife's children and they will stay the same no matter which wife I choose.

I need to merge both Clara & Judy's children onto Pa's tree and the children need to change when I select their respective mother. I also need to have one Pa in the name index. I would try something but I know I'll screw something up. Can someone help me.

Welcome to the forum nrandel - I'm afraid I don't have the answer to your question but it would be helpful to know which family tree program you are using so that those with more technical knowledge than me may be able to help

Comment

Without knowing what program you use I cannot be precise, but the normal reason for duplicated children is because the child was added when viewing the “common” parent.

I suggest you delete all duplicated entries then select 1st wife add her children, then select the second wife and add her children and husband if he is not displayed.

Cheers
      Guy
      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Don't know what program you are using but it would be the same with any which is on your own computer.

1. Make a copy 'Safe Copy' of your whole tree
        2. On a different copy of the tree experiment with the merging. If it goes wrong you still have the 'Safe Copy'.
        3. If it goes right ... you have it! The 'Safe Copy can be discarded.
        4. BUT ..... always keep a regular copy (backup) of your tree in another place.

If your tree is online (eg Ancestry) you need to be more careful. Do hope you have your own!

Anne

Comment

Using 2017 for "Merging Children on a Tree"

Oh gosh, I don't know if this is the correct way to reply but this is where my cursor was, Guy. Anyway, correct or not I'm sorry I didn't mention that I was using the 2017 program. Thank you for your suggestion.

Originally posted by Guy View Post
          Without knowing what program you use I cannot be precise, but the normal reason for duplicated children is because the child was added when viewing the “common” parent.

I suggest you delete all duplicated entries then select 1st wife add her children, then select the second wife and add her children and husband if he is not displayed.

Cheers
          Guy

Comment

Sorry, I overlooked that. 2017 is the program.

Comment

I'm guessing 2017 Family Tree Maker??? There are quite a lot of different programs!
              Anne

Comment

Working...
              X