This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM and new laptop.

Hi. I haven't been on here for a long while. Have just had to buy a new laptop as my trusty old pc running vista is slowly expiring. I have always used FTM 2005 without any problems but know I am going to have to upgrade on my new Windows 10 laptop. I need advice as to where I can get a newer version as a download as there is no dvd drive on new laptop. I think all my FTM files are .ftw. Any advice gratefully received.
    Lesley passed away in November 2017.

I have FTM 2006 on my laptop with Windows 10 and it works fine. I'm no techie so I don't know if there's a vital difference between 2005 and 2006 that would cause yours not to work. My laptop has no DVD/CD drive either. I have a portable one which connects via USB cables. Can you borrow one from a family member or friend? Give it a go as nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Comment

you can download ftm 2017 without a disc player, if that is what you are using, by going on the site and following the prompts
      it is not a easy task and you really have to read and reread the instructions
      I think my download took about 1 hour from start to finish
      brian
      avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
      researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

Originally posted by 2weis View Post
        you can download ftm 2017 without a disc player, if that is what you are using, by going on the site and following the prompts
        it is not a easy task and you really have to read and reread the instructions
        I think my download took about 1 hour from start to finish
        brian
        Here is the link you'll need:

Software MacKiev is an award-winning developer and publisher of premium quality software including Family Tree Maker®, KID PIX®, The Print Shop®, Roger Wagner’s HyperStudio®, Mavis Beacon® Teaches Typing, 3D Weather Globe™, WORLD BOOK® Encyclopedia, ClueFinders® Adventures series, Thinkin’ Things® and Thinkin’ Science®, and a growing line of iPhone and iPad apps.
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

All sorted. I invested in an external disc drive (only cost £22) as I needed to install other software from discs. Installed my 2005 FTM and its working just fine. May consider getting FTM 2017 in the future but haven't worked on my tree for a while. Just wanted to know that I could access it if I needed to.
          Lesley passed away in November 2017.

Comment

Working...
          X