FTM for Macs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM for Macs

I currently use Windows Vista with my FTM (possibly v8) which I am very happy with and provides all my needs. However there are a lot of programs I use which now do not support Vista and I am contemplating purchasing a Mac. I have seen that they sell FTM for Macs, so if I went that route would I be able to export my current family history (all 831 members so far) to the Mac program.

Has anyone done this in the past?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I am only thinking of a Mac because Microsoft have problems with viruses, malware, hacking, not to mention updating their Operating Systems etc and Apple don't seem to have that problem.

Bev
    Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

I'd be interested to know too, as I'm also thinking of buying a Mac for the same reasons as you Bev. I currently have FTM 2012 running on windows 7 & worry about transferring my trees

Sue
    Sue

Comment

- Answer ID 5313 What is the Family Tree Maker File Migration Utility and how do I use it? This article discusses the following: - Overview (#Overview) - Before you begin (#Before yo
      Sue ;)

Comment

Thanks Sue! It does sound quite complicated for an oldie like me :-( But I think I will probably give it a go in a few months, when I get my new Mac laptop. Just hoping this one doesn't die before then as it's quite poorly! Both my sons have Macs, so that's another reason for buying one, I'll have some help with it.

If anyone has already done this, all hints and tips gratefully received!

Sue
        Last edited by Crafty Sue; 05-02-17, 14:27.
        Sue

Comment

Sorry for the delay in responding, my PC crashed.

Thanks Sue, I also think it's a bit beyond me and would need outside help. I might just bite the bullet and stick to Windows PCs! The man in Currys also told me that I would need to buy a new Microsoft Office to use on a Mac, so more expense there.

Bev
          Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Comment

Originally posted by r642611 View Post
            Sorry for the delay in responding, my PC crashed.

Thanks Sue, I also think it's a bit beyond me and would need outside help. I might just bite the bullet and stick to Windows PCs! The man in Currys also told me that I would need to buy a new Microsoft Office to use on a Mac, so more expense there.

Bev
            I think Macs come with a Word Processing package so no need for Microsoft Office which I'm not sure in any event works on Mac!

The FTM for Mac is virtually the same as on Microsoft so you should be OK for changing in that respect.

I am on Microsoft and have not found any problems with viruses, hacking etc. in fact they have now installed Windows Defender as standard which keeps everything clean and safe.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
            X