FTM 2012 DeLuxe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM 2012 DeLuxe

Someone has given me this and I am still on 2006. H E L P. What do I do??

Linda

If you want to use it - put disc in drive and it will probably auto install. When you open a file in FTM 2012 that has previously been used in 2006 then it will update the file format but note that it is not backward compatible, so if you decide you do not like the 2012 version you will not be able to go back to 2006 using that same file. For this reason, I would suggest that you back up your 2006 file(s) before you start, so that you have a working copy/copies that you can revert back to at a later date if you find that 2012 is not for you.

Also - there is a BIG difference between the layout and working of the 2006 version and the 2012 version and you may find it a bit of a learning curve to start with. Once you get used to it, it's very easy to use.

Out of interest, which operating system are you using?
    Elaine

Comment

Windows 10 Elaine.

I think I will chance updating as I am falling further and further behind with FTM and my version is no longer supported by Ancestry.

I have my Tree saved on an external hard drive

Linda

Comment

Just choose the standard installation and when you register the product make sure you use the same details as your Ancestry account (i.e. same email and/or username and password)
        Once you have installed the program then go to FILE >> OPEN >> and locate a copy of your file (normally stored in MY DOCUMENTS / FAMILY TREE MAKER). The program should open it without trouble although it might give you a warning that it will change the file format and it cannot be reversed (as mentioned above).
        If you need help then just ask!
        Elaine

Comment

I haven't got 2012 on the computer I am using at the moment (it's on my laptop) but if you click on the PLAN tab at the top of page you may get this option.

2012.jpg

Just click on "Import an existing tree" - locate your 2006 file and the program will do the rest.
          Elaine

Comment

Thanks so much for all that help Elaine. I have never updated as a bit scared but with all that instruction I will certainly have a go

Linda

Comment

Did that this morning with fingers and legs crossed (gave the eyes a miss!!) and it all went well because of your excellent instructions.

Yes it does look very different doesn't it...but I will get used to it, already had a browse around

Thanks once again

Linda

Comment

Working...
              X