Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FTM charts better way to show descendants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM charts better way to show descendants?

Hi, I have recently bought FTM as I want a good way of displaying my family tree. However, I'm not to keen on the way the charts (descendant and hourglass) show the couples joined by a double line but with their children shown coming from just one of them. I'd rather have my charts showing the layout you see on the home page of FTM and ancestry with children seen coming from both parents more clearly.
    I wonder if there is a way I can do this in the charts. Hope that makes sense! If not I will try to post an image of what I mean.
    Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

I know what you mean and unfortunately as far as I am aware there is no way to change it. The descendant line comes down from the person who has married into the relationship, so it's not even consistent that it comes from the mother or father. :(
    Elaine

Comment

You might want to look at Charting Companion as an addon to FTM.
      There are some example charts on their web page - click on "sample charts" in the left hand column. It seems to offer what you are looking for.
      I've used this in the past and have to say the charts produced with CC are far superior to those available in FTM.
      Family tree software, that allows you to create family tree charts from the most popular genealogy programs on the Internet. Build your family tree today!
      Elaine

Comment

Thanks very much Elaine. I'm so disappointed that I can't do it in FTM! I bought it as a Family Tree Maker! Thanks for the CC link, yes they do seem to do what I want but I'm not wanting to spend anymore money. How hard can it be when the main screen shows the layout pretty much as I want it? I think I'll end up with no lines on the digital chart and a marker pen for the print out before the night is out!

Comment

I believe there are other tree drawing programs available, some of them free, although I've never used them. Maybe someone else can offer some suggestions.
          Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine, thanks for your earlier replies. I am now planning on buying the Charting Companion you mentioned, as I disappointed with other things now in FTM, such as not being able to show ancestors siblings easily. I hope this will work out for me and I will finally be able to produce the charts I've been planning! Thanks
            Shaeron

Comment

Working...
            X