Which to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which to buy?

Hi - My father is 93 and has reasonably good IT skills. He has pottered around with free software, but I would like to buy him a proper package. I was all for the Ancestry one but have seen poor reviews on their recently purchased products.
    Any advice on the most straightforward, reliable and reasonably priced package please?
    Thank you in anticipation.

I think that we all have our favourites but two good programmes spring to mind, RootsMagic which has a free version which can be upgraded to a paid for version if needed, the UK version can be got from S & N Genealogy. A UK authored programme is Family Historian, unfortunately they don't do a free version but you can get a 30 day free trial after which you have to buy a 'key' to continue using it. Both have good forums where people are very helpful and knowledgeable if you get stuck on anything. Hope that this helps.

Margaret.
    Margaret

Comment

I would recommend Family Historian.

The beauty of Family Historian is that it is very powerful and flexible, but you don't have to use all of the features, and can use it in a very basic way with excellent results.

For a beginner you can get up and running very quickly, and then gradually use the advanced features as you gain confidence.
      Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
      Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
      Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
      Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
      Devine in Ireland

Comment

Totally agree with Pete! Family Historian has a lovely 'Sample' family which you can play with to familiarise yourself with the way it works. It can be used on a very basic level or very complex depending on needs and ability.
        Anne

Comment

I use FH, and like it a lot (haven't upgraded to most recent edition yet).

BUT - I don't use it, but FTM's sync to your own Ancestry tree is a big draw. Would your father use it?

Comment

Family Historian all the way. As the others have said - simple to use and also the facility to link into findmypast (also MyHeritage but I would personally avoid that one) to search for records if you choose to go for that as a subscription site .

You can download a free 30 day trial to see for yourself: http://www.family-historian.co.uk/do...e-30-day-trial

The Family Tree Maker which works alongside Ancestry does appear not to be 100% reliable and I see that users often post about problems on the Facebook page.
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I have used FTM since it was under the name of Broderbund! [20yrs ago!] still use it daily and have upgraded over the years. you don't have to use the tree sync with Ancestry if you don't want to. I have found it most helpful in making my tree on Ancestry then adding sources/media to it, then downloaded it all into FTM.. saved a lot of faffing about and makes life simple.

I currently use FTM 2012, and am very happy with it.
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thank you all those who have replied to my initial query about 'Which to buy'. The consensus is clearly Family Historian. I have looked at various places to buy and there isn't much in the cost. Sorry to be a pain - but I noticed on one Amazon review that someone was cross to find you also have to subscribe to another site in order to use it. Can it be used stand alone or has it to be linked to another site with ongoing commitment?
                Appreciate your tolerance

Comment

Hi it is not the case that you have to subscribe to another site to use it. Family Historian has tips linking to MyHeritage and FindMyPast which you can easily disable if you do not have a current subscription to either site. I use Family Historian perfectly well without the tips. I believe the same situation arises with Family Tree Maker in that the wavy leaf tips to ancestry require a current subscription to ancestry (but I could easily be wrong about that).

David

Comment

Originally posted by Monami View Post
                    Thank you all those who have replied to my initial query about 'Which to buy'. The consensus is clearly Family Historian. I have looked at various places to buy and there isn't much in the cost. Sorry to be a pain - but I noticed on one Amazon review that someone was cross to find you also have to subscribe to another site in order to use it. Can it be used stand alone or has it to be linked to another site with ongoing commitment?
                    Appreciate your tolerance
                    As Trevor said, you don't have to use the facility. If you happen to have a sub it is handy, but personally I don't use it and have it switched off though i have played with it a little bit to see if there is anything I might have missed or is new since I last researched somebody.
                    Caroline
                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

The first one I looked at was findmypast, I got a free month on a promotion. I suppose that I found my way around the site and thought it was just perfect, having not very much to compare it with.

Will take a look at Familiy Historian.

Comment

Working...
                      X