No announcement yet.

FTM question please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am in even more trouble now!! At one point it asked if I wanted it to search and I foolishly clicked yes. It has now created a fictitious tree with some of my names but marrying all the wrong people!!
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
      The only tree showing as linked on FTM is the one I want.
      Can you see the same tree on both FTM and Ancestry (with exactly the same file name)?
      If so, where does it say it is linked - on FTM or on Ancestry - or both?

In my documents there is a file called Family Tree Maker with backgrounds - templates etc and one family tree and one back up showing but if I click on it I get This is not a Family Tree Maker file or it's corrupt. I think it's one I don't want that I have unlinked.
      The FTM data files which are showing in My Documents/Family Tree Maker (not the background/template ones) can you tell me what it says exactly - or do a screenshot? Has it got a current date or is it an old file?
      Elaine

Comment

I really don't understand what's going on, but at least I am back to where I was at the beginning and I have a tree. It's still the incomplete one though.
        I downloaded the main tree as a gedcom and have uploaded that to FTM. The odd thing though is that, like before, it isn't showing one branch of a family. Most odd, but I'm going to have to settle for that before I go totally bonkers.

Comment

Chrissie - downloading as a gedcom is not really the way to go. It will only be a copy of the data of your Ancestry tree, rather than a full back up copy with any source documents/images attached.

Also I cannot understand how the gedcom is incomplete. You said "like before it isn't showing one branch of a family". My gut feeling is that you are still looking at a previous tree and not the new gedcom you have just downloaded.

Would you like me to talk you through getting a full copy of your Ancestry tree on to FTM? Quite happy to do it.
          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            Can you see the same tree on both FTM and Ancestry (with exactly the same file name)?
            If so, where does it say it is linked - on FTM or on Ancestry - or both?

Both.

The FTM data files which are showing in My Documents/Family Tree Maker (not the background/template ones) can you tell me what it says exactly - or do a screenshot? Has it got a current date or is it an old file?
            It doesn't say anything exactly Elaine. They are just boxes, no dates, so could be old ones. I can't remember how to do a screenshot, but I don't think it would help as nothing is showing apart from what I have told you. If you click on the tree icons it just takes me to an Ancestry summary page, showing people in tree etc.

Just checked and it has now added the new gedcom and backup. I just don't understand why it isn't including the rest of a branch that I added over the last week - before I downloaded this gedcom. It goes as far as a husband of my ancestor, but it doesn't give his father and mother etc, which I have added to the tree on Ancestry.

Comment

Just to clarify Chrissie. You say you downloaded a GEDCOM - did you do that via the EXPORT TREE function on Ancestry ?
              Elaine

Comment

Chrissie - downloading as a gedcom is not really the way to go. It will only be a copy of the data of your Ancestry tree, rather than a full back up copy with any source documents/images attached.

Also I cannot understand how the gedcom is incomplete. You said "like before it isn't showing one branch of a family". My gut feeling is that you are still looking at a previous tree and not the new gedcom you have just downloaded.

Would you like me to talk you through getting a full copy of your Ancestry tree on to FTM? Quite happy to do it.
                That's a really kind offer. Unfortunately I have to dash away now. I got carried away and only just spotted the time!!

Comment

Just to clarify Chrissie. You say you downloaded a GEDCOM - did you do that via the EXPORT TREE function on Ancestry ?
                  Yes

Comment

Can I make a suggestion - try this method.

First of all go to Ancestry and find the master tree that you want. Make sure it has a distinctive name - different from all others - and different from the GEDCOM you just downloaded - just so we/you can be sure you are looking at the right file once it's downloaded!

Open FTM - I am using screenshots from FTM2014, but I don't think there is much difference between that and FTM2012 if that is what you are using.
                    Click on PLAN and then select the New Tree tab
                    Select DOWNLOAD A TREE FROM ANCESTRY

Under the "Start a new tree" section there is a box marked "Link to Ancestry" - make sure it is ticked.
                    Select the Ancestry tree that you wish to copy (download) into FTM.
                    On the right hand side of the page there is an "action column" - select DOWNLOAD

This box will then appear. I would suggest you click on the "MANUAL" option, rather than automatic synchronization.
                    Click CONTINUE

You should then see this:

Now on your computer, go to MY DOCUMENTS >> FAMILY TREE MAKER. Can you see the new tree in there.

I have just done one to test the system and it created 3 new entries in the Family Tree Maker folder - which looked like this

If your Ancestry tree included media items then you will probably also have a folder which is called treename Media.

Now close down FTM.
                    Then reopen it.
                    Can you see the tree you have just brought down from Ancestry and does it contain all your data?

If it does, break open the champagne. If not, I give up .. only joking of course !
                    Elaine

Comment

I have just followed your instructions and changed the names apart from the main one. Then I went into FTM and it is still showing the same thing as before. Then I looked for instructions how to do a screenshot and finally I have managed to do one and add it to photobucket. Have to dash again now but this is what I get -

Comment

So is the Allpress family tree you current master tree? If so it seems to have downloaded and has opened into FTM as I can see the file name at the top left of page.
                        Go to the top of the page and click on PEOPLE.
                        Does that take you to your tree - and does it match your Ancestry one ??

- and don't worry about not responding straight away. I'm dipping in and out this afternoon as well. Supposed to be in the kitchen doing some baking!
                        Elaine

Comment

Gosh, I hardly dare say this but ............it seems to have worked That screen shot I did looked exactly like it had earlier, with the exception of the tree names I changed, but it hadn't added a branch then. Now it has
                          Thank you SO much for sticking with me through it all If it hadn't been for you I was about to give up whilst I still had my sanity.

p.s. Perhaps now I can get some gardening done in the sunshine
                          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 04-05-16, 15:06.

Comment

Non of the photos are on it - should they be?

Comment

The media sometimes takes a while to come down so check again later.

If you followed the instructions I gave earlier then at the moment you are on a manual sync rather than auto sync. This means you have to tell FTM when you want it to synchronise with your Ancestry tree. Personally I would leave it at that as there seems to be a lot of problems lately with the autosync.
                              If you do keep to manual sync then it's best that you use either FTM or Ancestry for adding your data - rather than using whichever one takes your fancy. At least then you will know which tree has the most up to date information.
                              Elaine

Comment

Thanks again Elaine I didn't need to go as far as the sync choice before the tree popped up on FTM. So it will still be set to automatic at the moment. I have only been adding on Ancestry for ages. It was only in the past, when I used to search on my computer while hubby was adding what I found to the FTM on his laptop. That was a few years ago though and may account for the multiple similar trees I ended up with at the time.
                                I will be patient for the photographs then.

Comment

Thanks again Elaine I didn't need to go as far as the sync choice before the tree popped up on FTM.
                                  So did you not get to the second image on post #29 ???
                                  At that point you have a choice to sync manually or automatically.
                                  Elaine

Comment

So did you not get to the second image on post #29 ???
                                    At that point you have a choice to sync manually or automatically.
                                    No, I changed the names of the other trees, then went back in and did the screen shot. When I went back in again I clicked on the names and up it popped.

Comment

Do you mean that the tree popped up in the list that I have marked with a red arrow

xx.jpg

If so - they are your ANCESTRY trees - not your FTM trees.

I am beginning to think that the tree you are looking at (in FTm) which doesn't have photos is actually the GEDCOM that you downloaded earlier which would have come down as data only, no photos!

.. and I've just had another thought.

In your screenshot in post #30 - against the Allpress family tree (in the Ancestry tree listing) it says "not linked to this machine".

Are you using two different computers - if so you can't. You can only synchronise Ancestry/FTM files between Ancestry and one computer.
                                      Elaine

Comment

Oh dear Elaine, I think you may be right. I did that linking from an old computer which I don't have any longer. Is there no way to change which computer it's linked to? Strange if not because everyone changes their computer from time to time.

Comment

Open Ancestry.
                                          Select TREES - and then select the name of the tree that we are trying to sort out!

At the top left, hover your cursor over the name of the tree and you should get a drop down list (see screenshot)

xx.jpg

Select TREE SETTINGS
                                          Scroll down and on the right you will see an option to UNLINK tree.

Once that is done you can follow the instructions I gave in the post #29. The only problem we have now is that you already have a tree on your computer called Allpress family tree which is the GEDCOM you downloaded earlier.

So before you try to download from Ancestry can I suggest :
                                          Go to MY DOCUMENTS >> FAMILY TREE MAKER.
                                          Find the FTM files which have the filename of Allpress family tree and temporarily give them another name. You can right click on the file name - select rename - and just change them to something else, e.g. Allpress family tree old - in fact anything so we know that they are from the previous attempt.

Once you have done that you should be ready to download from Ancestry. Fingers crossed we will then be sorted!
                                          The new downloaded file should automatically go into FTM and all you will need to do is click on PEOPLE at the top of the screen and it should take you directly to the tree.

Good luck!
                                          Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                          X