Family Historian 5 Missing Media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Historian 5 Missing Media

I use Family Historian 5. This is on my main desk top computer. I have a relatively new laptop running with the dreaded Windows 10 (thats another story). I loaded FH5 onto the laptop. Then from my desktop (running with wonderful Windows 7) I copied the latest backup file of two projects onto a memory stick.

I then tried to import these copies onto the laptop. All seemed well until I looked at the photographs. All I get is a list of files but where the thumb nail of the photo should be there is only a box with a cross in it. Some photo have appeared but only about 5%. Can anyone please help me?

Should I simply delete the projects on the laptop and start again. If so, what is the sequence of steps I should take to get my projects onto the laptop.

Your help would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Linda, I use Family Historian 5 too and love it.

I think you would be better advised to post this on the FHUG website which is for Family Historian users. They help with lots of queries.
    The website is www.fhug.org.uk
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I would guess that on your desktop the media list within FH was linking to a location elsewhere on the computer so when you loaded onto the laptop the photos weren't copied over.
      eg if I click on media on my FH prog the location of the pic is shown as C:\Documents and Settings\admin\My Documents\My Pictures\AuntieFlo.jpeg
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

This should help:

I've never done it that way as I stopped keeping my pictures linked a long time and many computers and versions ago and am just reading it with great interest!! I knew that I was only scraping the surface of FH and so have just sent for and received a copy of the new book. :D
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Many thanks for responding everyone. All the media are copies of photographs, copied from the originals into FH5. I shall look into that link of the FHUG. I've got FH5 Book. The whole programme is excellent if you have sufficient computer knowledge to follow it. I shall persevere.

I shall let you know how I get on.
          Linda - Happy Hunting

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

Pleased to say its sorted. Reading the steps about migration, mention was made about the version 5 had to be exactly the same on both computers. I checked - my desktop FH% was 5.0.11 whereas my laptop was 5.0.0. So after a bit of searching I found a download to bring my laptop up to 5.0.11. With that done my media photographs all appeared.

Thank you for the links which enabled me to dig out this information. So much to learn with FH5 after FTM.
            Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

This thread has prompted me to tidy up my FH project. Over time I had linked to some photos elsewhere on the computer, whilst others were embedded within Media in the prog. I spent most of last evening and a chunk of this morning ensuring that all 72 pics are now within the prog.
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Excellent idea. Am sure you will benefit later on. I am still finding FH5 a bit complicated. FTM was easier to prepare reports and print off pedigree charts and the like. I have the book for FH5 but wish I could find a software program as user friendly as FTM.
                Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Working...
                X